Author Topic: Very useful programs for XP-Pro  (Read 4345 times)

Offline roaduck

Very useful programs for XP-Pro
« on: Sun, 27 September 2009, 02:07:07 »
I could not do without these little free, powerfull ad-free programs

SCREEN-IT
v1.2
Use this program to simplify your experience of using Windows, by confining groups of running programs to different "screens" (or virtual desktops), and hiding all running applications other than those on the current screen. As computers become more powerful, it becomes possible to run a great many programs at the same time. This can make the desktop and its task bar crowded and unmanageable. To combat this overload, Screen-It creates 2 virtual desktops (screen pages) on your single physical one. Only one screen page is visible at a time. This program can also launch a number of programs automatically when it starts-up, in a fresh screen or virtual desktop, saving you from having to manually launch a group of programs each time you need to do a certain job. 32 bit Freeware program.

Screen-It (2000/NT/XP)

http://www.theabsolute.net/sware/#screenit

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows in a Box

Ever get tired of searching for a setting inside the control panel?Inside Windows Xp are hundreds of settings that require endless clicking through the Operating System that can get really frustrating.Windows in a box was designed to eliminate all that.Sits on your desktop,easy to navigate,and puts an end to all the frustration of endless searching for settings.Spyware,Adware,and Malware free.

http://www.big-daddy-design.com/windowsinabox.htm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Enabler

Windows Enabler allows the user to enable disabled windows and controls such as buttons and tick boxes and choose menu options that would normally be disabled. This is obviously a very dangerous practice if used recklessly but having said that, you’d be surprised at how often it comes in handy.

Windows Enabler has a very simple user interface; it appears as an icon in the system tray and can be turned on and off simply by clicking on it.

http://www.freewarefiles.com/Windows-Enabler_program_980.html

Windows Unblocker

Unlocks handles of in-use software to delete, move , rename etc

It has many other flavors:

Cannot delete file: Access is denied
There has been a sharing violation.
The source or destination file may be in use.
The file is in use by another program or user.
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

NI Anti Shareware 3.1 Publisher's description

The program for testing protection of shareware applications. The program makes transfer of system time before shareware-program start for date of installation or date of last start of this program and then (In some seconds after start or at an exit from the paid program) returns current time. If the paid program manages to be "deceived" thus, the developer should think of creation of more competent protection of the product.

http://www.download3k.com/Software-Development/Editors-Tools/Download-NI-Anti-Shareware.html

Clear Read-Only 1.1

Clear Read-Only is powerful tool for clearing Read-Only file attribute.

You can easily change all files & folders Read-Only file/folder attribute just clicking Start buton. There are several options like Include subfolders, Apply to files, Apply to folders for customizing operation types.

Features :
Folder select option.
Include subfolder option.
Apply to Files (and-or) Apply to folders option.
Stop changing read-only attribute while running.
Explorer context menu

http://www.crispybytes.com/clearreadonly/

I'll fish out some more usefull proggies later - I prefer stuff written in assembly language because it`s small and powerfull - I wish I could program in it

I hope the above utilities are usefull
BS : IBM 1391406
Other keyboards - don\'t ask

Offline ironcoder

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 September 2009, 03:56:40 »
The best Windows is no Windows!
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 September 2009, 10:42:00 »
interesting list roaduck.

I like how the shareware bypasser claims to be 'for developers', lol.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 27 September 2009, 10:42:46 »
Quote from: ironcoder;120927
The best Windows is no Windows!

*groan*

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline CX23882

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 27 September 2009, 11:11:23 »
Quote from: wellington1869;120959
*groan*
Welly, you evil Micro$haft shill.

It's funny, there was a TV program on Channel 4, Dawn Porter: Free Lover where someone went to one of those free love communes, and now all I think of when I read Richard Stallman banging on about "freedom", are a bunch of Germans engaging in a group orgy. Freedom baby, it's the future.

Personally, I'm tired of the childish bull**** from the pro-Linux camp. Perhaps if they spent less time *****ing about Microsoft and more time fixing things that people care about (non-tearing video comes to mind) then it will have a chance on the desktop, rather than being confined to servers (and let's face it, the benefits listed by these people are always things that apply to Linux servers, not desktops). But I suppose it's all ATI and nVidia's fault that video playback on Linux is still absolute ****. Funny thing, nVidia's ["evil & proprietary"] closed source drivers work better than any of the open source **** that has been cobbled together, but they're not good enough because it's all about freedom isn't it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 September 2009, 11:16:03 by CX23882 »

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 27 September 2009, 13:57:08 »
Quote from: CX23882;120974
Welly, you evil Micro$haft shill.

It's funny, there was a TV program on Channel 4, Dawn Porter: Free Lover where someone went to one of those free love communes, and now all I think of when I read Richard Stallman banging on about "freedom", are a bunch of Germans engaging in a group orgy. Freedom baby, it's the future.

Personally, I'm tired of the childish bull**** from the pro-Linux camp. Perhaps if they spent less time *****ing about Microsoft and more time fixing things that people care about (non-tearing video comes to mind) then it will have a chance on the desktop, rather than being confined to servers (and let's face it, the benefits listed by these people are always things that apply to Linux servers, not desktops). But I suppose it's all ATI and nVidia's fault that video playback on Linux is still absolute ****. Funny thing, nVidia's ["evil & proprietary"] closed source drivers work better than any of the open source **** that has been cobbled together, but they're not good enough because it's all about freedom isn't it.

Very few open source supporters have such a short-sighted view. I'd much rather be running linux or OS X for everything, but I can't play a single (major name) computer game without having to use DirectX. The fact is that both sides fight each other so much, its amazing anything gets done.

When ATi released their newest video card series earlier this month, there was no mention of the support for OpenGL 3.1...just mention of the support for DirectX 11.

As far as the open source drivers go...you can work with a black box, and get things working, but its extremely slow, and extremely frustrating. Not to mention the black box changes every generation of video cards.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 27 September 2009, 14:35:32 »
Personally, I'm tired of the childish bull**** from the pro-Linux camp. Perhaps if they spent less time *****ing about Microsoft and more time fixing things that people care about (non-tearing video comes to mind) then it will have a chance on the desktop,

Compare this with Microsoft fans who just sit around and can't do anything about the numerous show stoppers that tend to show up in Windows versions. As a consequence, they let the computer dictate what they can do, as opposed to making the computer do what they want, because MS generally doesn't give you any meaningful way of playing around with Windows.

And as for your complaints, I think you must have been referring to an older version, or perhaps you are suffering from driver problems, but hey - Windows has more of them than we do so I don't really know what your problem is.

Offline CX23882

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 27 September 2009, 14:51:29 »
Quote from: ch_123;121009
And as for your complaints, I think you must have been referring to an older version, or perhaps you are suffering from driver problems, but hey - Windows has more of them than we do so I don't really know what your problem is.
Your response doesn't surprise me. "you must have been using an older version" usually comes near the top of the the list of excuses for desktop Linux's failures.

Meanwhile, I've been enjoying tear-free video on Windows for years. I don't have to muck around with the OS to get it working because it just works. The latest Ubuntu still can't display video without tearing. Then you mention the other excuse "it must be driver problems". I've not even mentioned the mess that is the audio on Linux. But hey, it'll probably work with an Ad-Lib or SB Pro out of the box, so that's a benefit.

Never mind, perhaps next year will be "the year of Linux". Until then I'm sure the supporters will keep pointing out the flaws of Windows 3.1 or Windows 95 as if they apply to Windows Vista and 7. You could always use the "yeah but Vista/7 is full of DRM" bull**** if you want to appear current (and appear totally ignorant).
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 September 2009, 14:57:40 by CX23882 »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 27 September 2009, 15:40:03 »
Quote from: CX23882;121011
Your response doesn't surprise me. "you must have been using an older version" usually comes near the top of the the list of excuses for desktop Linux's failures.

Meanwhile, I've been enjoying tear-free video on Windows for years. I don't have to muck around with the OS to get it working because it just works. The latest Ubuntu still can't display video without tearing. Then you mention the other excuse "it must be driver problems".

I don't know whether you are insinuating whether a) old software/drivers is our excuse for everything or b) it's an inherent prevalent problem with Linux. In either case -

a) Absolutely no different from Windows users.
b) Neither myself, nor anyone I know who uses Linux on various computers have these issues you describe. So it's not an inherent problem with all Linux OSes. I generally see flawless out of box support with any PC I've ran Ubuntu on, so please forgive me if I'm a bit cynical and jump to conclusions about there being some sort of configuration or software problem on your end...

I've not even mentioned the mess that is the audio on Linux. But hey, it'll probably work with an Ad-Lib or SB Pro out of the box, so that's a benefit.

What Sound card do you use? Again, I've seen out of box support for any integrated audio chipset, and Soundblaster Audigys. I will admit that I had a bit of hassle getting my Asus Xonar running with Linux, but it's not like 99% of computers have one of them anyway.

Never mind, perhaps next year will be "the year of Linux". Until then I'm sure the supporters will keep pointing out the flaws of Windows 3.1 or Windows 95 as if they apply to Windows Vista and 7. You could always use the "yeah but Vista/7 is full of DRM" bull**** if you want to appear current (and appear totally ignorant).

Well, at least I don't to resort to putting my words in your mouth to back up my case ^o)
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 September 2009, 16:03:07 by ch_123 »

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 28 September 2009, 07:51:53 »
All OSs suck.  Use a typewriter or deal with it.

Next...

Offline CX23882

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 28 September 2009, 11:37:26 »
ch_123, I hope you don't take this banter personally. I have nothing against you.

just your choice of OS ;)
Seriously, I want to like Linux (as a desktop OS), but every time I try to use it as my "daily driver" OS, there are issues that can't be resolved.

XBMC is great, perhaps better than Windows Media Center, but without video acceleration it's useless with a slower CPU for HD content. MythTV is good, but doesn't come close to DVBViewer. Video playback is possible, but under certain conditions, it tears. The EVR renderer on Vista/7 never tears when Aero (i.e. 3D desktop) is enabled. On Linux, having a 3D desktop pretty much guarantees it will tear. (I don't care about 3D effects per se, but running everything accelerated in 3D is actually a lot more snappy than without.)

There are plenty of audio players for Linux, but each have their own dependencies on audio subsystems. My Linux server runs great, and since replacing an unstable Promise IDE controller (which did work fine in Windows XP on the same machine before it was put to use as a server) it's been rock-solid. But as a desktop operating system, it still doesn't meet my needs.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 28 September 2009, 11:52:17 »
I really want to get an Ion system with XBMC.

Offline ironcoder

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 29 September 2009, 01:18:41 »
Welly, you evil Micro$haft shill.Personally, I'm tired of the childish bull**** from the pro-Linux camp. Perhaps if they spent less time *****ing about Microsoft and more time fixing things that people care about (non-tearing video comes to mind) then it will have a chance on the desktop, rather than being confined to servers (and let's face it, the benefits listed by these people are always things that apply to Linux servers, not desktops). But I suppose it's all ATI and nVidia's fault that video playback on Linux is still absolute ****. Funny thing, nVidia's ["evil & proprietary"] closed source drivers work better than any of the open source **** that has been cobbled together, but they're not good enough because it's all about freedom isn't it.

A few points here...I like Linux for several reasons but I am 100% opposed to the FSF and the lies they perpetuate. Linux can stand on its own merits without any reference to so-called "free software". I like it because it's stable, translucent, and doesn't get in my way. I'm a developer but I don't develop on x86. Still I like the ability to find and compile my own packages. I've been using Linux for years now as my desktop and for light server usage (serving static web pages and news) and there is very little I don't like about it.

Windows is a GUI with some OS-like features. It was designed from the start as an apliance for people who want to do stuff like word processing and net surfing. And gaming.

Linux is an OS with some GUI suport. It was designed for coders by coders. There's a big difference in direction and purpose and depending on your orientation it can make all the difference in the world.

I personally don't care if anybody uses whatever OS (I run most of the major BSD, Solaris, and Slackware). Any time I spend "*****ing about Windows" is purely recreational ;)
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline ironcoder

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 29 September 2009, 01:20:28 »
Quote from: itlnstln;121104
All OSs suck.  Use a typewriter or deal with it.Next...

LOL, best post of the thread

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 29 September 2009, 04:46:44 »
Quote from: itlnstln;121104
All OSs suck.  Use a typewriter or deal with it.

Next...

WInrar!

Yup, all OS's have flaws. Your choice in OS is dictated by which ones you can live with. Hence I multiboot,

• Slackware (Know their "system" better than anything else, stuff get's done),
  • Gentoo (****s and giggles... "I compiled my operating system"),
  • Ubuntu (When Slackware plays silly)
  • Win7 RC (Photoshop under WINE, which in itself is a feat, is still crap and slow).

Each system has it advantages, and disadvantages. I try to play to the strengths of each. Apart from Gentoo, that really is just me Geeking Out.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 October 2009, 16:38:50 by InSanCen »
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
: