Author Topic: Dell Dimension 4300, what to do with it?  (Read 14111 times)

Offline EverythingIBM

Dell Dimension 4300, what to do with it?
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 18 March 2010, 02:08:01 »
Quote from: kishy;165052
Heh, I managed to get my school (college) to give me everything they were going to junk.

Complete package 8-bit ISA diagnostics card,
Toughbook CF-25,
5.25" floppy drive or two,
P4 3.0GHz HT skt478 CPU
Couple CD-ROM drives
Stick or RAM or two
Hard drive or two
Never opened OEM PC-DOS 6.3 (opened it to image the disks),
IBM 5150 Guide to Operations binder,
8088 Project Book,
and uh...I know that's not all.

Oh yeah, 1394167 keyboard that ended up going to Shawn Stanford [a geekhack member whose handle is also his name]

...annnnd the InfoWindow II terminal that keyboard went with.

Hey, if they're going to trash it, why not give it a new loving home?

I got a LOT from my school.... let's see..

2 IBM CRTs (there were more, but I picked the good ones; one had a bad tube, another one my teacher wanted, and another blue logo'ed one I let get mercilessly crushed).
1 IBM ball mouse
2 hard drives
2 cd drives
1 power cord (could have got more, but I got lots already)
something like 10 jewel cases (one holds 4 CDs, and another is a double disc case).
All of my old vintage IBM stuff.
2 windows 95 manuals.
a windows 95 disc.
a windows 98 SE key code (I can get another one, but I see no point).
My excellent model M 1986.
1 twenty foot ethernet cord.
A weird DVI-to-VGA cable (which is really long and cool; I don't need adapters now).
And of course that 1981 XT keyboard (that's so old it doesn't even say XT on the badge) which started it all. I was in total awe... I never typed on something so good. But ironically, I'm back on my KB-8923 (it's very clattery, moreso than a model M).

EDIT: I got all of this during our LAST year there; imagine the stuff they were throwing out during the other years... *sigh*. And I never collected all of the keyboards, there were ALPs ones; at that point I only cared if it had an IBM logo. But now, I like investigating all types of keyboards.

And... I might not have listed everything. I befriended one of the teachers there who, being jolly, gives lots of things away; even if they aren't throwing it out lol!
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 March 2010, 02:12:24 by EverythingIBM »
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT