Author Topic: Multiple Monitors  (Read 3546 times)

Offline unicomp

Multiple Monitors
« on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 17:06:43 »
I have been using a multiple monitor setup for several years now and was wondering how many other users of this forum do too. Perhaps a picture thread is in order.

I have always been of the opinion that if one tries a multiple monitor setup then it will be difficult to return to using a single monitor on the computer due to the experience being so nice. However recently I have been using a laptop and have been unable to use an external monitor. I have come to the somewhat strange conclusion that another monitor attached to the laptop would actually not be that useful to me at this time. It feels somewhat wasteful having two monitors which were reasonably expensive when I bought them just sitting in boxes not attached to anything; I have a large urge to get one back out again, however logic tells me that this will be useless.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Multiple Monitors
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 17:16:39 »
Current setup is a 20" monitor and a 17" one, but I'd like to just have a single 30" one.

Offline Zalusithix

Multiple Monitors
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 17:22:56 »
I've used two monitors for around 6 years now. (Currently 2 24" 1920x1200s) I can't imagine ever going back to a single monitor by choice. Being able to offload chat/file browser/etc windows off to a secondary monitor and keep a web browser up in full screen on the primary monitor is reason enough for me to want more than one. And that's just the boring stuff that most people end up using their computer to do. When it comes to coding, graphics work, and gaming, multiple monitors are damn near a necessity once you get used to having them.

Offline unicomp

Multiple Monitors
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 17:29:21 »
I suppose that it has been my being forced to use a single monitor that has prompted a perhaps semi-permanent return to the technology. The only use I have had in recent years for the second monitor is to enable the viewing of films/videos whilst browsing the internet.

Offline Phaedrus2129

Multiple Monitors
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 17:31:59 »
I've got a 21" Samsung SyncMaster and an Acer 19".
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Multiple Monitors
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 17:35:54 »
This inspires me to make a poll...

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Multiple Monitors
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 17:43:43 »
I've used various dual monitor configurations. I currently use a 24" and 27.5".
I've used: 17", 19", 23", 24", 27.5", 30". I don't care for a monitor under 22" or so as a single (I've used 19" alone and as a second and wasn't happy). I am not a programmer/IT. I do what the vast majority of people do (without the gaming portion), but also view building plans for work. The large screen size is really needed for that purpose. Often, I just use the 24" alone.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Mith

Multiple Monitors
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 23:47:42 »
I used to have 19" + 15" dual which was both painful and distracting. Now I'm just using my 19" :)

Dual monitors vertically could work okayish, or 3 monitors horizontally.

Offline hyperlinked

Multiple Monitors
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 21 June 2010, 00:04:09 »
I used to use a 23" (4:3) and a 24" (16:9) side by side, but I really wanted more vertical space and like Input Nirvana I found that I usually didn't use my secondary monitor or at times I ended up staring all the time at the secondary monitor instead.

Having to turn my head to the left to use the second monitor was making my neck hurt so I finally bit the bullet and spent lots of keyboard money to buy a 30" monitor instead. ;)
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline DreymaR

• Colemak forum guy
    • DreymaR's Big Bag of Kbd Tricks
Multiple Monitors
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 21 June 2010, 01:34:34 »
Dual if I can get it. I even use to salvage old CRTs at work so they can be my second monitor since they're big but old. My Sony Trinitron 300sf hardly has any contrast left in it anymore, but it's a big screen and despite the lack of contrast the image isn't bad. I use that one for my browsing and the new LCD panel for graphics and suchlike.
Better burden you cannot carry than man-wisdom much ~ Hávamál

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Multiple Monitors
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 21 June 2010, 15:17:48 »
Dual displays since 1989. Currently 19" and 17" laptop. Better'n any 30".
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
Re: Multiple Monitors
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 21 June 2010, 15:33:33 »
Been using at least 2 monitors since 2004. Though it grew to 3 and 4 when I had some extra kicking around.
Actually, I had around 17 monitors around 2005. But didn't have enough video cards to do anything more than a 4 (was also dirt poor at the time).
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Multiple Monitors
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 21 June 2010, 19:17:21 »
Ha, yeah. I once Connected 5 displays to one machine (because I could), but I rapidly determined that more than 3 displays was disorienting, and this was regardless of the size.

Offline Mercen_505

Multiple Monitors
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 07:26:10 »
I've been working with a single 19" LCD since I gave up my precious CRT ~3 years ago. I was supposed to have my second 19" LCD yesterday, but some doof shipped it UPS signature required, and of course the guy shows up around noon... when I'm at work. I have a signature on file with UPS, but apparently this one was flagged with a higher level sig requirement, as in I have to sign for it personally.

Retards.

Offline itlnstln

Multiple Monitors
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 07:37:37 »
I had 3 displays at one time, and while it was useful, the law of diminishing returns kicks in after 2 for me.  A second monitor is very useful, but 3 isn't as much.  Even when I had 3, I left a Remote Desktop session up on the third, but was otherwise unused.  I am doing fine these days with just 2.

Offline TexasFlood

Multiple Monitors
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 09:17:30 »
Quote from: itlnstln;195445
I had 3 displays at one time, and while it was useful, the law of diminishing returns kicks in after 2 for me.  A second monitor is very useful, but 3 isn't as much.  Even when I had 3, I left a Remote Desktop session up on the third, but was otherwise unused.  I am doing fine these days with just 2.

Most I've ever actively used is 2.  I really liked my old dual head SGI Indigo 2 back in the day.  Can't imagine what I'd do with a 3rd monitor unless park a rarely used but important window there so it would be easily available.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Multiple Monitors
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 23 June 2010, 13:29:29 »
Display 1 = Email & Chat
Display 2 = Main work page (example, HTML editor)
Display 3 = source of work (example, engineering notes)
Display 4 = result of work (example, web page)

I find the physical bezel helps me keep the work areas separated in my mind. I used to do this with a virtual desktop. Once I had 4 real displays and it worked that way too.

When I'm not working, one display is sufficient.

Offline itlnstln

Multiple Monitors
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 23 June 2010, 14:51:36 »
Quote from: ricercar;195769
I find the physical bezel helps me keep the work areas separated in my mind...
When I'm not working, one display is sufficient.

This.

Offline Mercen_505

Multiple Monitors
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 24 June 2010, 11:55:45 »
Whee... I'm working with two monitors now. I use the left one for coding, and the right one keeps a browser or PDF viewer open for reference material. When I'm running a program, the left monitor houses the output window, and the right holds my debugging stuff and logfiles.

I haven't tried it out for gaming yet, and suspect I won't bother with it at all. Having two monitors means I'll have a gap to visually navigate :(

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Multiple Monitors
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 20:48:54 »
As an afterthought:
I have a 24" iMac and an extra 27.5" monitor. I was thinking about getting the new 27" iMac and an extra 24" monitor, but then when I use only one screen, I'd be stuck with the 27", and that is one hell of a big screen to run full time and it can be overpowering at times.

Food for thought.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~