Author Topic: Filco majestouch 2 Best TKL for modding.  (Read 9642 times)

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Filco majestouch 2 Best TKL for modding.
« on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 16:19:16 »
introduction

So hello guys today i am ready to review the Filco Majestouch 2. I needed a keyboard to play MMO's so i went looking on /MM and found a new in box Filco Majestouch with black switches for 100 Euro so i just grabbed it with out a second thought because Filco was admired for it's build quality i couldn't go wrong :D.

Content

Item information

Build quality

Stabilizers

keycaps

Modding

My filco

End conclusion

Item information

Details and Specifications
Brand   Filco
Model   Majestouch 2
Size   Tenkeyless
Physical Layout   US QWERTY
Logical Layout   ANSI
Primary LED Color   n/a
Control LED Color   n/a
USB Key Rollover   Full
Multimedia Keys   No
Switch Mount Type   Plate
Built in Audio Port   No
Built in Mic Port   No
Windows Compatible   Yes
Dimensions   14.10" x 5.30" x 1.30"
Weight   2.20 lbs
Cord Length   60 inches

Build Quality
When i got the keyboard in my hands it feels like high quality. The case feels super sturdy and there is almost no flex in the keyboard. the keyboard feels nice and compact and i love the rounded edges of the case.

Stabilizers
The keyboard uses Costar stabilizers they feel right and smooth out of the box so no need to lube it but it lube makes everything better :) . The down side of it is that putting key caps on stabilized key caps take more work but i don't think that is a big problem. I did notice after i changed my key caps to EnjoyPBT key caps that my space-bar was loud and made a loud clack only the right side of the space bar. i fixed by using krytox lube and it's nice and silent again. I would say the costar stabilizers are pretty nice and don't need modding unlike cherry stabilizers so that's a +.

KeyCaps
The key caps feel bad and they are super thin. They did get the job done while i was waiting for new key caps to come in. But i would recommend buying Thick dubbelshot ABS keycaps or PBT. There is not much to say about the key caps they are just bad.

Modding
There are a lot of great other TKL keyboards that surpass then Filco in many ways. The Filco doesn't have any function keys and uses thin printed ABS key caps. If you are gonna buy a Filco replacing the keycaps is super recommended. If you don't want to buy new key caps you can get the Leopold FC750 it comes with thick PBT key-caps and is on par with the Filco build quality. But the Filco has more modding options. Unlike the Leopold keyboard it doesn't have the option to buy a aluminium case. that is the biggest difference. You can change the keyboard into a end game with just getting new key caps and a aluminum case. The aluminium cases you can get on Ali express/Doyustudio also makes it possible to make it detachable. Not that it's special or anything but it's nice to have.

My Filco
When i got my Filco i desolderd the switches and replaced them with gateron yellow/spring and placed them in a cherry housing lubed. And it feels great.

End conclusion
The Filco keyboard is a great keyboard if you planning on modding it or later in the future. But if you are just buying it to have a mechanical TKL keyboard i think its best to get a Leopold TKL board.

« Last Edit: Wed, 16 May 2018, 04:43:45 by Sup »
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline giangtran19x

Re: Filco majestouch 2 Best TKL for modding.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 19:27:51 »
Thanks for your reviewing!!! :cool:

Offline MrDongblaster

• Diet Dr. Pepper Enthusiast
Re: Filco majestouch 2 Best TKL for modding.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 21:55:24 »
That's sick. I made the wrong choice for an entry level TKL by picking the ES-87 over the filco. Oh well ;). Looks really nice!