Author Topic: How to allow Membrane Keyboard to push more than 3 Keys?  (Read 2362 times)

Offline wezza2

How to allow Membrane Keyboard to push more than 3 Keys?
« on: Wed, 09 August 2023, 06:34:06 »
Hi, I'm SUPER new to the keyboard community and was wondering on what I would need to do for allowing my Membrane Keyboard to have more than 3 keys pushed.
Keyboard - Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600

Reasoning: I have a loud hand-me-down mechanical keyboard that I've always hated, looking to go back to my old Membrane Keyboard but there is a few issues.
The sole reason why I stick to Mechanical is because I have push to talk on Discord (loud area, only talk when needed). I'd head back to my Membrane but using it for games really messes up inputs. I use CAPS LOCK to talk and while playing, pushing WASD and Space to Jump or CTRL to Crouch. All those inputs just cancel out when I need them the most. Another reason for switching back is for my GF, my fast typing and loud keyboard make it unbearable to be around. I still like the feel of the slim membrane keyboard but we both know I can't use it.

Cannot afford the better Mechanical Keyboards or even get better switches and lube for the keys (whole reason for the hand-me-down). I thought buying my cheap 14$ Keyboard and wiring it up myself would save me a lot.

I saw a video about wiring up a membrane to add more than 3 key inputs YEARS ago but I can't find it anywhere anymore. I'm having a hard time finding where to start or if its actually even possible to do it.
This will be my first time wiring anything as I have no knowledge on what goes where.
I just have flux, soldering iron, and a heat gun.

Offline LASERman Projects

• Soldering is my native language.
Re: How to allow Membrane Keyboard to push more than 3 Keys?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 August 2023, 06:47:29 »
I saw a video about wiring up a membrane to add more than 3 key inputs ...
The key rollover has to be handled by keyboard chip and the reason your keyboard is not doing it is most likely that it's chip is simply not capable of doing just that.
This "wire up" you saw probably involves upgrading the chip controlling the keyboard.
I'm pretty sure those days finding cheap quiet keyboard with NKRO should be not impossible and surely easier than re-making yours.
Good luck!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 August 2023, 06:14:44 »
The wiring also matters.

You can get sub $30 mechanical keyboards these days with nkey rollover.
You're going top pay several bucks for a controller, a few bucks for some wire, a few more for shipping... And now you've barely saved any money, and you probably broke something. Enjoy your board and start saving for a better one.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Prince Valiant

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 12 August 2023, 10:57:52 »
As Leslieann points out, you can easily find keyboards for low prices nowadays and it's hard to justify modifying something even with parts and tools on hand. What's the make/model/keyswitches of the mechanical KB you have?

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 14 August 2023, 02:07:47 »
...What's the make/model/keyswitches of the mechanical KB you have?
As per title he has a membrane one.

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 14 August 2023, 02:16:45 »
Cannot afford the better Mechanical Keyboards or even get better switches and lube for the keys...
I thought buying my cheap 14$ Keyboard and wiring it up myself would save me a lot...
I just have flux, soldering iron, and a heat gun...
It might be better to say that modding the loud but capable mechanical keyboard is surely easier and most likely cheaper than converting membrane one.

Offline Prince Valiant

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 14 August 2023, 09:19:25 »
As per title he has a membrane one.

It might be better to say that modding the loud but capable mechanical keyboard is surely easier and most likely cheaper than converting membrane one.
The poster has a mechanical KB as well, unless I've misunderstood the original post. I also planned on suggesting they modify the mechanical KB. I wanted to get more information first so members with experience have something to work with. I can only offer more generic suggestions like o-rings and a thin foam or other material (if plate mounted). I believe there's risk of damaging the switches with lube if improperly applied?

Edit: It doesn't seem as though wezza is coming back after nearly a week.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 August 2023, 11:52:08 by Prince Valiant »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 August 2023, 05:46:51 »

Because it's a spammer.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Prince Valiant

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 15 August 2023, 07:32:06 »

Because it's a spammer.
Thanks. I was wondering.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 15 August 2023, 08:04:50 »

Because it's a spammer.
Thanks. I was wondering.

Indeed. Since the topic did generate some useful discussion, I have just removed the spam links, but will leave this thread up, in case the information here is useful to someone else in the future.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)