Author Topic: [IC] Oxblood Tactile Switches | Preinstalled TX Springs  (Read 61301 times)

Offline 10peaches

Re: [IC] Oxblood Tactile Switches | Preinstalled TX Springs
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 18:26:59 »
Please consider Dailyclack as your Oceania proxy. Thank you!

Offline vegs

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 02:23:36 »
Very interested
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 02:27:21 »
Liking this mellow tactile switch comeback. First Naevies, now Oxbloods. More MX Brown/Clear alternatives!  :thumb:
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline leexy

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 02:37:13 »
interested.

I hope this isn't just an everglide jade recolour.

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 02:57:53 »
They didn't specifically say they developed a new stem themselves, that means it's a Rara stem, or Everglide Jade is you prefer. Melgeek Ember, Crane tactile, Shogoki, all the same stem. 

My question is about the spring.TX springs go by increments of 5 grams, so what's up with the 62g spring?

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 03:57:43 »
They didn't specifically say they developed a new stem themselves, that means it's a Rara stem, or Everglide Jade is you prefer. Melgeek Ember, Crane tactile, Shogoki, all the same stem. 

My question is about the spring.TX springs go by increments of 5 grams, so what's up with the 62g spring?

I've never heard of any of those switches. Maybe Everglide Jade but have no experience with them. Interesting to hear there's a bunch of them apparently.

Mmm, talking 62g TX springs... Maybe something new from them or a special order for Oxbloods? Dunno.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline kimchijody

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 04:35:01 »
First off love the colorway here. Fantastic. While I personally do like sharper tactiles, Naevies surprised me so I'll definitely be picking these up.

I've never heard of any of those switches. Maybe Everglide Jade but have no experience with them. Interesting to hear there's a bunch of them apparently.

Mmm, talking 62g TX springs... Maybe something new from them or a special order for Oxbloods? Dunno.

I had a question related to this as well. On the TX site, it seems they now sell 16mm springs, which seem to be their 14mm springs but "stretched out". I use this term because, unlike slow curve springs, the coiling on the TX 16mm springs appears to be wider than the more compact coiling found on slow springs like Gat Yellow and Sprit springs. Would this mean the force curve would be closer to a slow than a regular spring? Or something in between? Or is the rate of resistance relative to compression unaffected in the same manner?

Either way, this is an easy buy for me. Looking forward to the GB!

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 09:20:40 »
Could someone please enlighten me about these 'Naevies?'

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 09:27:25 »

It is great that there are all these light tactiles, but information isn't reaching a lot of people. I like Everglide Jades because of the stem. But I've never heard of the 'Rara' stem. Was it mentioned here previously?

I may have heard of the Melgeek Ember in passing in some commercial e-mail, same with the Crane. I don't think the Shogoki has been developed yet? These are all 'Rara' derivatives?

I had a question related to this as well. On the TX site, it seems they now sell 16mm springs, which seem to be their 14mm springs but "stretched out". I use this term because, unlike slow curve springs, the coiling on the TX 16mm springs appears to be wider than the more compact coiling found on slow springs like Gat Yellow and Sprit springs. Would this mean the force curve would be closer to a slow than a regular spring? Or something in between? Or is the rate of resistance relative to compression unaffected in the same manner?

Either way, this is an easy buy for me. Looking forward to the GB!

I think you're right. I'm told that the new 62 gr spring used in the Oxblood is based on TX's new line of 16mm springs. I don't know the characteristics, but the 62 is part of the new line. If they are slow-curve like you suggest, those would be good for Ergo Clear operation, in my experience. You can make them light and poppy with slow-curve. Maybe too poppy.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 10:42:01 »
It's my understanding that they are aiming for something in between MX Brown and Clear.

This is correct, with a leaning towards browns.

It's my understanding that this is a different stem than those actually, but I'm requesting more information as questions arise here.
Samples haven't been received yet, but when they are I'll have someone compare, since I dont personally have any of those at the moment.

The 14mm springs go by increments of 5, but technically there is a 62g variant as well (possibly 67 too?). Since these will be the newer 16mm, this weight is one of the default options.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 11:30:28 »
It's my understanding that they are aiming for something in between MX Brown and Clear.

It's my understanding that this is a different stem than those actually, but I'm requesting more information as questions arise here.
Samples haven't been received yet, but when they are I'll have someone compare, since I dont personally have any of those at the moment.

The 14mm springs go by increments of 5, but technically there is a 62g variant as well (possibly 67 too?). Since these will be the newer 16mm, this weight is one of the default options.
From just a quick peak at the Everglide Jade I have, the oxblood samples are already far less tactile. But the ones I have are v1s, so if they ended up shaving the bump from 1 to 2 for the everglides, I can potentially see the comparison. And personally, the Jades are still far too tactile even while being regarded as ergo clear inspired.

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 14:12:46 »

A v1 zealios would do for comparison if you have that. Although I hope it's a new stem design like you thought it might be, it would be great to have more options.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 15:35:15 »

I'm surprised to learn that the Everglide Jade stem is a RARA. The first reason is, people talk about the Everglide Jade as a kind of copy of Zealio V1. Or at least resembling it.

Second, I have read that the 62 gr JWK RARA felt as though the spring was barely enough to actuate it, i.e. it should have a heavier spring.

And yet the Everglide Jade works just fine at 58 gr. Best of 3 weights I tested (also 60 and 62 gr). Is the success of the lower spring weight because the Everglide housing of the Jade is a linear housing, whereas the JWK housing is a tactile one?

Offline Little4Real

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 18:38:48 »
Any way to do full nylon housing?

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 20:59:27 »
A v1 zealios would do for comparison if you have that. Although I hope it's a new stem design like you thought it might be, it would be great to have more options.

Second that. A comparison to Zealio V1 would be most educational.

Offline vaf1en

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 05:35:02 »
With this whole vegan-hostile theme you have going, would it not be obvious with a beefier spring, say like 78g?

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 05:50:20 »
Lol 78g ergo clears? I doubt anyone would actually use those springs.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 September 2020, 05:51:58 by lakeboredom »

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 07:46:14 »
With this whole vegan-hostile theme you have going, would it not be obvious with a beefier spring, say like 78g?

Is leather vegan hostile? lol   :p

Offline shimalazor

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 07:46:58 »
I'm in

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 08:20:16 »
Is this going to be GB only or a stocked item? I'm curious how they compare to SKCM orange and brown but not sure I want to make a blind purchase without any force curves or comparisons.

edit: caught up on page 2, SKCM orange and brown offer the more drawn out experience I like. Good luck with the GB!
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 September 2020, 08:27:07 by directheatedtriode »

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 08:31:35 »
Is this going to be GB only or a stocked item? I'm curious how they compare to SKCM orange and brown but not sure I want to make a blind purchase without any force curves or comparisons.

edit: caught up on page 2, SKCM orange and brown offer the more drawn out experience I like. Good luck with the GB!

You'd be hard pressed to find any mx switch similar in tactility to alps honestly.

These will be GB, but I'm sure some vendors may buy extras for in stock.

Offline niakulah

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 18:16:09 »
All the goodness of a spring swapped Cherry Brown, but none of the stigma?

Definitely something to watch.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 18:49:05 »
All the goodness of a spring swapped Cherry Brown, but none of the stigma?

Definitely something to watch.

For real though.

All the browns I've tried are "vintage" (Compaq 11800 and 1838, old Kinesis Advantage) but I think that moniker is just a way to keep other people from doubting my superior taste.

Browns with a slightly heavier spring but less friction probably feel similar but better anyway.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 19:26:56 »
I'm not sure these are only "slightly" heavier than MX Brown springs.

62 Spirits, at least, are like a more forceful MX Blue spring. And Korean 62 G is more than enough to drive a U4 tactile stem [much more tactile than MX Brown].

So this may be overkill. 60G TX already might be more powerful than MX Brown springs. Maybe we should be looking at 60 G from the new line-up.

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 19:30:46 »

I'm not sure these are only "slightly" heavier than MX Brown springs.

62 Spirits, at least, are like a more forceful MX Blue spring. And Korean 62 G is more than enough to drive a U4 tactile stem [much more tactile than MX Brown].

So this may be overkill. 60G TX already might be more powerful than MX Brown springs. Maybe we should be looking at 60 G from the new line-up.

MX browns have a bottom out force of 60cn

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 20:19:56 »
Supposed to. I remembering reading that a lot of them bottomed out around 58. But that would have been different batches / different times.

Spirit springs are sometimes said to be heavier than, for example, TX springs of the same weight. Such as 65 gr.

I figure 60 G TX is at least more consistent than the spring in a Cherry Brown, which could place the operating weight a tiny bit higher than some batches.

Anyway, I'm just saying 62 is poppier than many might think. I got that impression from testing light tactiles recently.

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 20:39:34 »
Supposed to. I remembering reading that a lot of them bottomed out around 58. But that would have been different batches / different times.

Spirit springs are sometimes said to be heavier than, for example, TX springs of the same weight. Such as 65 gr.

I figure 60 G TX is at least more consistent than the spring in a Cherry Brown, which could place the operating weight a tiny bit higher than some batches.

Anyway, I'm just saying 62 is poppier than many might think. I got that impression from testing light tactiles recently.
I think whats often overlooked is the impact that the tactile bump has on the perceived resistance. 62g tangies feel a lot lighter than 55g u4 outemu's. I doubt a difference of a couple of grams would change the feel as much as a different tactile bump - which is what I'm most interested to hear about. I'm all for a smoother MX Brown to be honest because I find them to be just tactile enough to prevent accidental key presses when typing but light enough for gaming.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 20:43:06 »
I think we're all on the same page here, in terms of what we want.

A smoother MX Brown would be awesome. Something that might happen if this switch is leaning closer to Brown than Clear.

If that's the case, that's why I'm saying that 62 gr is poppy. 62 doesn't feel like it's 2 grams heavier than 60, it feels heavier or stronger.

So it might be overkill for a Brown-styled stem. But not a Clear stem, which 62 can often actuate pretty vigorously.

I'm not against 62 gr or anything, I'm just pointing out that it's heavy for a Brown stem. I use it with Clears and OUTEMU Sky / Silent Sky, and you can drive the latter with 60 TX without lube.

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 20:46:13 »
I think we're all on the same page here, in terms of what we want.

A smoother MX Brown would be awesome. Something that might happen if this switch is leaning closer to Brown than Clear.

If that's the case, that's why I'm saying that 62 gr is poppy. 62 doesn't feel like it's 2 grams heavier than 60, it feels heavier or stronger.

So it might be overkill for a Brown-styled stem. But not a Clear stem, which 62 can often actuate pretty vigorously.

I'm not against 62 gr or anything, I'm just pointing out that it's heavy for a Brown stem. I use it with Clears and OUTEMU Sky / Silent Sky, and you can drive the latter with 60 TX without lube.
Gotcha. If the stem ends up similar to a brown stem I would probably end up spring swapping for 45-50g anyway

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 20:49:35 »
62g is my personal preference in spring weight, and it's the reason I chose it for the first option. The project started as a way to fill a need I personally had honestly.

There is a chance I could offer an additional spring weight in the buy, but I'd like to get the samples in hand first and test a few. Based on speaking with quite a few people paired with the feedback on the form, it's looking like 55g is the most requested second weight currently though. 

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 20:57:34 »
That makes a lot of sense. 55 G TX also has a good reputation.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 20:58:36 »

Offline niakulah

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 00:24:36 »

On my 2nd board, I spring swapped my Cherry Brown to 80g (generic China spring). It was very nice, but it was cushioning the bottom out a bit too much for my tastes (not enough thock!).

On my current board I'm using 67g and I think it's just nice (for me).

Offline chaoticgood

« Reply #83 on: Sun, 20 September 2020, 23:05:47 »
says vegan-hostile and beefier in the same sentence icu  :D :D :D

Offline msv

« Reply #84 on: Tue, 22 September 2020, 07:17:41 »
Thoughts on adding TX films by default also? Most people take the time to film their JWK switches anyway.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 22 September 2020, 10:43:19 »
I just noticed that you said this will be the new 16mm spring from TX.  I will advise you to note that those springs feel at least one weighting heavier than the 14mm (normal) springs.  I've been testing 3 different weights (75g, 70g, and 67g).  The 16mm/67g feel slightly heavier than the 14mm/70g springs at the top. That's the nature of these longer springs.  You get more of the full force of the spring up front.  What I'm saying is, if you like traditonal 62g linear springs (say somethign close to a gateron yellow), these 16mm springs will feel noticably heavier at the top.  I like them... just warning.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 22 September 2020, 11:10:09 »
I just noticed that you said this will be the new 16mm spring from TX.  I will advise you to note that those springs feel at least one weighting heavier than the 14mm (normal) springs.  I've been testing 3 different weights (75g, 70g, and 67g).  The 16mm/67g feel slightly heavier than the 14mm/70g springs at the top. That's the nature of these longer springs.  You get more of the full force of the spring up front.  What I'm saying is, if you like traditonal 62g linear springs (say somethign close to a gateron yellow), these 16mm springs will feel noticably heavier at the top.  I like them... just warning.

16mm is currently tentative. Once samples are in hand, I'll be trying 16mm and 14mm of both 55g and 62g and see how they both feel. I was worried that 16mm might cause too much of a weight shift anyway, which is why I'm wanting to feel it out more. Especially considering the goal is a more ergonomic switch.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #87 on: Tue, 22 September 2020, 11:10:45 »
Thoughts on adding TX films by default also? Most people take the time to film their JWK switches anyway.

There will be bundling options for films as well, I'm sure you'll be pleased when the buy goes live :)

Offline RedJohn456

« Reply #88 on: Tue, 22 September 2020, 16:20:47 »
I am SOOOO in. I love love light tactile switches and currently running Greetech Browns on my main board , and ergo clears with 63.5g springs on my other board. I am really excited to try the oxbloods out and will def plan a build around it.

Offline chaoticgood

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 22 September 2020, 19:48:40 »

16mm is currently tentative. Once samples are in hand, I'll be trying 16mm and 14mm of both 55g and 62g and see how they both feel. I was worried that 16mm might cause too much of a weight shift anyway, which is why I'm wanting to feel it out more. Especially considering the goal is a more ergonomic switch.

Will you be starting a discord server for the IC or GB phase?

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 22 September 2020, 20:50:04 »

Will you be starting a discord server for the IC or GB phase?

I will likely host a channel in a friends server, similar to Slasher

Offline beigeandbrown

« Reply #91 on: Tue, 22 September 2020, 23:19:34 »
I think these are the only switch group buys that should happen. I feel like I see so often switch recolors that don't truly add anything. Such a great idea just starting off with the best springs from the get go, and including films is just the cherry on top. I think another thing that might just make this even more friendly for people that are obviously just gonna open them up and lube them is to leave everything unassembled so we don't have to spend an hour doing that ourselves haha. Might even lower costs.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 01:52:15 »
I agree with the sentiment about shipping disassembled switches. But the problem is, the individual switch components are much more vulnerable to bad package handling than an assembled switch. You can get some OUTEMU switches disassembled. But there are greater risks involved in the process.

I don't see many manufacturers doing it, and that probably applies here.

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 01:58:16 »
I agree with the sentiment about shipping disassembled switches. But the problem is, the individual switch components are much more vulnerable to bad package handling than an assembled switch. You can get some OUTEMU switches disassembled. But there are greater risks involved in the process.

I don't see many manufacturers doing it, and that probably applies here.
I can't agree more. I just recently purchased some Outemu housings and u4 stems and 2 of the leaves in the Outemu bases were bent. That will be the first and last time I buy switches that aren't assembled.

Offline titanium

« Reply #94 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 04:40:52 »

The 16mm springs by TX look and feel similar enough to the sprit slow springs that its safe to assume (for me at least) that the actuation weight is increased by 5~ from the standard cherry springs that go by the formula: actuation weight +15 = bottom out weight.

With that said, 55g 16mm feels really similar to cherry brown spring which has a bottom out of 60g. If you are trying to stay around the cherry spring feel, I would wager either 55g or 57g 16mm, OR 62g 14mm are our candidates.

I have been a cherry brown believer for 8 years now and am running out of vints so I hope this project goes smoothly and tries to replicate the vint brown tactility. Modern browns have about 75% of a vintage browns tactility for those wondering(in my opinion).

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 09:05:16 »
I don't know if these will be like Vint Browns. But that is a worthy project on its own. I'm sure we'll learn something from this experiment.

I've read that we've been doing Browns 'wrong' for decades. The vint Browns were smoother, and a little more tactile. So modern Browns are 'wrong' out-of-the-box. In addition, the vint Browns were often put in setups that were less rigid than the modern aluminium full-plate tray mount. They were in plateless or half-plate setups, or on bouncier plates that provided greater perceived tactility.

So it would be nice to replicate that 'vintage' set-up. If Oxblood is closer to vint Browns, for example, maybe you could put them in a JER-A06 or something.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 12:05:48 »
To be clear, the project spawned from me also running out of Vint browns haha. I chose to steer away from explicitly mentioning this in the summary because of the stigma that we all know about at this point.

Once I have switches in hand I'll be testing lengths and weights for the springs side by side to determine what I personally like the most, and in addition the one that feels closest to my stock vintage browns.

Aiming for those 2 goals simply because my preferred setup is vint browns spring swapped with Sprit or TX 62g, but I know that a lot of vint brown users prefer to lube the spring to reduce ping and nothing else.

The 16mm springs by TX look and feel similar enough to the sprit slow springs that its safe to assume (for me at least) that the actuation weight is increased by 5~ from the standard cherry springs that go by the formula: actuation weight +15 = bottom out weight.

With that said, 55g 16mm feels really similar to cherry brown spring which has a bottom out of 60g. If you are trying to stay around the cherry spring feel, I would wager either 55g or 57g 16mm, OR 62g 14mm are our candidates.

I have been a cherry brown believer for 8 years now and am running out of vints so I hope this project goes smoothly and tries to replicate the vint brown tactility. Modern browns have about 75% of a vintage browns tactility for those wondering(in my opinion).

I've heard the same from quite a few people regarding the 55g, so I have high hopes for it as a second option.

I'm not sure what it may have been in the past, but 62g has always felt softer and lighter for me after swapping them in, but I'm hearing a lot of people say the opposite haha. Same for the tactility it seems. All of the vint browns I've used and owned have had a smoother and more rounded tactility than newer browns, even pre-lube.

Offline chaoticgood

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 24 September 2020, 02:07:52 »
How far along are you into the design and prototyping? Any timeline for GB?

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 24 September 2020, 04:14:44 »
I have to say I am very interested in these switches. I just bought a Pandora with half-plate and a "light" tactile switch sounds perfect for it. That said, I'd be more confident in buying if we have reviews from prominent keeb enthusiasts before the Group Buy.

Offline crestia

« Reply #99 on: Fri, 25 September 2020, 01:22:25 »
Any way to do full nylon housing?

would like to see a nylon top housing too... but interested nonetheless.