Author Topic: [IC] FSSK PCB  (Read 6803 times)

Offline u

[IC] FSSK PCB
« on: Sun, 12 August 2018, 12:54:03 »
Hello. I am checking the interest for a run of FSSK PCBs. With a FSSK PCB, you can switch the buckling springs in a IBM model M SSK to the buckling springs from a model F. You will need to find flippers from a model f and you will need a XWHATSIT controller. Using a commonsense controller may also be possible, but it has not been tested.

For more information, please read these deskthority threads

https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/fssk-v1-0-installation-users-manual-t13551.html

https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/f-ssk-t10744.html

The PCBs should cost between $10-20 not including shipping. If you are interested, please fill out this form. https://goo.gl/forms/oXsyBNOlSIAoYUdh2

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
Re: [IC] FSSK PCB
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 12 August 2018, 13:37:23 »
Registered for two. Thanks for running this!

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 12 August 2018, 15:35:03 »
Very cool! If I was still in the game I would be all over this for my birthday Model M.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 August 2018, 19:21:52 »
Where are you gonna order the PCBs? I'm asking it because the FSSK PCBs I ordered from YLC a while back have dead traces.
I guess the traces in the gerber files are too thin that JLC can't support.
Idk which PCB maker idollar used before but I suggest you to avoid using JLC at least.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 August 2018, 20:04:13 »
Oof, that's not good. I'm good with spending a few extra bucks for a test run first.

Offline u

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 August 2018, 20:17:09 »
idollar used PCBway for his PCBs and has vouched for their quality. I plan on using PCBway as well.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 10 September 2018, 21:47:24 »
Any updates on this one? Have you advertised it in the usual places?

Offline u

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 10 September 2018, 22:24:40 »
Sorry about not updating for a while. I have been in contact with idollar about some of the specifications of the PCBs. Unfortunately, he is pretty busy at the moment, so sometimes it takes a while to get replies. We should have enough people for the group buy. From the interest check, it looks like I will be ordering ~25 boards.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 10 September 2018, 22:33:58 »
Fantastic news, thanks! I'm not in a big rush, and it's good to know that we have enough orders for the GB to go ahead.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 19:28:10 »
I am interested in this. I have an SSK that does not feel nearly as good as my two full size Ms. This would be a fun thing to try to make it better.

Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 15 October 2018, 22:45:30 »
Any update on this one?

Offline hansichen

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 09:51:05 »
Do you also have plans to source new plates for that build like the original MF gb planned? I'd rather not wanna destroy my current SSK-internals.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 14:55:35 »
Do you also have plans to source new plates for that build like the original MF gb planned? I'd rather not wanna destroy my current SSK-internals.
You don't actually need to destroy anything for this mod. You drill out the plastic rivets and separate the barrel plate, membrane, and back plate. Save the membrane with its attached controller, and the M-flippers. Attach an xwhatsit or CommonSense controller to the FSSK. I think you also need to Dremel off a little bit of plastic on the underside of the barrel plate. Sandwich the backplate, PCB, F-Flippers, and barrel plate. Then screw mod it all back together. Voila.

Offline u

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 22:46:19 »
Hello everyone. Sorry about the late reply. I have been busy with shcool and am currently in the process of moving. I am planning to start the group buy in the next coming weeks.

Regarding new barrel plates, I do not plan on making new ones. Unicomp still sells ssk barrel plates. Maybe you could cut down a model m back plate and use it with the unicomp SSK barrel plate if you do not want to bolt mod your SSK. Other than that, we can only hope for lot_lizard to return and run another group buy.

Offline hansichen

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 03:31:49 »
You don't actually need to destroy anything for this mod. You drill out the plastic rivets and separate the barrel plate, membrane, and back plate. Save the membrane with its attached controller, and the M-flippers. Attach an xwhatsit or CommonSense controller to the FSSK. I think you also need to Dremel off a little bit of plastic on the underside of the barrel plate. Sandwich the backplate, PCB, F-Flippers, and barrel plate. Then screw mod it all back together. Voila.

Drilling out the plastics of a board where less than 5 are known to exist still hurts  :eek:  When looking at the FSSK and FEXT pcbs it looks like the holes for bolt modding are at different positions. So you would probably need a modifed FSSK pcb if you want to use cut down Model M 102 internals or you would end up with a lot of holes in the plate :(

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 08:05:04 »
Drilling out the plastics of a board where less than 5 are known to exist still hurts  :eek: 
I just think of it like a typical Model M screw mod... with benefits!

Of course, if you've never done one before, it would be better to practice on a full size M that's less precious to you first.

Offline u

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 08:21:10 »

Drilling out the plastics of a board where less than 5 are known to exist still hurts  :eek:  When looking at the FSSK and FEXT pcbs it looks like the holes for bolt modding are at different positions. So you would probably need a modifed FSSK pcb if you want to use cut down Model M 102 internals or you would end up with a lot of holes in the plate :(
The reason I am running a buy of PCBs was because the membrane on my ssk was broken. My original plan was to use a fullsize membrane from unicomp and fold the excess in the case, but I was having trouble fitting the rest membrane in the case. The holes of the fullsize membrane lined up with the holes in the plate, though.

Also, what do you mean by saying that less than 5 are known to exist?

Offline hansichen

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 09:05:27 »
Drilling out the plastics of a board where less than 5 are known to exist still hurts  :eek: 
I just think of it like a typical Model M screw mod... with benefits!

Of course, if you've never done one before, it would be better to practice on a full size M that's less precious to you first.

I don't think that I would mess the mod up. It's just not a good feeling to mod something really rare.

The reason I am running a buy of PCBs was because the membrane on my ssk was broken. My original plan was to use a fullsize membrane from unicomp and fold the excess in the case, but I was having trouble fitting the rest membrane in the case. The holes of the fullsize membrane lined up with the holes in the plate, though.

Also, what do you mean by saying that less than 5 are known to exist?

You're right, the FSSK pcb was mirrored on the picture and I didn't notice it. So it should work fine.

I'd plan to modify my indy-ssk to give it a switch upgrade   :D

Offline Vizir

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 12:59:30 »
in for 1

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 17:45:05 »
Are we going to be moving to GB status on this one? Any idea on the timing?

Thanks very much.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 16:15:51 »
Any news/updates on this project?

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 22:39:44 »
Also looking forward to an update, it's been a minute.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!