Author Topic: Manga/Anime?  (Read 6528 times)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Manga/Anime?
« on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 03:00:04 »
Not sure if this should be posted in Off Topic or here. But I figured it was(to me at least) more of the 'geeky stuff' category.
So being new around here, figured I'd try to find some common ground with folks! Hopefully this topic hasn't been vastly covered and I'm just opening up an old subject....
So I was just wondering anyone else here read manga or watch anime?
For me I used to love anime, but then started reading manga and find it hard to go back to watching it.
It's the same as reading a book like LotR then watching the movie. The written part will always be better. Maybe its the way the author can dictate his thoughts, or maybe its our own minds just putting everything together like a puzzle. Either way, just figured maybe we could get some dialogue going about these subjects!

And I guess I should say something about at least one thing I enjoy....well out of the dozens of things I read currently...Berserk has still got to be #1 on my list.

Offline Roguemaster8

Manga/Anime?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 03:23:42 »
Never been a fan of manga, but I do enjoy some anime from time to time.

Currently watching Hellsing dubbed.
CM Storm Quickfire | Dell Quietkey | Unicomp Ultra Classic | KBC Poker

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Manga/Anime?
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 03:36:17 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 13:11:44 by davkol »

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Manga/Anime?
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 03:50:04 »
I used to be clever with memes, but then I took an arrow to the knee....hah
Can't say I enjoy many dubbed series, been disappointed too many times. But I know Hellsing as a series is great.
Ghost in the Shell, ah yes, I have to say it's one thing I love. Own most of the dvds for that show. Elfen Lied was another amazing show I saw, then I read the manga for it and I think I fell in love with it even more.

Offline tradet

Manga/Anime?
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 03:56:10 »
Hmm I'm the same really. I started watching anime and it's okay but the manga is always a lot better.

I read a lot of manga, too much I guess. Here's a few from my current read list:

Bakuman
Beelzebub
Fairy Tail
Gamaran
Gamble Fish
Historys Strongest Disciple
Naruto
Noblesse
One Piece
The Breaker New Waves

Death Note might be the only one where I prefer the anime to the manga... But I do love the manga as well.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Manga/Anime?
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 04:01:07 »
Only ones I haven't tried to get into are Gamaran, History's Strongest Disciple and Noblesse. But one day, surely will.
As for Death note, it was actually the first manga I ever got into. I went and bought every volume from Chapters and loved it. So I have never actually gave the anime a chance, even though many have said it is amazing. One day I'm sure I'll give it a watch. I have friends who can't be bothered to read who love anime marathons, hah.

I gotta add on,  think the most excitement I get every week from those that you listed, would have to be New Waves. Loved the first series, and can't wait to see how this next season plays out!

Offline Roguemaster8

Manga/Anime?
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 04:10:32 »
Anyone else watch Gurren Lagann and felt like life was gonna be awesome if they just kept going forward?
CM Storm Quickfire | Dell Quietkey | Unicomp Ultra Classic | KBC Poker

Offline fim

Manga/Anime?
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 05:45:29 »
I watched Gurren Lagann a few months back and I think that because of all the "hype" I had rather great expectations for this. Unfortunately it was just ok.

Actually, it's been quite a while since the last time I was completely blown away by something I watched...

Offline slueth

Manga/Anime?
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 06:05:11 »
Spice and wolf and deadman amusement park are good

Offline Pyretti

Manga/Anime?
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 08:50:50 »
Been watching huge amounts of anime after seeing Gurren Lagann. It was just that epic.

Clannad, Ghost in the Shell and Elfen Lied(the manga is even better) are probably my favourite animes at the moment.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Manga/Anime?
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 13:55:56 »
I saw a ton of hype for Gurren Lagann, but could never get too far into it. One day I plan on it though.
Spice and wolf is a great read, hope they release some more.
And deadman wonderland, that story completely absorbed me when I started it, so full of gore and sweetness.
Another amazing anime that is just as good as the manga would be Full Metal Alchmist: Brotherhood. Unlike the first series of FMA, it actually follows the manga and is quite amazing. Even the English voice actors to a good job in it.

Offline evolveS

• ಠ_ಠ
Manga/Anime?
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 23:30:01 »
Not a manga person, but I watch anime sometimes.
Durarara!! is my favorite. Bakemonogatari and Shigurui were also good.
"money comes and goes, but doubleshots are forever"
-a petty thief

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Manga/Anime?
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 00:15:46 »
Gotta say, I'm in love with the animation of Bakemonogatari. The sequel Nisemonogatari is is great as well. A little bit too much fan service for my liking, but again, love the animation.
Another awesome anime that was crazy weird, FLCL. Only 6 episodes if I recall, but such a sick show. Also a lot of music in it by 'The Pillows', not a bad Japanese pop/punkish kind of band.

Offline evolveS

• ಠ_ಠ
Manga/Anime?
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 00:34:29 »
Quote from: Halverson;535428
Gotta say, I'm in love with the animation of Bakemonogatari. The sequel Nisemonogatari is is great as well. A little bit too much fan service for my liking, but again, love the animation.
Another awesome anime that was crazy weird, FLCL. Only 6 episodes if I recall, but such a sick show. Also a lot of music in it by 'The Pillows', not a bad Japanese pop/punkish kind of band.

I agree about the animation style even though it's hard to keep up with sometimes. I didn't know about a sequel.
FLCL was the first modern anime recommended to me and another favorite. All the music was by The Pillows (the discography is really good).
"money comes and goes, but doubleshots are forever"
-a petty thief

Offline Parak

Manga/Anime?
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 00:44:15 »
Mushishi.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Manga/Anime?
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 02:58:05 »
Not much of a reader either, but do enjoy watching. Quite a fan of Death Note, S.E. Lain, texhnolyze, GITS, Gungrave, ergo proxy, Appleseed, Vexile, etc, etc. I guess I mostly go in for the more cyberpunk type stuff.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Manga/Anime?
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 03:13:30 »
Yeah. My piwer level is probably one of the bigest on here.

Ive watched a lot of anime and have followed the current seasons. I like mabga too but it depends on the genre or if the anime is doiing  tons of fillers or going off the storyline too much.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Manga/Anime?
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 00:34:09 »
Filler, the ultimate enemy. Kills a lot in a series when you need weeks of filler just to let the manga catch up.
Saw a clip for the new Berserk movie coming out, I think the first 10 minutes of the film or so. I have to say, I didn't care for the animation style. Seemed way too cg instead of regular ol' animation. Although whenever it comes out I'm sure I'll give it a watch.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Manga/Anime?
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 00:39:08 »
Anyone here given much looks into webtoons or manhwa? Gotta say they have been slowly creeping up on me. Especially Tower of God, such a brilliant webtoon. As for manwha, The Breaker had me addicted, and The Breaker:New waves is just as good.

Offline JohnDiew0107

• Pew Pew Pew
    • http://www.johndiew.com/
Manga/Anime?
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 09 March 2012, 11:39:04 »
Rarely have the time to read manga, but I watch a lot of anime though. Everything started 10 years ago...
Leopold FC500RR/EB Reds | PLUM Morphling MX96 Blues | VorTex POKER PBT Ghetto-Greens | Ducky DK-9008G2 PBT Reds

Offline Hente

• huehuehue
Manga/Anime?
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 09 March 2012, 21:38:04 »
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Hente&status=7&order=4 - Anime list. :V

I usually watch most of the current season stuff, well maybe aside from harem stuff.
Don't read much manga, only one I bother keeping up with is Its Not My Fault I'm Not Popular.

A couple of my favorites are Clannad: After Story, Spice and Wolf, Kino's Journey and Haibane Renmei.

Offline Lu_e

Manga/Anime?
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 09 March 2012, 22:01:41 »
haha

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Manga/Anime?
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 21:09:26 »
Hente, that is one helluva impressive anime list!!! I thought about doing something like that before, but I don't think mine would be so impressive. I think by far my manga list would be bigger, but there are so many series that I've read and forgotten it would be too much of a hassle. Well, unless I go back and re-read everything.
Never did get around to reading/watching Initial D, although I've heard a lot of good things about it.
Currently about to start reading 'The Walking Dead' comics. Everyone seems to rave over the show, so I figured I may as well go ahead and read it. Anyone hear watch the show or read the comics?

Offline nar

Manga/Anime?
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 08:47:21 »
I'm pretty sure there are a decent number of people here have anime avatars so you can spot people out here and there with that.

For me though I'm pretty much into everything you'd expect an akiba otaku to be into.
Anime, Manga, Visual Novels, Light Novels, Anime TCGs, Figures, Gunpla, Doujinshi and all the rest.

A random selection of my favourites: D.C.II, Tsukihime, The Five Star Stories, Gundam X, Anything written by Kawahara Reki, Yandere Kanojo, Haibane Renmei
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Manga/Anime?
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 15:22:30 »
Quote from: ripster;543570
Wow, Geekhack really is 99% Asian just like O2dazone said.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 43772[/ATTACH]

Surely you understand the same technology that affords you Topres and Filcos in the US can also hold many DVDs ???????????? :noidea:
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Manga/Anime?
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 21 March 2012, 01:38:34 »
Quote from: ripster;543570
Wow, Geekhack really is 99% Asian just like O2dazone said.

I'm the 1% O_O, damn....now I feel out of place....

Offline Ekaros

Manga/Anime?
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 22 March 2012, 10:14:20 »
I have watched some, I probably shouldn't comment on details too much ;D

Spice and Wolf
Initial D
Hellsing
Bartender
Black Lagoon
Full Metal Panic
Ghost In Shell
Planetes
Akagi

On the more acceptable front ;D Not that I'm much in HC stuff...
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline kriminal

Manga/Anime?
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 22 March 2012, 11:04:48 »
current reads:
Gamaran
Tower of God <= epic
witch hunter <= next manhwa
Gamaran
Naruto
Bleach
Deadman wonderland
D.Grayman
Gantz
Aiki
Freezing
HSD - Keniechi
Watch:
so far just Fairytail at the moment
too many to name the others i watched in the past
e.g. basilisk, samurai x
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Manga/Anime?
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 26 March 2012, 17:38:42 »
Tower of God, I would classify as Godly
Witch hunter from what I recall was awesome, just recently started catching up with it so I'm a bit lost but still great.

The borrower Arriety was a great movie. Watched that with a bottle of sake, very enjoyable evening. Can't recall on the music though. But I can say, boo yaw to Ponyo! Maybe not the english song version though....

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Manga/Anime?
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 26 March 2012, 17:46:22 »
Recently re-watched NGE + death^2 + revival of evangelion.

The ending is still just ****ing obnoxious. At least the subs I had for the movies were more than word-for-word translations...
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Manga/Anime?
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 18:10:51 »
Looney Tunes made some good "anime" during WWII...
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
Manga/Anime?
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 21:41:22 »
My first series was-- tragically-- the original English One Piece dub.

I got hopelessly committed and read through 400 manga chapters in a week (not being employed at the time helped :) )

Other series which stuck to me:

Eyeshield 21 (Somehow, manga makes American football better than it actually is IRL)
Great Teacher Onizuka (over the top all to often, and the official version has truly awful typesetting)

I found the Korean manhwa they stealthily tried to pass as manga during the height of the craze are often surprisingly good.  From there, my favourites are Rebirth and Priest, neither of which gets a satisfying conclusion if you follow the English translation (the translator of one went bust after 23 volumes, the author abandoned the other after 16)

In terms of animation, Soul Eater is an excellent 50-episode series sadly ruined by being a 52-episode series with a lame feel-good ending.  Black Butler (Kuro****suji) also has similar problems with weak end-of-series delivery (too much ex machina stuff, missing payout) but really entertaining characters.

Gurren Lagann is good in small doses for the 'makes you have some faith in mankind'.

I've been working through Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and it definitely has the trillion-yen production values, but I'm not sure how it will let me down.

Also, if you like sophisticated animation, America did do a couple decent series-- Gargoyles for one.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
Manga/Anime?
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 19:08:40 »
Quote from: sth;557577
Recently re-watched NGE + death^2 + revival of evangelion.

The ending is still just ****ing obnoxious. At least the subs I had for the movies were more than word-for-word translations...
If you were upset with the ending you should probably watch End of Evangelion. Its what actually happens at the end. Not sure if you have from what you stated there. If so I will just disagree and say that it was one of the most incredible anime of all time- but only with EoE replacing the last 2 episodes as it is meant to be.

For anyone curious, the rebuild movies that are out right now as hands down the most incredible anime I have ever seen, and should be watched by any fan of the series.

Kara no Kyoukai is good as well.

Here's my MAL for credibility and more recommendations, anything 8, 9 or 10 should be watched at some point. In almost all cases, subbed is better than dubbed, and downloading is better than streaming.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Ragnorock

I used to be one of the admins of zomganime before it got bought out and gradually killed off by a Chinese company. Since then I have gradually stopped watching mostly because there hasn't been anything that has caught my eye as not terrible.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 March 2012, 20:24:16 by Ragnorock »

Offline thp777

Manga/Anime?
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 20:00:34 »
i really enjoyed last exile on netflix and i usually dont watch dubbed anime

Offline kriminal

Manga/Anime?
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 20:37:09 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;559705
Looney Tunes made some good "anime" during WWII...

MSwindows posted? wow!
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline mr.mortified

Manga/Anime?
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 23:03:25 »
Hmmm.......
Really I've only been watching the old shows again when I have any time.  There's just something about the old classics that the only a rare few of the stuff coming post 2007 have.

obligatory posting of my MAl
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/mr_mortified

I haven't updated this thing in like a year.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Manga/Anime?
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 23:08:09 »
Quote from: Ragnorock;560924
If you were upset with the ending you should probably watch End of Evangelion.

Revival is pretty much the same thing as Death + EoE with a little more polish. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelion:_Death_and_Rebirth#Revival_of_Evangelion

Offline kriminal

Manga/Anime?
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 11:05:28 »
oh and how could i forget deathnote!!
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Manga/Anime?
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 11:09:14 »
I'd make a list. But I don't know about spending half an hour putting down the 100-200 anime that I've watched....
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline Zehkul

Manga/Anime?
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 14:02:35 »
Quote from: Hente;540695
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Hente&status=7&order=4 - Anime list. :V

You dropped Casshern Sins? Huge mistake!

Quote from: Ragnorock;560924
Here's my MAL for credibility and more recommendations, anything 8, 9 or 10 should be watched at some point. In almost all cases, subbed is better than dubbed, and downloading is better than streaming.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Ragnorock

Nice list! Why haven’t you watched Shakugen no Shana III yet? ;P

Quote from: hazeluff;561593
I'd make a list. But I don't know about spending half an hour putting down the 100-200 anime that I've watched....

Dito.

Right now I’m waiting for something in the new season to catch my eye. The last one was pretty good, with Another, SNS III, Mirai Nikki, Guilty Crown, …

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
Manga/Anime?
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 14:06:58 »
Lazy/too busy.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Manga/Anime?
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 17:01:23 »
Quote from: ripster;561604
WW1 anime was better.
(Attachment Link) 46391[/ATTACH]

Nah, the WWII anime has it beat by a long shot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVYTI1tdYoA

It's kind of funny to look back and see how much Japan has changed...
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Manga/Anime?
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 19:10:04 »
Amg Evengelion. Awesome and leaving me confused all at the same time. Guess I'm going to watch to have a little marathon of re-watching the movies one day soon.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Manga/Anime?
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 19:10:28 »
Maybe it would be easier for you to make a list of animes you havent watched? hehe @ Hazel

Offline nar

Manga/Anime?
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 18:56:37 »
So I realized, why has no one posted a picture like this yet?
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
Manga/Anime?
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 19:07:49 »
Oooh, I think I will have to join in. I have a couple of figurines worth showing off.

Offline zeDoktor

• http://www.hexomega.com
Manga/Anime?
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 16:52:13 »
Used to watch quite a bit of anime but life has gotten... busier, I guess.

Big fan of:
Ergo Proxy
Big O
Cowboy Bebop
Elfen Lied
Trigun
NGE
Bleach (till ep 82ish)

Started watching Gurren Lagann on Netflix the other day and it seemed entertaining enough but it didn't captivate me. I liked the Eden of the East series but hated the first movie.
SteelSeries 6Gv2 / Razer DeathAdder Black  / CM Storm QuickFire Rapid / Logitech G5 BF2142 / Microsoft Sidewinder X4 / Rosewill RK-9000 White / Anker 8200

Offline JustCallMeCrash

• ErgoDox Lover
Manga/Anime?
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 01 May 2012, 14:37:46 »
I dropped the ball ages ago and recently picked it back up.  Some of the old favorites were Berzerk, Cowboy Bebop, NGE, Ghost in the Shell (the first movie only).
Recently started Gurren Laggan (however that's spelled, too lazy to look) and High School of the Dead (meh).  
I've gotten my 5-yo daughter into all the Studio Ghibli stuff... she loves Howl's Moving Castle, but Totoro is her favorite.  We still have a few to get through, but she eats them up and they're SOOOOO much better than that godawful princess tripe Disney ****s out.  (Yes, I'm well aware that Disney is responsible for the (imo wonderful) dubs)
ErgoDoxen 6 total: Cherry MX Browns, Cherry MX Clears, NovelKeys Box Royal, 80g Gateron Yellows, NovelKeys Pale Blues, NovelKeys Box Navy.
Preonic 2 total: OG Gateron Yellows (GMK silencer clips), TBD (unassembled v2).
XD-75 (mixed Gateron Yellows, MX Blacks, MX Clears on layer toggles).
Das S Professional (was MX Blues, now Ghetto Reds).
G80-11900.
ML-4400 (2x) Cherry MY boards.