Author Topic: Vortex Race 3 Caps Lock LED flickering  (Read 2974 times)

Offline crackhawk

Vortex Race 3 Caps Lock LED flickering
« on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 15:05:31 »
Hi all!

I'm new here and I will introduce myself in "New Members" section soon.

I have a Problem with my new Vortex Race 3 Keyboard: The CapsLock Indication light doesn't work properly.

Sometimes it flickers, sometimes it doesn't work.

See: https://imgur.com/HKHua3T

I imagine that it occurred after the firmware update to V 1.02.05, but i can't say that for sure.
Does anyone have the Firmware 1.02.04 so i can test it?

Any other ideas what the problem could be?

Thank's for help :)

Daniel

EDIT: Why i think it could be the Firmware, see: https://imgur.com/mcU6rhH
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 May 2018, 18:46:27 by crackhawk »
Owner of the fabulous Vortex Race 3 Mechanical Keyboard with Cherry MX Clear switches!

Offline jcoffin1981

Re: Vortex Race 3 Caps Lock LED flickering
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 12 May 2018, 00:49:39 »
I've had LED's that have hummed and/or flickered and this is really annoying.  And the firmware update caused it in one case and fixed it in another.  I'd try Vortex support before replacing a new LED.

BTW, how often do you use CAPS where this is actually a real world problem? I usually just hold down shift for a few words if I have to.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline crackhawk

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 12 May 2018, 02:54:26 »
Thank's for your reply, gives me hope :D
Yep, I wouldn't replace the LED without trying the firmware upgrade/downgrade. I asked vortex support if they could provide me firmware version 1.02.04 so i can test it.

I do not use Caps Lock very often, mostly accidentally. So it's not a real world problem - but the Keyboard is new, and if it is a hardware problem, i would like to have it replaced.
Owner of the fabulous Vortex Race 3 Mechanical Keyboard with Cherry MX Clear switches!

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 19:40:11 »
I'm just curious, have you solved this issue yet?  I haven't downloaded the user manual, but if you have there may be ways around it.  If Vortex cannot provide you with the older firmware which they should, there may be other places to download this.  Just be cautious these can be riddled with spyware and what have you, so scan before opening, especially executable files. 

If you follow the manual, look at the dipswitches, there may be ways to swap Caps with Ctrl or turn Caps into FN.  This way if you press it by itself it will not effect future keypresses. This hasn't seemed to pique a whole lot of interest, but please if you get a chance update; I am curious.  Thanks.

Also, as a rule, look at the fixes the firmware upgrade introduces.  If none affect you then it may be best to  leave it. 
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Offline crackhawk

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 14:53:12 »
No, unfortunately the problem still exists. The Support has not answered yet. The single answer was that I should run the Firmware Update again which didn't work. I sent them the Videos and asked for the older firmware version - no answer yet, neither by E-mail, nor by Facebook.

So, yep... i shouldn't have done the update  :-[

I haven't found the older Firmware anywhere yet, only for the Pok3r. Swapping Caps with Ctrl works, but the LEDs still flickering.

So, if anyone has the Firmware Version 1.02.04 or older, please info me.

Offline ag36

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 16:06:04 »
Are you able to contact your vendor for help?
Model M*5, SSK*4, M13 black*1, Model F XT*1, AT*1 F107*1, Unicomp*1, 3278 *1, Leopold FC750R*2, 980M*2 FC980C*1 Filco majestouch 2 TKL*1, Cooler Master MasterKeys S PBT*1, Uniqey Q100*2, Ducky pocket*1, KBD75*2, KBD19X*2, HHKB pro 2*1, Type-S*1 Topre Realforce RGB*1, 108 all 30g*1, numpad*1, 87U*1 Dell AT101W*2, Alps64*2, V80 matias quiet click*2, Quiet liner *1, WYSE ASCII *1

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 22:31:38 »
Oh, I didn't see the link to the video.  I'll be honest; I thought you were making a big deal about something silly, but that's significant and pretty annoying.  Does it do this for the other Fn layer indicator lights under the spacebar too?  I assume so.

I have an idea.  This board has been included in group buys on Massdrop.com.  If you can find the board you can also find discussions with other owners and/or potential owners. There are running discussions and you may get in touch with someone who has what you're looking for.