Author Topic: Vintage Computing & You  (Read 2691 times)

Offline morpheus

Vintage Computing & You
« on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 01:47:17 »
Man, this brings back so much memories. I used this in elementary school.

Apple Macintosh
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Macintosh-Platinum-Plus-Computer-with-Keyboard-Mouse-and-Disks-/321330240185?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item4ad0c65ab9

What memories do you have?

Offline PointyFox

Re: Vintage Computing & You
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 02:40:39 »

Apple Macintosh
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Macintosh-Platinum-Plus-Computer-with-Keyboard-Mouse-and-Disks-/321330240185?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item4ad0c65ab9

I used that a couple of years ago.  I still have it somewhere.  Unfortunately I accidentally overwrote one of my boot/game discs for it.

We used to play DOS and/or Mac games off floppies in elementary school.  I remember one where you were on an alien planet or something and had a certain amount of pills you could mix together to make objects to help you progress, similar to A Boy and His Blob.  I also remember one similar to Breakout, but the paddle was in the center and the bricks were in a circle around it.  I also remember one that was an adventure game similar to Maniac Mansion, with some dark coal cellar you needed to find the light switch in by randomly clicking.  I also remember a game where there was a car that would drive around a town map completing objectives and refueling and stuff that was a typing game.  Also I think I remember a game where you are a bee and had to collect pollen from flowers with a time limit, certain colors being worth more than others, but I'm not sure if I just dreamed that one.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 03:00:40 »
Going to a private school as a young boy we didn't have immediate access to the newest machines (unlike state school kids) so alot of my memories of computing as a youth are of using BBC machines... Alien vs Predator was a great game!

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 04:12:57 »
My school had a commodore pets for teaching programming. It would have been cool if I wasn't talking about 1990.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline CJNE

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 05:14:38 »

This was the step up from electronic typewriters  :cool:
I didn't appreciate those caps back then nearly as much as i do now...
HHKBP2 black and blank - HHKBP2-S white - Filco TKL Majestouch, MX brown - ErgoDox classic MX blue - ErgoDox Czarek case, MX clear and brown

Offline morpheus

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 05:37:56 »

Apple Macintosh

I used that a couple of years ago.  I still have it somewhere.  Unfortunately I accidentally overwrote one of my boot/game discs for it.

We used to play DOS and/or Mac games off floppies in elementary school.  I remember one where you were on an alien planet or something and had a certain amount of pills you could mix together to make objects to help you progress, similar to A Boy and His Blob.  I also remember one similar to Breakout, but the paddle was in the center and the bricks were in a circle around it.  I also remember one that was an adventure game similar to Maniac Mansion, with some dark coal cellar you needed to find the light switch in by randomly clicking.  I also remember a game where there was a car that would drive around a town map completing objectives and refueling and stuff that was a typing game.  Also I think I remember a game where you are a bee and had to collect pollen from flowers with a time limit, certain colors being worth more than others, but I'm not sure if I just dreamed that one.

My favorite game on this was Sid Meier's Pirates. The Mac Version just had that black and white charm that gave wings to my imagination. I don't think I liked any other adventure game more than this for a long time.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 09:00:00 »

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 09:08:49 »
Microsoft Windows belongs in this thread...

He has more vintage computing devices in his basement than most people see at their local electronics recycling facility...

That Apple in the OP, looks like the older version of my Mac Classic. Did that come with OS 6?
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 February 2014, 09:10:41 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline morpheus

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 09:52:27 »
Show Image

They make this t-shirt. I saw it online somewhere. Classic.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 09:54:58 »
Yeah, that is likely from the shirt really. It's still probably the first thing I will always think of for retro computing. I spent so much time playing Oregon Trail as a child, practically was obsessed with it. Castlevania being one of the other big games... though most people would think of NES instead, I only had a PC. Kings Quest and Might and Magic were some other big favorites.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 February 2014, 09:57:34 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 09:58:13 »
i owned a 486 DX2 that came with windows 3.0
Used to play like Math Blasters and Mario Teaches Typing on it lol.

in the public libraries, they used to have Tandy 2000 machines with The Oregon Trail, Math Blasters or Where in the world is carmen sandiego.

Offline thesentinel

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 10:45:20 »
What kinda switches do those old apple boards use?
Keyboards are the only thing keeping me from consuming human flesh.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 10:51:51 »
What kinda switches do those old apple boards use?

Salmon colored ALPS. Some had orange ALPS too I believe...
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline morpheus

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 11:42:21 »

He has more vintage computing devices in his basement than most people see at their local electronics recycling facility...

I thought that guy was a troll and all his pictures were just cut and pasted off the internet. But I guess you know him (her?) better than I do.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 07:00:58 »
Playing Bubble Bobble and Arkanoid on a ZX Spectrum.
Conan, Castle Wolfenstein, writing my first lines of code on an Apple IIc.
Playing Wolfenstein 3D and programming in Borland Turbo Pascal on a 286. Getting frustrated that Doom needed a 386.
Playing Unreal and writing my first OpenGL program on a Pentium MMX with an nVidia TNT graphics card (the first hardware I bought for myself with money I earned from a regular job). It had a nice Phillips 17" CRT which I used for many years.

How old does it have to be to be considered "vintage"?
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 08:15:38 »

I thought that guy was a troll and all his pictures were just cut and pasted off the internet. But I guess you know him (her?) better than I do.

Well, he is, and they are, but it's just because he's a bit... different. Incoming short story:

MW is a good friend of mine. I've known him since I was in 1st grade, and all throughout our school careers we were very good friends. He's actually the one who brought me to GH some 4.65 years ago after he found a Model M5-2 in the trash at school. And since he worked in the schools IT department, he was also able to get all sorts of old computers out of the trash, which is where both him and I got all of our computers for our "labs".  This is what got me interested in both vintage computing and mechanical keyboards.

Then there was this one time, one of my other friends said to me "I can never speak to [Microsoft Windows real name] ever again, because I need our last conversation to be the last thing he ever said to me."  So obviously I had to ask, "Why, what did he say to you?"  My friend: "No joke, he straight came out and said to me 'Sometimes, I feel like I just don't belong in this time.'"

To people who know him, hearing him say that is rather amusing, because we all used to think the same thing... he belongs in the 20th century.

TL;DR: MW is pretty much the person responsible for my presence at GH, and is also responsible for my namesake (CLiB) and my interest in vintage computers and keyboards.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 15:30:36 »

Well, he is, and they are, but it's just because he's a bit... different. Incoming short story:

MW is a good friend of mine. I've known him since I was in 1st grade, and all throughout our school careers we were very good friends. He's actually the one who brought me to GH some 4.65 years ago after he found a Model M5-2 in the trash at school. And since he worked in the schools IT department, he was also able to get all sorts of old computers out of the trash, which is where both him and I got all of our computers for our "labs".  This is what got me interested in both vintage computing and mechanical keyboards.

Then there was this one time, one of my other friends said to me "I can never speak to [Microsoft Windows real name] ever again, because I need our last conversation to be the last thing he ever said to me."  So obviously I had to ask, "Why, what did he say to you?"  My friend: "No joke, he straight came out and said to me 'Sometimes, I feel like I just don't belong in this time.'"

To people who know him, hearing him say that is rather amusing, because we all used to think the same thing... he belongs in the 20th century.

TL;DR: MW is pretty much the person responsible for my presence at GH, and is also responsible for my namesake (CLiB) and my interest in vintage computers and keyboards.

Not trying to turn this into a "Where in the world is MW" thread, but where is he?  Hasn't signed in for 3 months now.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 17:14:23 »
I hope he's okay.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 17:22:49 »
Not trying to turn this into a "Where in the world is MW" thread, but where is he?  Hasn't signed in for 3 months now.

He got bored of trolling around here, so he just kinda stopped posting. I haven't spoken to him in a while, maybe I'll give him a call...
tp thread is tp thread

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 19:40:23 »

He got bored of trolling around here, so he just kinda stopped posting. I haven't spoken to him in a while, maybe I'll give him a call...

Maybe we could entice him back with a poll ... ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 19:00:09 »

So many... I remember the first programs I wrote on an Atari 2600 for which I had received a BASIC cartdridge which came with a specific joystick which was actually a keyboard (an ultra crappy one btw). I cleary remember drawing lines of various colors. Back in the days that was a total "mind blown" thinggy: seeing stuff I just "made" appearing on the house's TV... I don't remember how old I was exactly: probably 9 or 10 years old or so.

I remember arcade rooms and going there to play Gyruss and so many other great games. I also remember the old Tron movie.

At one point I got an Atari XL and then lobbied my mom for months until I got a Commodore 64 (128 actually, but I was using it in 64 mode nearly exclusively).

Memories on the C64 are games, lots of games: the Ultima series, Commando, Bruce Lee, Karateka, Way of the exploding fist, Paperboy, BMX simulator (?), School Daze, ...

Then bye bye to the 8-bit era: neighbours had an Atari ST (IK+ and "Sundog: Frozen Legacy" comes to mind) and I got an Amiga (so many great games I couldn't pick only a few).

What an era. Everytime a thread like this comes on a forum it brings me nostalgia. Once in a while I do still fire up YouTube on my 2nd computer just to hear some old chiptunes / launch some intros/cracktros/demos compilation  ;)

Still have most of my old machines besides the Atari 2600. Bought a Texas Instrument Ti/99-4a recently.
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)