Author Topic: Minus one laptop...  (Read 3049 times)

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Minus one laptop...
« on: Mon, 29 March 2010, 18:21:00 »
Today my stepdad was typing away on his laptop, no issues what-so-ever, when all of the sudden...death!  The motherboard failed in his 3 year old HP Pavillion dv6000 laptop, the exact same laptop that my mother use to have (it's motherboard failed too).  So of course, it is Computer-Lab in Basement to the rescue!  Need a loaner laptop? You got it! Lent him my Micron TransPort GX+.  So for the time being, I am minus one laptop while I let my stepdad use it.  

Just out of curiosity, anyone here ever have a motherboard on a laptop fail?
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline hyperlinked

Minus one laptop...
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 March 2010, 18:29:07 »
Thought not technically part of the motherboard, I might have had a logic board fail on a 4 year old Apple Titanium Powerbook. I don't know for sure because I sold it off for parts after replacing the PRAM battery didn't fix the problem.

It didn't totally die, but it was so erratic that I could only turn the laptop on once every few days. Since it appeared to have some kind of power related issue, I thought it was a PRAM battery, but it turned out to be more... what exactly I don't know. A new logic board would have cost more than I wanted to spend to repair that machine.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
Minus one laptop...
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 March 2010, 18:38:46 »
I've heard a lot of HP laptops from the past few years have had heat-related motherboard failures...it's a design flaw supposedly. Not really surprising if you've tried to use one on your lap...compared to equivalents from other manufacturers, they do run hot.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Minus one laptop...
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 March 2010, 18:43:25 »
I remember the day that my mother's dv6000 failed she had it on her lap for about an hour, that must be what pushed it over the edge.
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
Minus one laptop...
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 March 2010, 19:40:38 »
Quote from: ripster;167940
I'm on my third battery for my Fujitsu tablet.   I think it may be because it runs so hot and I tend to use it plugged in 95% of the time.  Anybody here remove their battery when plugging in to the AC?

The good news is a bit of DeOxit seems to have finally fixed the trackpoint drift problem I was having.

I've got the 9-cell for my Inspiron 630m. When I use it on AC power - which is the majority of the time - the battery is always in.

I'd say the 'curve' for this battery has been excellent. When I got it two years ago I could stretch 4-5 hours, maybe more with wifi off and screen low, and now I'll get somewhere between 2-3 or if I'm really stressing it between 1-2. Keep in mind the battery was already used before I got the computer.

I've read stuff pointing in every direction when it comes to charging cycles, prolonging life, removing when charging, etc...yet the way I use it defies all the common suggestions and I still get decent life out of it. As with everything I guess YMMV

Edit: to be clear, I have and do use it on battery, generally for a full discharge cycle or at least half, perhaps when in class not near an outlet or at a friends or something like that. I didn't mean to suggest the life degraded over time without getting any use out of the battery.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 March 2010, 20:49:44 by kishy »
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Minus one laptop...
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 29 March 2010, 20:11:01 »
My laptop's battery clocks in about two hours of battery life. If I need more than that then I just tote my big old UPS with me.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Minus one laptop...
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 29 March 2010, 21:24:37 »
I can get about 1.5 hours per battery on my Latitude D600.  I have 2 good batteries, and another crappy battery that gets about 0.5 hours.  3.5 hours battery life total.  I never use it on battery though.  I should get a super-good battery for this laptop.  I would be happy with a battery that gets 3 hours.
tp thread is tp thread

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Minus one laptop...
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 10:39:08 »
so back in March I made this thread asking about motherboard issues with laptops.  It all started with me explaining about how both my parents HP dv6000 laptops had motherboard failure.  So three days ago I was talking to MS Windows about them, and he said I should try to get them running again.  Ok, so I tried turning on my step dad's laptop first.  Nothing.  I tried it so many times that I got frustrated and thought of the most obscure way to revive it: the Heimlich maneuver.  I gave the computer a nice forceful push in the middle of the keyboard and it actually worked!  My step dad's laptop was, and still is, running like nothing ever happened to it.
    So then came the more-than-impossible task of resurrecting my mothers old laptop.  This was to be no easy task considering that it has been sitting in pieces in a box for the past 2 years.  So I pulled out the motherboard.  It was still in one piece, but the CPU was missing.  So I got that and put the heat sink and fan back on it.  Then I put the LCD back together.  Then I just installed the RAM and CD drive, and plugged it in.  Of course, it didn't work.  This also frustrated my to the point that I just started smacking the motherboard with a floppy disk.  I tried turning it on again, and it worked!  By some miracle of God or some other non-Earthly being, I got both broken laptops with faulty motherboards running again.  Very unorthodox.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline chimera15

Minus one laptop...
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 11:07:05 »
The dv6000's have the same graphics chip problem that the tx1000 that I have has. HP never recalled these systems even though it's a known problem. The graphic chip needs to be reflowed/reballed.  I tried to reball mine but ended up tearing the graphics chip and mobo all to pieces.  Need a new mobo, but they cost as much as the computer cost me.  The repair will work for a while, but the problem will come back.  The problem is a heat issue with the chip mainly.  Pressure can sometimes make enough contact, but it only lasts a week or two before the issue comes back.

Those hp's with the nvidia chips are total lemons.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 June 2010, 11:09:29 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Minus one laptop...
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 14:04:05 »
Quote from: chimera15;195482
hp's ... are total lemons.

Fixed.

Offline EverythingIBM

Minus one laptop...
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 19:19:07 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;167916

I use IBM, so, I don't get any motherboard failures in laptops ;)
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline chimera15

Minus one laptop...
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 19:20:37 »
Quote from: ch_123;195512
Fixed.

Hopefully.  Most likely it'll fail again shortly.  Not all hps are total lemons, just those series.  Almost every computer manufacturer has a lemon line that dies.  Some companies like say dell actually recall theirs.  Hp decided to tell the buyers of these products to suck it, which is pretty bad.  I have a tx2500z which is the descendant of the tx1000 that I'm still perfectly happy with, that uses an ati graphics chip, and is much more stable.

Quote from: EverythingIBM;195587

The day ibm makes a laptop with the capabilities of a tx1000, and stops using the worthless intel graphics chips in all their tablets and a lot of their desktop mobos is the day I'll switch to them. lol

"The light that burns twice as bright lasts half as long."  Unfortunately this is the case of the tx1000 and dv hps. lol
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 June 2010, 19:28:11 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline Nonmouse

Minus one laptop...
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 22 June 2010, 19:55:45 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;195473
I got both broken laptops with faulty motherboards running again.

Ummm... How did you originally diagnose motherboard failures on these?

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Minus one laptop...
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 23 June 2010, 04:16:02 »
Quote from: chimera15;195588
Hopefully.  Most likely it'll fail again shortly.  Not all hps are total lemons, just those series.  Almost every computer manufacturer has a lemon line that dies.  Some companies like say dell actually recall theirs.  Hp decided to tell the buyers of these products to suck it, which is pretty bad.  I have a tx2500z which is the descendant of the tx1000 that I'm still perfectly happy with, that uses an ati graphics chip, and is much more stable.

The day ibm makes a laptop with the capabilities of a tx1000, and stops using the worthless intel graphics chips in all their tablets and a lot of their desktop mobos is the day I'll switch to them. lol

"The light that burns twice as bright lasts half as long."  Unfortunately this is the case of the tx1000 and dv hps. lol

There's only one line of HP systems I'm interested in. The rest look like junk.

I use IBM, so, I don't get any motherboard failures in laptops

I have seen Thinkpads with dead motherboards.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Minus one laptop...
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 23 June 2010, 12:53:14 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;167916

Yes. IBM Thinkpad R30 fail on me right and left. I have two non-functioning units from a long run of supporting a number of R30 for my family. Its the only ThinkPad I've ever regretted owning.

As for reflowing/reballing a poorly soldered NVIDIA chip, that was common on the iBook 500, 600, 700, 800. There are articles in the mac sites about people successfully reflowing their solder with a candle or oven. That shoudl probably work for the HP unit previously mention ed in this thread.

Quote from: EverythingIBM;195587

Get a ThinkPad R30 and re-evaluate. I triple dog dare you.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 June 2010, 12:55:57 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Minus one laptop...
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 23 June 2010, 13:04:43 »
Quote from: ricercar;195756

As for reflowing/reballing a poorly soldered NVIDIA chip, that was common on the iBook 500, 600, 700, 800. There are articles in the mac sites about people successfully reflowing their solder with a candle or oven. That shoudl probably work for the HP unit previously mention ed in this thread.

Hmm... do you think you might be able to put up a link to this information?  It might be useful to me.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.