Author Topic: Input devices and programmability  (Read 3223 times)

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
Input devices and programmability
« on: Tue, 18 May 2010, 22:40:52 »
Just a ponder; it transcends both keyboards and mice.

Why are so few devices programmable in firmware?  For example, I just got a Kensington Orbit with wheel, and although TrackballWorks is nice and lets me configure it ideally for left-handed use, I can't save the revised behavior to the device if I take it to another PC without add-on software.

I understand SOME programmable keyboards - the Cherries, for example, do store the settings, but I think a lot of the gamer-1337 ones don't.

EEPROMs are cheap, people!
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Zalusithix

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 May 2010, 23:48:18 »
I've wondered this myself. With the cheapness and  power of modern day chips it just makes no sense to me. All decently high end input devices should have the ability to program a number of different layouts. Per application switching of modes can be as simple as the driver for the device sending out a command to the device to change profiles.

But then again, this is the age where companies would rather stick pointless LCDs and LEDs on everything. Actual useful features be damned.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 May 2010, 00:10:06 »
Probably because the development and support costs would be higher. It only took Logitech about two years to upgrade the firmware in the G9 mouse so you could make one of its buttons work as a modifier key (Shift, Control or Alt). The Nostromo N52te is able to emulate mouse clicks, but it won't work reliably and I don't think they even tried to fix that. The Gateway 2000 Anykey keyboard was undoubtedly useful to anyone aware of its abilities, but caused problems for the majority of users who had no idea why keys would suddenly do strange things.

Manufacturers must think these things are more trouble than they are worth.

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http:///elitekeyboards.com
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 May 2010, 00:56:47 »
Most consumer input devices are based on boiled down micro-controllers that only handle the bare minimum of tasks, so an EEPROM does become another cost that could add up when you mass produce.

However, the few cents it takes to use a slightly more capable controller is of negligible consequence to the end-user price, the real cost is that you need to spend a sizable amount on software development; i.e. custom communication protocol for programming the device and a user interface to do the programming, not to mention the underlying driver tweaking, testing, etc...just making it all work reliably and consistently on different versions of windows or other OSes could make up 25% or more of your cost to develop the device, and then you still got to have a market to sell it into...and as Rajagra mentioned, you need additional support, particularly if you cut corners in the software development area to begin with.

People that would really get the most out of such a device have the money to pay for the ones that do exist, i.e Retail POS, or more likely, they skip the programmable part and just get something made for them, i.e. the Bloomberg keyboard

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 May 2010, 00:59:59 »
yet, there are programmable devices, done using an interception driver or utility.  Honestly, I think that's the big thing I like better about the DT225 over the Orbit, since the '225 seems a bit sluggish and stiff-- I can force it to be left-handed.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 May 2010, 01:03:48 »
OMG. I just realised you can put a mini SD card in the HHKB expansion slot.

It was tough to get it in, but you can do anything with the right tools.

« Last Edit: Wed, 19 May 2010, 01:12:00 by Rajagra »

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 May 2010, 01:34:36 »
Does it do anything?
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 19 May 2010, 08:52:26 »
No, just kidding. :smile:

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 19 May 2010, 09:49:29 »
Your pants shouldn't come up to your nipples, either.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 May 2010, 10:21:59 »
Don't forget your fanny pack, either.  They're a lot easier to tote than a "carry-all."

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 19 May 2010, 11:06:15 »
Quote from: ripster;184135
When my son and I go to Japan I'm gonna wear bright white tube socks going up to my knees so nobody mistakes me for a local.

LOL. First Google image result for "typical american":

Coincidence?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 19 May 2010, 11:21:50 »
Awesome.

Offline JBert

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 15:52:35 »
Lack of programmability is why I need to resort to hacks like Autohotkey. Sure, it works, but the layout is far from ideal and sometimes it will send the regular keys instead of the remapped ones.

More reasons why the miniguru is worth buying - if the price is right.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 May 2010, 15:57:51 by JBert »
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 17:43:34 »
I nearly bought a Gateway2000 Anykey off ebay to use the controller as a basis for a project. But the starting price was £50 (which somebody bid on.) Too much for what I wanted it for. :sad: