Author Topic: Trends you would like to see in 2018  (Read 13487 times)

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
Trends you would like to see in 2018
« on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 11:31:50 »
Ill start off with...

the return of biege/white computer cases and monitors. 

Bring back Beige!

Offline zslane

Re: Trends you would like to see in 2018
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 12:46:01 »
1. I’ll add my support to the general call for more white/beige cases.

2. I’d also like to see a resurgence in popularity of full-size keyboards, because if that happened there might be more third party aluminum cases in a full-size form factor. And the more third party full-size alu cases there are, the greater the chances that one will be offered in white/beige.

3. I’d love to see the RealForce R2 become super popular so that maybe a third party alu replacement case (in white) will become available for it (and I can put my RealForce RGB board in one).

Of course, I know that none of these things will happen, but they’re what I wish for most.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 14:35:10 »
These all sound great to me. For 2018

1. Beige anything
2. Heavy ABS plastic custom cases
3. Nicer Alps keycaps
4. my M65-a that I ordered a year ago

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 14:46:00 »
3. Nicer Alps keycaps

1. I would LOVE to see more Alps support in the keycap department. It's hard because alps users are in the minority, but given the right set I think it would be very popular.
2. GMK JIS support. I've seen so many GMK sets use sublegends in an ANSI layout, and it would be wonderful to see JIS actually recognized in an add-on kit.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 15:14:57 »
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 16:14:19 »
I'd like to see more

1. Cat themed artisan keycaps
2. Alps Keyset support
3. More USB C keyboards
4. QMK GUI!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 16:18:33 »
Affordable spherical PBT keycaps other than DSA. I know there's XDA, but it's uniform profile. I'm more hopeful for Chinese sculpted clones or the random new Cherry-like sculpted spherical profile spotted somewhere recently.

I'd love to see more POM… that's a lost cause, though, I'm afraid.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 16:20:53 »
1. Actually tactile mechanical key switches in mainstream "gaming" keyboards. Bring on the Clear and the Purple!

2. Focus on compact micro-ATX form factor PCs.
If you are going with tempered glass -> you want to display it -> you put it on the desk -> it can't be too big.

3. Key switches with shielded light guides instead of bleeding RGB everywhere between keys.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 16:59:57 »
Affordable spherical PBT keycaps other than DSA. I know there's XDA, but it's uniform profile. I'm more hopeful for Chinese sculpted clones or the random new Cherry-like sculpted spherical profile spotted somewhere recently.

I'm down with PBT but only if we can get non-banana shift and space bars.  I have 2 sets that are unusable b/c the shrinkage is so bad.  I finally built a costar board just so I could use one of my ePBT sets.  They bind on cherry stabs b/c they are so out of spec

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 17:04:59 »
Thicker PCBs: this increases the stiffness, allowing you to omit the plate, while discovering new layouts. This is possible because USB C port is 1.4mm thinner than micro usb, which allows to use PCBs thicker by 1.4mm without losing compatibility.

If you want one inch thick PCBs you can also use this escamotage:

185300-0
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 December 2017, 17:52:17 by Giorgio »

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 17:06:11 »
3. Key switches with shielded light guides instead of bleeding RGB everywhere between keys.

That's a really cool idea, but it would involve, what is essentially, a light 'corral'. I feel like that could impede cap travel. Even chiclet keyboards like Apples still have a fair it of bleed around the corners of the caps, so I'd be interested to see what people come up with.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 17:22:26 »
Thicker PCBs, because USB C port is 1.4mm thinner than micro usb, which allows to use PCBs thicker by 1.4mm without losing compatibility.

(Attachment Link)

What would a thicker PCB benefit us? Rigidity? More PCB Layers?.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 17:49:54 »
Thicker PCBs, because USB C port is 1.4mm thinner than micro usb, which allows to use PCBs thicker by 1.4mm without losing compatibility.

(Attachment Link)

What would a thicker PCB benefit us? Rigidity? More PCB Layers?.

More rigidity and less plates. GMK UNIQEY doesn't have a plate, yet it's stiff because the PCB is thick and well attached to the case.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 17:51:26 »
I WOULD LIKE TO SEE MORE PEOPLE USING WINDOWS 95 IN 2018.

CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 18:09:25 »

That's a really cool idea, but it would involve, what is essentially, a light 'corral'. I feel like that could impede cap travel.
The Flaretech switches on my Wooting One have it. The switch housing is made that way. There is still some bleed caused by the keycaps being white on the inside and reflecting the light but I suppose it would be better with doubleshot caps that are more black on the inside.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 19:02:52 »
IBM Model F revival projects that actually materialize.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 20:41:47 »
IBM Model F revival projects that actually materialize.

Hey fohat!  I remember you from back in 2015 when I went on a keyboard binge. Im back for more!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 03:58:15 »
I'm down with PBT but only if we can get non-banana shift and space bars.  I have 2 sets that are unusable b/c the shrinkage is so bad.  I finally built a costar board just so I could use one of my ePBT sets.  They bind on cherry stabs b/c they are so out of spec

Keycaps larger than ~2u have no place on my keyboards.

Maybe if I typed with my feet…

Offline daskeybo

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 30 December 2017, 09:37:11 »

Show Image

Thanks Mom!

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 30 December 2017, 10:21:06 »
Mirrored PVD brass plates for the Realforce 86U, 87U, and 91U with cutouts for the authentic Topre MX stabs featured in the Realforce RGB.

Offline onlyabyte

• tekbyte
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 30 December 2017, 19:10:12 »

Show Image

Haha! Not sure if that would happen but I really like your site :thumb: - my CPU couldn't have taken a bigger hit.
Akko 3087 SA Retro (45g Pink Linears) || Tecware Phantom Cherry BoW (45g Red Linears)

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 30 December 2017, 19:33:20 »
I'd like to see SP start shipping their sets in trays like GMK, Maxkey, and JTK do. It's silly that one of the biggest and longest operating producers of keycaps still ships them in bags that they can get scuffed up in.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 30 December 2017, 20:27:48 »
heavy plastic custom cases. 
alps support.
keyboards.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 30 December 2017, 20:46:32 »
no more bad chamfered case designs

no more poorly executed underglow

more plastic customs, driving prices down and quality up should be a top priority

more pvd brass, especially weights

I'd like to see SP start shipping their sets in trays like GMK, Maxkey, and JTK do. It's silly that one of the biggest and longest operating producers of keycaps still ships them in bags that they can get scuffed up in.

they don't really get scuffed up since they don't really have sharp edges like GMK and JTK, but i'll concede it does look better in a box

the other issue is that SP's (and maxkeys, for fairness) tooling is all manual, whereas GMK (nots sure about JTK) is all automated.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 30 December 2017, 22:05:31 »
New topre blanks. 

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 31 December 2017, 05:45:41 »
Something like PCPartPicker for custom keyboards.
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 31 December 2017, 07:59:48 »
they don't really get scuffed up since they don't really have sharp edges like GMK and JTK, but i'll concede it does look better in a box

My Amazing Chocolatier caps had several light scuffs on various keys which I attributed to the shipping method. Could have happened during production though, who knows. But yeah, if I'm spending $150+ on keycaps they could kick them to me in a plastic tray.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 31 December 2017, 17:13:36 »
Stock clipped Cherry stabilizers (Leopold and Vortex already do it, why can't anybody else?).

Or Costar stabilizers that doesn't grind on thick keycaps (right now only on Cooler Master's PBT line).

These are such simple fix it should just be the norm.  I don't know what manufacturers are waiting for or just simply don't care.

The mushy Cherry stabilizers basically is a deal breaker for me on 80% of the keyboards in the market now.
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 December 2017, 17:15:47 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline qq

• A daydreamer of possibilities
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 19:59:42 »
Keyboards with replaceable switches (no soldering required) and USB-C

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 00:01:35 »
USB C on a keyboard is unnecessary. Keyboards don't talk USB 3.1, they can't draw more power off it anyway (and they shouldn't) and the cable is twice as thick and stiff.
The only thing that USB C gives is a nicer-looking socket and a reversible plug. But there are cables with reversible Micro-USB type B plugs now too.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 03:30:48 »
Availability of RealForce coloured keycap sets, particularly yellow.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 22:12:47 »
Would be neat to see some different materials used in cases, like ceramic or marble bezels that sit in an aluminum or wood base.

Also heavy thick ugly beige stuff, and transparent neon green acrylic cases.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 22:15:53 »
More full size keyboards!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 22:23:59 »

did you see the IC for equalz mountain?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 22:39:34 »
Magnetic USB connections, sort of like Apple Magsafe but for USB. No more damaged sticks, easy to connect without looking, they are just nice to have.

While you can buy adapters for USB C, Thunderbolt and micro, but it would be nice if all USB connectors were built this way by default.

For those not sure what I'm talking about it's these: (thunderbolt model shown)
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 22:54:31 »

did you see the IC for equalz mountain?

Yes, so excite!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 23:03:41 »
Magnetic USB connections, sort of like Apple Magsafe but for USB. No more damaged sticks, easy to connect without looking, they are just nice to have.

While you can buy adapters for USB C, Thunderbolt and micro, but it would be nice if all USB connectors were built this way by default.

For those not sure what I'm talking about it's these: (thunderbolt model shown)
Show Image

This is part of the reason I would like to see a rise in USB-C pcb's.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 23:12:04 »
Microsoft Surfaces not being so damn expensive!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 01:40:30 »
I'm the opposite, I would rather see them be more expensive to keep people from buying the damn things.
Can't fix then, can't upgrade them...
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline MGMorden

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 09:50:29 »
I'd like to see more support for full-sized/104 key layouts among the custom kit scene. 

Just generally more variety in switch design.  The Cherry form factor is good for keycap and PCB compatibility but other than that I'd like to see switches that are built differently since I'm not all that big a fan of actual Cherry switches.

Not keyboard related but I'd also like to see more high quality mice that don't look like they're a Decepticon ready to pounce on me. 

Boards: Unicomp Spacesaver (Buckling Spring) - IBM Model M (Buckling Spring) - Scorpius iOne M10 (Cherry MX Blue) - Logitech K840 (Romer-G) - E-3lue Cobra (replaced with NovelKeys Box Jades) - Smith Corona 6311 (Acer switches) - Matias Tactile Pro PC (Matias Click Switches) - Apple Desktop Bus Keyboard (Alps SKCM Orange)

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 11:07:39 »
Matias switches getting popular and more prebuilt boards with gateron switches

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 11:32:39 »
I'm the opposite, I would rather see them be more expensive to keep people from buying the damn things.
... and they have horrible keyboards!

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 11:53:36 »
3. Nicer Alps keycaps

3. Nicer Alps keycaps

1. I would LOVE to see more Alps support in the keycap department. It's hard because alps users are in the minority, but given the right set I think it would be very popular.

I'd like to see more

2. Alps Keyset support

Has there been an alps DCS set attempted since Alpine Winter? Interested.. The ongoing nexus slider IC is relevant as well.

Why is POM a lost cause? Cherry profile POM is high up on my list of things to try

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 15:48:19 »
Who makes decent (thick) POM caps? Uh, Cherry and PLUM. Who else? In what profiles?

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 17:43:46 »
USB C connectors

Tweak to Xwhatsit firmware that kills the constant buzzer when expansion port is disabled

More Model F custom case one off builds.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Altis

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 18:16:20 »
- Fast-responding software and operating systems
- UIs that actually make sense and are easy on the eyes
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline letsfixitinpost

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 18:49:02 »
I'd be into having a little less RBG and some more vintage / classic styled pc cases and peripherals.  I mean I use rgb in my case because it's just nice to showcase my work, but in the end I find myself wanting to get away from RGB more and more.  Once I saw a corsair RGB headphone stand I figured maybe we were jumping the shark with it.  Still a fan, especially for practical reasons, but it seems to have infested a lot of areas.  I'd also like to see more USB C, but seeing  as my motherboard I bought this year just has one port we're still a ways away in my opinion.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 20:43:07 »

I'd be into having a little less RBG

I find myself wanting to get away from RGB more and more. 

What does "RGB" mean?

I googled the slang and went to the urban dictionary but they only ever talked about the colors.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 20:53:44 »

I'd be into having a little less RBG

I find myself wanting to get away from RGB more and more. 

What does "RGB" mean?

I googled the slang and went to the urban dictionary but they only ever talked about the colors.

It is the colors. Most “gamer” keyboards nowadays have to come with RGB backlighting and/or underglow to be considered acceptable. RGB mania has spilled over into the custom keyboard world as well.

in memoriam

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 20:57:51 »
Now I don't know whether I feel more old and stupid or less old and stupid.

I always thought that backlighting was something silly to be turned off or ignored.

Offline WordStar

« Reply #50 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 22:11:55 »
4. QMK GUI!

It would be great to see more fun low tech thrifty hand wired builds. 
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 February 2018, 08:34:15 by WordStar »

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 07:29:05 »
I will say we have these surface book laptops for work, and they are pretty cool. Although after a week of using it, I have never taken the screen off or used the pen since.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 21:52:02 »
I will say we have these surface book laptops for work, and they are pretty cool. Although after a week of using it, I have never taken the screen off or used the pen since.
They are well made, they look (really) good and they work good (for the most part), I won't deny that.

The connector can be a problem, the keyboard gets NASTY if you have oily skin, USB-C, Win10S (not all), bricked tablets... And don't even get me started on the bait and switch that was Windows RT, which MS gave a a nice middle finger to owners before ending support.  I still remember the days when MS was considered a joke (and in my mind they have returned to this), but today, people bet their entire business on this company and their hardware/software ecosystem, a company who has repeatedly shown they have no care about you or your company.

Here is another thing to consider.
Why is MS competing with their own suppliers? The more you buy MS and ignore the rest, the fewer and fewer options you will have in the future. You are handing MS a monopoly, just like how Apple has a monopoly on their ecosystem. Do you REALLY want MS of all companies having that power. It's bad enough to hand them all of your security and malware (why do you need Defender? if the OS was built right it would be redundant), but now you want to hand them all power over your hardware and data as well? Talk about putting all your eggs in one basket.

I admit, even if the Surface was THE absolute best, I wouldn't want to recommend it for the reasons above, but there are plenty of options out there by companies who are not hostile towards your interests or trying to take advantage of you or they trap you in their ecosystem like MS can and does. Someone makes a Surface Pro clone, that is almost a 1 to 1 copy, with USB A and C, no keyboard cloth, and it's cheaper. How about the LG Gram (droool!) or the Dell XPS line... I don't even like Dell, never had one only ever considered a couple even worth owning, but even I would have to consider them they are so good. And there is of course, always Lenovo. They may not look as good, may cost an arm and a leg for what you get, and they depreciate like a Mercedes S class, but there is a reason big corporations like them, they are durable and cheap to repair/keep running. It's for this reason they lose value, too many flooding the market as they come off lease, but while no one likes depreciation, this leads to LOTS of of cheap parts allowing you to do cheap repairs and upgrades.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 22:04:12 »
They are well made, they look (really) good and they work good (for the most part), I won't deny that.

The connector can be a problem, the keyboard gets NASTY if you have oily skin, USB-C, Win10S (not all), bricked tablets... And don't even get me started on the bait and switch that was Windows RT, which MS gave a a nice middle finger to owners before ending support.  I still remember the days when MS was considered a joke (and in my mind they have returned to this), but today, people bet their entire business on this company and their hardware/software ecosystem, a company who has repeatedly shown they have no care about you or your company.

Here is another thing to consider.
Why is MS competing with their own suppliers? The more you buy MS and ignore the rest, the fewer and fewer options you will have in the future. You are handing MS a monopoly, just like how Apple has a monopoly on their ecosystem. Do you REALLY want MS of all companies having that power. It's bad enough to hand them all of your security and malware (why do you need Defender? if the OS was built right it would be redundant), but now you want to hand them all power over your hardware and data as well? Talk about putting all your eggs in one basket.

I admit, even if the Surface was THE absolute best, I wouldn't want to recommend it for the reasons above, but there are plenty of options out there by companies who are not hostile towards your interests or trying to take advantage of you or they trap you in their ecosystem like MS can and does. Someone makes a Surface Pro clone, that is almost a 1 to 1 copy, with USB A and C, no keyboard cloth, and it's cheaper. How about the LG Gram (droool!) or the Dell XPS line... I don't even like Dell, never had one only ever considered a couple even worth owning, but even I would have to consider them they are so good. And there is of course, always Lenovo. They may not look as good, may cost an arm and a leg for what you get, and they depreciate like a Mercedes S class, but there is a reason big corporations like them, they are durable and cheap to repair/keep running. It's for this reason they lose value, too many flooding the market as they come off lease, but while no one likes depreciation, this leads to LOTS of of cheap parts allowing you to do cheap repairs and upgrades.
Who hurt you??? J/k nah I get it lol. If I had 3k to pick a laptop with it would have probably been some kind of maxed out Thinkpad.

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 22:06:23 »
IT guy already told me they RMa'd like 10 of them in the past year too lol

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 17:58:38 »
3. Nicer Alps keycaps

3. Nicer Alps keycaps

I'd like to see more

2. Alps Keyset support

Has there been an alps DCS set attempted since Alpine Winter? Interested.. The ongoing nexus slider IC is relevant as well.

Why is POM a lost cause? Cherry profile POM is high up on my list of things to try

There is some clear desire for alps support. Tough part is, mx compatibles will always sell. I don't want to say that's mx sets are playing it safe, but...

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 06:42:40 »
Now I don't know whether I feel more old and stupid or less old and stupid... I always thought that backlighting was something silly to be turned off or ignored.

Are you kidding? They're just getting started. I have it on good authority that 2018 will be the year of keyboard strobe lights, mirror balls and smoke machines.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline tron

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 14:51:20 »
Would love to see a solenoid in some of the larger retro cases or supported via break out box (pictured is my 5251 with solenoid).

Offline omjak

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 23:15:56 »
1. High quality keycap sets for Topre switches
2. High quality backlit keycap sets
&  Lower prices on everything lol

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 01:05:40 »

GMK workin on that second thing

Offline TheInverseKey

• You can run but you cannot hide!
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 12:43:51 »
PBT everything, I mean like keycaps and cases.  This way none of the plastic yellows.  Also the keycaps don't wear down as fast as ABS.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 15:53:55 »
PBT everything, I mean like keycaps and cases.  This way none of the plastic yellows.  Also the keycaps don't wear down as fast as ABS.

I may be taking your comment too seriously, but pbt is a very brittle plastic and is quite hard to work with. It's great for keycaps etc, but is a terrible choice for cases.

See: https://www.kunststoffe.de/en/_storage/asset/589652/storage/master/file/6117989/download/Cause%20and%20Remedies:%20Brittle%20Fracture%20in%20PBT.pdf

As for pbt keycaps... I totally agree. My biggest complain with GMK is the abs wear.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 19:52:18 »
Would love to see a solenoid in some of the larger retro cases or supported via break out box (pictured is my 5251 with solenoid).

Is there some small-ish solenoid out there that could bring a nice tactile punch to our cool keyboards?  I need this in my life.  My dream keyboard for 2018: beige, plastic case, 65%, solenoid, musical speaker, USB-C, and comes with SA retro keycaps installed

:p
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 February 2018, 19:55:18 by reececonrad »

Offline tron

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 10:54:31 »

Is there some small-ish solenoid out there that could bring a nice tactile punch to our cool keyboards?  I need this in my life.  My dream keyboard for 2018: beige, plastic case, 65%, solenoid, musical speaker, USB-C, and comes with SA retro keycaps installed

:p

Solenoids are dirt cheap and could probably be integrated into some of the larger retro cases coming out. It makes sense to use them given the retro design trend, however, someone would have to write code to support it and design a new case/pcb with break out pins (Rama and Wilba collab :thumb:).

« Last Edit: Thu, 15 February 2018, 10:58:51 by tron »

Offline TheInverseKey

• You can run but you cannot hide!
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 12:51:13 »

I may be taking your comment too seriously, but pbt is a very brittle plastic and is quite hard to work with. It's great for keycaps etc, but is a terrible choice for cases.

See: https://www.kunststoffe.de/en/_storage/asset/589652/storage/master/file/6117989/download/Cause%20and%20Remedies:%20Brittle%20Fracture%20in%20PBT.pdf

As for pbt keycaps... I totally agree. My biggest complain with GMK is the abs wear.

Yes the case being made out og pbt was a joke but you are right in the fact that I was there was more pbt keysets for mx mount switches.  So now I have reverted to space invader keyboards because they all come with pbt caps standard.

Ps. PCV cases like the model m also don't yellow might be a better option.

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 12:54:30 »

We shouldn't really make anything out of pvc tho.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 13:01:30 »

We shouldn't really make anything out of pvc tho.

Why no PVC?

in memoriam

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 14:06:25 »
PVC is a nasty chemical. Bad for the environment both in its production process and as waste. Burning it releases poison.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 15:17:03 »
Keyboard designs with a left side numpad, right side navigation cluster.
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline gilmoregrills

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 06:51:29 »
More topre keycaps! I'd be delighted if someone would just sell nice thick PBT blanks in various sizes so you could cobble together a decent looking set. Or a different profile? Something high profile that was a bit nicer and didn't require you to find a board from the 80s or something would be chill as hell.

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 07:21:28 »
1. PBT Keysets with GMK levels of quality. Seriously - the Koreans are doing double-shot PBT with the richness of ABS colors. Look at the new Leopold keysets. This doesn't bode well for the future for ABS. People say that ABS vs PBT is subjective, but honestly PBT is denser, doesn't shine nearly as easily, and doesn't discolor. Now that PBT can be manufactured in a doubleshot process with the same richness of colors as ABS there is no argument to continue using ABS. The industry just needs to adapt tooling to the latest doubleshot PBT process.

2. Better solutions for using MX keysets on Topre switches. We are 99% of the way there, just need some refinements in stabilizer support which the Realforce RGB TKL has solved (releasing in 2018). The Noxary XRF could be the best of both worlds with support for both Topre and MX keysets. The market doesn't exist for Topre keysets - we barely meet MOQ on MX keysets. Better to standardize around the MX stem (frankly an industry standard) and just adapt the Topre PCB to use MX sliders using a plethora of available options (many of which can be improved upon but which exist today with no wobble or other issues except for stab support).

« Last Edit: Tue, 20 February 2018, 07:25:32 by Wetherbee »

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 15:30:52 »
PVC is a nasty chemical. Bad for the environment both in its production process and as waste. Burning it releases poison.

I would love to see the environmental impact of this hobby. I recently did that math for amount of carbon released per bitcoin.... it's well over 3000 gallons of gas. PER BITCOIN.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 16:10:31 »

This, actually I wish everybody would ship in similar cases to JTK.
189223-0
Easily the best packaging I've seen with key caps, especially if you're comparing it too SP's here's your bag full of caps you paid like $200 for approach.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 18:35:57 »
1. PBT Keysets with GMK levels of quality. Seriously - the Koreans are doing double-shot PBT with the richness of ABS colors. Look at the new Leopold keysets. This doesn't bode well for the future for ABS. People say that ABS vs PBT is subjective, but honestly PBT is denser, doesn't shine nearly as easily, and doesn't discolor. Now that PBT can be manufactured in a doubleshot process with the same richness of colors as ABS there is no argument to continue using ABS. The industry just needs to adapt tooling to the latest doubleshot PBT process.

I have the new Cherry profile double shot PBT set from KPrepublic, and it is very nice. The legends aren’t 100% consistent in thickness, but that is just me being nitpicky. Anyhow, I just don’t like the feel of PBT caps at all, and much prefer thick ABS like SA or GMK.

in memoriam

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 19:27:03 »
1. Cerakoted and powder coated customs (at reasonable prices) seeing as the colours attainable are thousandfold that way; I personally feel anodising is a little dated but I know that's not likely a popular opinion.

2. Hot swappable factory assembled boards (like the Tokyo60 and Rama's M6, M10 and M60) so that more people have easier entry into the community.

3. Actual good topre to MX sliders and/or (ideally) another way of having MX caps on topre boards that doesn't require case disassembly etc. More/new topre boards wouldn't hurt, either.

4. Real ALPS switches (not Matias) and new alps keyboards in general becoming easier to procure than they are right now so that they can become less of a unicorn for regular hobbyists.

5. USB-C standard.

That's about all I'd want.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 20:05:32 »
- I too am ready for a usb standard... C seems like the right choice going forward.
- I would like to see LED's go away in exchange for all clear switches and RGB underglow controls.
- Modern laptops with built-in mechanical switches.
- Kailh hot swap compatibility on more pcbs.
- Alternative finishes on keyboards besides Chinese anodizing.
-Dana

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 22:36:27 »
- I too am ready for a usb standard... C seems like the right choice going forward.
- I would like to see LED's go away in exchange for all clear switches and RGB underglow controls.
- Modern laptops with built-in mechanical switches.
- Kailh hot swap compatibility on more pcbs.
- Alternative finishes on keyboards besides Chinese anodizing.
I have a drawer full of mini and micro cables. I have become resistant to new standards, no matter how convenient they are xD
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline Rob27shred

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 22:43:05 »
1. Cerakoted and powder coated customs (at reasonable prices) seeing as the colours attainable are thousandfold that way; I personally feel anodising is a little dated but I know that's not likely a popular opinion.

2. Hot swappable factory assembled boards (like the Tokyo60 and Rama's M6, M10 and M60) so that more people have easier entry into the community.

3. Actual good topre to MX sliders and/or (ideally) another way of having MX caps on topre boards that doesn't require case disassembly etc. More/new topre boards wouldn't hurt, either.

4. Real ALPS switches (not Matias) and new alps keyboards in general becoming easier to procure than they are right now so that they can become less of a unicorn for regular hobbyists.

5. USB-C standard.

I can get behind all your suggestions, especially ones about Topre to MX compatability & real new ALPS switches. I'm honestly really surprised nobody has tried to make a high quality ALPS clone other than Matias TBH. As revered as proper ALPS are by the community you'd think someone would've picked up the ALPS flag by now & been really pushing it in a high end direction. :confused:

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 22:47:55 »

5. USB-C standard.

I can get behind all your suggestions, especially ones about Topre to MX compatability & real new ALPS switches. I'm honestly really surprised nobody has tried to make a high quality ALPS clone other than Matias TBH. As revered as proper ALPS are by the community you'd think someone would've picked up the ALPS flag by now & been really pushing it in a high end direction. :confused:

We need to sell it to the gamer crowd somehow.... 

Offline Rob27shred

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 23:11:58 »

5. USB-C standard.

We need to sell it to the gamer crowd somehow....

This is very true for ALPS & even Topre for that matter to become as mainstream as MX, not sure what angle could be taken there.

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 11:59:32 »
Showing my bias a little =/

- Fewer 60% boards rehashing the same but different;
- On the flip side, more full size please;
- Embrace of the left-hand arrow and number clusters;
- Kailh Box switches add PCB-mount pins;
- Higher quality and more varied shine-through;
- Standardised switch pin locations and stems - I'm looking at you new low-profile switches, you're brand new yet incompatible with existing PCBs and need new cap designs. Any new Alps should be easy to slot into the heavily MX-biased scene if they're to gain any traction.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 15:22:45 »
- Standardised switch pin locations and stems - I'm looking at you new low-profile switches, you're brand new yet incompatible with existing PCBs and need new cap designs. Any new Alps should be easy to slot into the heavily MX-biased scene if they're to gain any traction.

There are physical reasons for some of these differences you know.  While I'm not sure about the pin locations (though I doubt they're arbitrary), if you're building a low-profile switch you probably also want to support low-profile keycaps.  And making the slider have an MX-style mount that protrudes into the keycap inherently requires the keycap to have a certain amount of height.  That's why the low-profile switches have holes in the slider and plastic pins on the keycap that insert into the slider holes.  The entire package can then be made significantly shorter.

Similarly I don't think making an Alps-style switch that's completely MX compatible is as simple as you make it sound.  OK you could probably make an Alps-style switch that accommodated MX keycaps (in fact people are working on mods for that...).  But you're not going to fit an Alps-style switch in an MX housing.  There's no room to place the tactile/clicky leaf spring.  I guess you could do linear Alps but is that really worth it?  I don't feel like there's that much difference between a linear Alps and a linear MX switch.

An actual production Alps switch with MX keycap compatibility would be nice though...

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 15:49:03 »

There are physical reasons for some of these differences you know.  While I'm not sure about the pin locations (though I doubt they're arbitrary), if you're building a low-profile switch you probably also want to support low-profile keycaps.  And making the slider have an MX-style mount that protrudes into the keycap inherently requires the keycap to have a certain amount of height.  That's why the low-profile switches have holes in the slider and plastic pins on the keycap that insert into the slider holes.  The entire package can then be made significantly shorter.

Similarly I don't think making an Alps-style switch that's completely MX compatible is as simple as you make it sound.  OK you could probably make an Alps-style switch that accommodated MX keycaps (in fact people are working on mods for that...).  But you're not going to fit an Alps-style switch in an MX housing.  There's no room to place the tactile/clicky leaf spring.  I guess you could do linear Alps but is that really worth it?  I don't feel like there's that much difference between a linear Alps and a linear MX switch.

An actual production Alps switch with MX keycap compatibility would be nice though...
Didn't SMK already do this? The problem is they decided on doing a different pin arrangement.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 16:02:32 »
4. Real ALPS switches (not Matias)

Hear! Hear!

GMK workin on that second thing

I didn't know this, that's exciting. I'll be looking forward to pushing these on my gamer friends

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 17:26:21 »

Oh indeed, I don't dispute the constraints, and I'm sure they're significant, and certainly low pro keys need different caps, but if immediate uptake is desired a little backward compatibility would help. I made it sound simple as I was using the medium of bullet points. Maybe their intent is to start a whole new segment from scratch, I don't know, I just know I was a little disappointed I couldn't put the low pro switches on an existing PCB.

As to ALPS, that's a different beast - what happens in teh black box between the keycap and PCB is whatever they want it to be, but it would be nice if the end conditions were something that could easily interface with the bulk of the market. Again, bullet points, and just my tuppence.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 19:57:25 »

The pin location can be changed, however, it could significantly up the manufacturing cost of the switch.
However, there is more to compatibility besides the pins, the height of the plate to the PCB is also different. You're basically going to have to re-design the entire switch to make it MX interchangeable.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 21:24:42 »
- Pins: it might cost more to fabricate, I'm just pondering what that would mean to better sales if PCBs don't need to be redesigned to accommodate. I'm sure my point is moot however - switches aren't designed for the enthusiast buying a hundred at a time, they're more likely for large scale makers in all industries who buy millions;
- PCB/plate gap: I don't see that as a problem - if the switch fits into a standard plate and a standard PCB it would have made no difference in my build. I am of course using the useless sample size of me and myself;
- My point is only on, as much as possible, standardising the end conditions. Granted the MX cap is harder to figure out in low pro, but common pins and maybe even the plate interface would please me immensely. It's like having a standard cable, or electrical outlets.

Also this is a wishlist, and it's a long way to XMas.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 22:46:53 »
Didn't SMK already do this? The problem is they decided on doing a different pin arrangement.

Technically SMK switches aren't Alps clones.  I mean, they're similar to Alps switches but also just different enough to warrant a different classification, at least in my opinion.  They're kind of their own thing.

But yeah, MX compatible SMKs are pretty nice!  I'm glad I have a board with them ;)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 05:02:45 »
- Pins: it might cost more to fabricate, I'm just pondering what that would mean to better sales if PCBs don't need to be redesigned to accommodate. I'm sure my point is moot however - switches aren't designed for the enthusiast buying a hundred at a time, they're more likely for large scale makers in all industries who buy millions;
- PCB/plate gap: I don't see that as a problem - if the switch fits into a standard plate and a standard PCB it would have made no difference in my build. I am of course using the useless sample size of me and myself;
- My point is only on, as much as possible, standardising the end conditions. Granted the MX cap is harder to figure out in low pro, but common pins and maybe even the plate interface would please me immensely. It's like having a standard cable, or electrical outlets.

Also this is a wishlist, and it's a long way to XMas.
It would be simply easier to replicate the feel with am MX switch, it's just a matter of ramp shape and spring rate.
There are some pcb's that are compatible with both.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Zustiur

« Reply #89 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 04:06:46 »
1. Continual increase in genuinely ergo keyboards becoming normal office supply
2. Move away from rubber some cheap keyboards back to mechanical
3. Politicians being held to account for their lies
4. Big companies to realise that the continual cycle of redundancies and new hires is detrimental to the company over all.
5. Me sticking to topic better

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #90 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 00:32:56 »
  • More USB C adoption
  • Less RGB
  • More innovation (or less of the same [underglow, brass weights] in the high end custom market
  • Lower GMK prices
  • Clack to come back
  • This is going to be a controversial one, but the mass adoption of cheap mech boards ironically has brought prices of certain boards up. Model M's for example.  I dont know how to solve that problem but I feel like the community is goinbg through what can best be described as growing pains. Hope that doesnt sound too gatekeeper ish
  • More BBCode plugins plz Gekhck

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 10:49:55 »
Keyboards that have many settings should make it possible to change them (and save them!) with key commands on the keyboard itself instead of requiring you to install custom software on the host for changing them.
Few keyboard manufacturers have control panels that work on Linux or MacOS or even on 32-bit Windows (being 64-bit Windows only). Wooting One released a 64-bit x86 Linux version first after half a year, and it was not possible to change from the default rainbow theme in that time.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 01:25:30 »
More non-metallic plates.

I built my first fully acrylic sandwich board, including the plate, and I really like the feel and sound of it.  It's less harsh than a metal plate, but it still provides a nice balance of stability (and switch positioning...) compared to going fully plateless.

I'm also quite interested in trying a carbon fiber plate sometime but while there are a few of them out there the options still seem pretty limited.  The vast majority of custom kits come with metal plates.  Frankly I'm getting a little sick of all the metal.