Author Topic: Portable music players -- with replaceable batteries?  (Read 12227 times)

Offline ironcoder

Portable music players -- with replaceable batteries?
« on: Sun, 14 February 2010, 14:41:12 »
I'm in the market for a portable music player for a family member.

The Sansa Clip+ looks pretty good because it supports micro SDHC cards up to 16GB and even plays FLAC! The only downside I can see is it uses an internal, non-replaceable battery.

Can anybody recommend a good portable unit that uses AAA or AA rechargeables? I don't want to have to throw out the unit when the battery dies, even if it doesn't work out to be that expensive over a few years. It just rubs me the wrong way to have a battery become a critical point of failure.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 February 2010, 14:43:21 by ironcoder »
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 14 February 2010, 18:03:55 »
I've got something ridiculously inefficient, but I love it. More of a PMP than anything else...built for video but I use it for audio (since my smaller, preferred choice is out of commission as seen in a recent photo).

Creative ZEN Vision W, visible below:

Yeah, that's the former version of my present alias you see at the top.

And yes, removable battery on the W (as well as the Micros).
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline bigpook

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 February 2010, 18:07:55 »
I have two cowon mp3 players I got off of newegg. One is getting on three years old and the internal battery is still good. Cowon is nice as it plays ogg and flac. My wife has a portable that uses batteries and its kind of a pain as you have to replace them.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline mp29k

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 14 February 2010, 18:09:56 »
It looks really hard to find them now with normal batteries!  I thought iRiver might have them, but it seems like they all have the internal battery now too.
"You thought keyboards were expensive. Try putting some rubber domes in your GF." -itlnstln

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 14 February 2010, 19:46:22 »
Some of the last decent players to use AA/AAA cells were iRiver's T50 and T60 in 2007, and even those were kinda late. I'd just get a Clip+, and should its battery ever run low on capacity with no possible replacment in sight, there are these external battery compartments for charging USB devices which typically hold 4 AA cells.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline Shawn Stanford

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 15 February 2010, 09:06:55 »
Here's a review of these types of players on CNet: http://reviews.cnet.com/4321-6490_7-6582800.html

I have one at home - I can't remember the manufacturer right now, that I bought to take with me on deployment. An old RCA Lyra model. It takes a AAA and an SD card. The ad copy says it will expand up to 1gb using the SD slot, I want to say it will take 2gb SD cards. It gave me yeoman service while I was away.

That being said: someone suggested using a cheap AAA USB charger and a cheap clip-type MP3 player. I have to think that would be easeir overall.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 February 2010, 09:21:01 by Shawn Stanford »
The Brat Prince of COBOL

Offline ironcoder

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 15 February 2010, 09:45:28 »
I also have an old Lyra and it's unbelievable. The battery lasts forever and it sounds fantastic. I just never imagined they would still be manufactured. If they are, then that's probably what I'll get. Thanks for reminding me and for the link, Shawn.

Kishy, I'll have to look into the Creative players, I had forgotten about them also. I have never owned one, but I had the impression they had a pretty activity community, firmware updates, etc. at the expense of not sounding as good as other players. Any truth to that? I have to admit, the one Creative product I do have, a headset, has not impressed me at all.

As long as it's possible to replace the battery (and not too expensive) I guess I could go with Ripster's suggestion on a Clip+. They really do seem like great units.

Thanks guys. I'm going to think on this for another few days before I do anything about it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 February 2010, 09:49:56 by ironcoder »
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 15 February 2010, 10:19:06 »
Make sure you have good speakers/headphones, too. I can tell the difference on over 50% of songs, but usually if I am listening on headphones (noise floor reduction). Using the -alt presets, I can rarely tell an MP3 vs. FLAC/CD, but I really think most of that is due to the poor recording quality up front. The albums I can hear differences the most on is stuff like Diana Krall, Canadian Brass, etc.

The bottom line is, unless you listen to very-well-recorded music, you probably aren't going to tell the difference (unless you compress to 128K, or something).  If you're listening to Metallica, Slayer, Lil' John, or whatever; don't worry about it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 February 2010, 10:21:08 by itlnstln »

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 15 February 2010, 10:35:54 »
I wouldn't say 75%, either, more like 55-60%. The normal stuff I listen to, maybe 5-10% on a good day. I have one of two thoughts/opinions on this. When audiophools complain about MP3's they either:

A) Have never heard a well-encoded MP3
B) Aren't talking about well-encoded MP3s but the 128K garbage people DL from Limewire
C) Are full of bull****

I hope it's "A" or "B," but I really think it's "C." To be really honest, I consume most of my music at work off of my iPod (MP3) or Pandora on my phone (mostly for discovery). In either case, I am completely satisfied in the quality of what I am listening to (Pandora's a little weak, though).

Yes, Diana Krall is hawt.  She listens to music on Totems.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 15 February 2010, 11:15:27 »
I never understood how Lyle Lovett could pull. Either money is an aphrodisiac, or...

In any case, I still don't know how that guy could pull.  Elvis Costello doesn't look too bad in that pic, but he certainly used to look like a tool.  I think it was more of the glasses and clothes, though, not a natural ugly like Lovett.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 February 2010, 11:17:31 by itlnstln »

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 15 February 2010, 11:39:06 »
Wow, a Tripod logo! (I had thought they died long ago)

A good 320kbps MP3 (remember, there's more to this than bitrate...bitrate can be sky high but quality can still suck) cannot be distinguished from a lossless format by a normal person. If you can tell the difference, you shouldn't be listening to music...you're focusing on the wrong thing and aren't enjoying the music anyway.

itlnstln, I go with 'C'.
kishy.ca

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 15 February 2010, 11:49:31 »
Gee, what tipped you off?  Kishy's right, though.  If you spend all your time looking for quality differences in formats instead of listening to the music, ur doing it rong.*  The occasional "scientific experiment" is fun, though.

*That said, poorly encoded music, crappy equipment, etc. can be pretty distracting.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 15 February 2010, 11:57:19 »
Quote from: itlnstln;158444
Gee, what tipped you off?  Kishy's right, though.  If you spend all your time looking for quality differences in formats instead of listening to the music, ur doing it rong.*  The occasional "scientific experiment" is fun, though.

*That said, poorly encoded music, crappy equipment, etc. can be pretty distracting.

Couldn't agree more.

I particularly dislike downloading a high bitrate file and the resulting audio sounds like it could have been adequately stored in a 96kbps file...
kishy.ca

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 15 February 2010, 12:32:49 »
In the first video, Pete Rock used something like 27 samples to create the instrumental. It was proabably just encoded poorly. The Dungeon Family (who makes the instrumentals for Outakst) are awesome. You should check out the Roots - completely live band. The Philadelphia Experiment (IIRC, I'll have to check the title at home), is a great jazz album featuring some of the Roots band members and Karriem Riggins - the drummer for Diana Krall (and Kanye West and Common during concerts). Here is Karriem Riggins performing on J. Dilla's Body Movin' (the video's kinda lame):

>
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">
[/youtube]

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 14 June 2010, 13:42:55 »
Quote from: kishy;158342
...(since my smaller, preferred choice is out of commission as seen in a recent photo)...

Not anymore...my super-awesome soldering skills saved it!

Dredging up an old dead thread perhaps, but this is earth-shattering news.
kishy.ca

Offline datamonger128

• Forever alone.
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 14 June 2010, 14:40:55 »
You can get this.

Coffee is supposed to be bitter.  It symbolizes the bitterness of life.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 14 June 2010, 15:12:58 »
I used to have that generation of RCA Lyra. They're actually pretty decent.

One AAA battery (great battery life IIRC as well), SD card slot, decent sound quality, decent controls.

Mine was stolen in a high school class however. After that I had a basic 128MB Panasonic player, after which I went Zen Micro. When that died due to a terrible mistake on my part, I bought a Zen Vision:M...the iPod killer in features and sound quality (unfortunately for popularity, more literally also size and weight - dropping a ZV:M on an iPod would almost certainly damage the iPod).

The ZV:M does not have an easily replaceable battery, though. Ultimately, 4 screws and you've got access to it, but that's not exactly convenient when you're on the go.
kishy.ca

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 14 June 2010, 22:03:40 »
Congrats Kishy on fixing your Zen Microphoto?  I have never owned an ipod.  I got a Creative Zen Micro 8 GB (mono color, music & FM only), definitely over 5 years ago.  I wish I had the vision.  There came a point, where I had to consolidate what I was carrying, so for now, my mp3 player, is my phone.  It isn't an audiophile experience and I can't listen to quiet stuff in really noisy situations. (I still break out my mp3 player, notebook, or DS, or missing PSP, for extended listening sessions on the go, where I don't want to eat my phone battery).

Well, maybe a pair of Sennheiser MM100 or MM450 would work better, than my Insignias with my phone, but at $50 I'm a lot more forgiving of Insignias faults, compared to the $200 & $450 price tags of the other two.  At the time, the MM100 and MM450, weren’t on the market, either.  Also, the MM100 sound bleed, apparently a lot more than my Insignias.  People can really only hear what I'm listening to if I don't have the insignias over my ears and yet still on.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 14 June 2010, 23:45:17 »
Quote from: kishy;193033
I used to have that generation of RCA Lyra. They're actually pretty decent.

One AAA battery (great battery life IIRC as well), SD card slot, decent sound quality, decent controls.

Mine was stolen in a high school class however. After that I had a basic 128MB Panasonic player, after which I went Zen Micro. When that died due to a terrible mistake on my part, I bought a Zen Vision:M...the iPod killer in features and sound quality (unfortunately for popularity, more literally also size and weight - dropping a ZV:M on an iPod would almost certainly damage the iPod).

The ZV:M does not have an easily replaceable battery, though. Ultimately, 4 screws and you've got access to it, but that's not exactly convenient when you're on the go.

Yeah, if a product doesn't have serviceable batteries, then it reduces the lifespan (and is kind of annoying because the buyer should have the right to maintain what they paid for). But I guess most devices are meant to be thrown away and only used for so long until the "next model" comes out and are forced to buy it.

Although AAA batteries are so expensive that I'd prefer if there were media players running on AA... like a gameboy! Gameboys weren't that big.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 14 June 2010, 23:46:48 »
Quote from: washuai;193140
Congrats Kishy on fixing your Zen Microphoto?  I have never owned an ipod.  I got a Creative Zen Micro 8 GB (mono color, music & FM only), definitely over 5 years ago.  I wish I had the vision.  There came a point, where I had to consolidate what I was carrying, so for now, my mp3 player, is my phone.  It isn't an audiophile experience and I can't listen to quiet stuff in really noisy situations. (I still break out my mp3 player, notebook, or DS, or missing PSP, for extended listening sessions on the go, where I don't want to eat my phone battery).

Well, maybe a pair of Sennheiser MM100 or MM450 would work better, than my Insignias with my phone, but at $50 I'm a lot more forgiving of Insignias faults, compared to the $200 & $450 price tags of the other two.  At the time, the MM100 and MM450, weren’t on the market, either.  Also, the MM100 sound bleed, apparently a lot more than my Insignias.  People can really only hear what I'm listening to if I don't have the insignias over my ears and yet still on.

The recent fix was the Vision:M...but I'm happy about that too lol.

The blue MicroPhoto was previously my friend's, he more or less gave it to me because I had a microdrive I could install (the original died after an abusive life).

That microdrive came from one of my Micros. The green Micro was my first Creative player and I unfortunately killed that on a computer with a mis-wired USB port (my fault...was installing front USB ports and put + and - backwards, something blew up on the motherboard of the Zen Micro). The black Micro was the replacement to fix the green one, but did itself not work due to another problem, so I ended up with an extra microdrive.

The stupidity in that is that I could have tested the port with a USB mouse or something first...but NOOOO gotta test with the Zen Micro...one of my not-so-bright moments.

...anyway, 'daily driver' is back to the Vision:M, it was previously the Vision W.
kishy.ca

Offline pfink

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 15 June 2010, 14:14:45 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;193174
Yeah, if a product doesn't have serviceable batteries, then it reduces the lifespan (and is kind of annoying because the buyer should have the right to maintain what they paid for). But I guess most devices are meant to be thrown away and only used for so long until the "next model" comes out and are forced to buy it.

I'm still using an Archos Jukebox Recorder 20 that I've had for close to eight years:

It uses four standard AA NiMH rechargeable batteries, gets about 12 hours of playing time on a charge.

It's kinda bulky but very hackable. The stock firmware can be replaced with Rockbox and it uses a standard laptop ATA hard drive. I've replaced the original 20GB drive a couple times, it's currently got a 120GB drive installed.

The sound quality is very good, it even has a digital S/PDIF output. The only real downside beside the size/heft is that the only format it'll play is MP3.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 June 2010, 14:22:05 by pfink »

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 15 June 2010, 15:14:15 »
Ah, Rockbox...the developers started working on it for the ZV:M and apparently lost interest or something.
kishy.ca

Offline bitflipper

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 01:35:58 »
It may have its flaws, but the iPod 5th gen or 5.5th gen iPod video are easier to fix than a complicated clicky Alps switch. It's the only Apple product I've ever purchased or used for that matter.

New parts and broken units are cheap and easy to find on ebay. I've had mine under heavy use since 2005 and have replaced the battery, hard drive, face plate, back casing, scroll wheel & button, and numerous headphone jacks. Even loaded rockbox on it for a while.

I believe MediaMonkey and Songbird have iPod plugins if you can't live with iTunes.

If you rip at 320kbps and use quality earbuds, it sounds good enough for everyday use, imho.

Offline Shawn Stanford

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 07:38:34 »
I have a 4gb Zen at home in a drawer. A purple one that I bought for the wife a few years ago and then inherited when she upgraded (which is almost always the way I get new technology and cars). It started getting squirrelly and my wife sent me a 4gb Sansa she pulled off Woot! as a refurb. That worked well for a while, then it started to get squirrelly and my wife handed me a 16gb Sansa she also got off Woot! as a refurb.

Anyway, the point I started out making was that I read a DIY article that showed how to replace the microdrive in a Zen with a CF card. That might be an interesting project for you.
The Brat Prince of COBOL

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 08:14:32 »
My Diamond Rio PMP300 has replaceable batteries... but it's only 32MB.  :D

IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 18:21:47 »
Careful when doing the CF / rotational drive mod. I knocked my MP3 player off the table while testing it uncased, and tore a ribbon cable.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 17 June 2010, 19:20:36 »
This thread brings to mind a project I've been putting off for years now.  I have a old Creative Nomad IIc (128 MB)  Yes, that's MB.  Does anyone know if those can be modded to accept larger media?  I'd probably use it in situations where I wouldn't take my iPod / iPhone due to fear of damage, theft, etc...  Besides, no one would steal one of these ugly old dudes if they saw it in my car seat, etc.  Anyway, I might customize the colors up real sweet and give it to a friend or a kid or something.  I've googled "Nomad IIc" but I can't seem to find relevant results, this thing is OLD.  (Sound quality is fine though, and it DOES take AA batteries :D )
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 11:24:50 »
Quote from: ripster;193813
Looks easier than I thought.  I'm gonna try taking apart my flaky Sansa Clip non-plus.

Do note that it's not quite as trivial for the original Clip. In particular, getting it back together as tightly as it was before seems near-impossible.

Mine has held up pretty well, only the power switch hasn't been as responsive as it used to lately. Also kinda rough-feeling at times, so I guess it's the switch itself. Maybe that's why they abandoned this kind of design in the Clip+.
Quote from: Oqsy;194068
This thread brings to mind a project I've been putting off for years now.  I have a old Creative Nomad IIc (128 MB)  Yes, that's MB.  Does anyone know if those can be modded to accept larger media?

Given that flash players typically use soldered-in flash chips (would be SLC in this case), I'd consider it unlikely. Maybe if you can find the datasheet for the flash controller and it turns out that bigger chips are supported and you can obtain compatible ones.
Quote from: Oqsy;194068
I've googled "Nomad IIc" but I can't seem to find relevant results, this thing is OLD.

I dug out some 2001 vintage computer mags recently, I think I saw that model listed in mail order ads...
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D