Author Topic: Apple  (Read 8283 times)

Offline Mercen_505

Apple
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 03 May 2010, 19:32:06 »

This could grow to be one huge ignore list.

It could, but then that would be idiotic. It's just a word. It only has as much meaning as you ascribe to it.

Offline wellington1869

Apple
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 03 May 2010, 20:57:05 »
slashdot: Apple may face antitrust inquiry.

this was inevitable, I think; and probably more to come in the years ahead.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline wellington1869

Apple
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 03 May 2010, 20:59:10 »
Quote from: ricercar;178613
Will argue boot what hardwriting algorithm is bitter then the Uther's.

or whose handwriting is better for handwriting recognition. Or whose voice is better suited for voice recognition. Maybe we'll end up with singing contests.

"I can enunciate at 80 wpm!"
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 May 2010, 21:09:01 by wellington1869 »

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline hyperlinked

Apple
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 03 May 2010, 21:12:43 »
Quote from: wellington1869;178554
i'm inclined to say yes! ;)  Going to the command line is usu seen as having been defeated in some way (among regular users anyway, as opposed to producers/programmers).
Ok. I think you're right in that regard. I forgot that I'm a coder. ;) To the general computing public, the command line doesn't exist.

Regular boards may not vanish entirely, but they might become a 'deprecated' product (like the command line). Used daily not by the general public but by niche producers/programmers, like the command line is)

Regular users might be using a combination of voice recognition, gesture, haptic and multitouch screens, instead.  (btw that endangers the mouse as much as the keyboard)
I think there's only one thing that can possibly render physical keyboards obsolete and that's killer nearly flawless voice recognition, which is a stretch, but probably not beyond question.

Even with killer voice recognition, there are things that will be very impractical to do by voice... like coding. When my hands hurt, I do everything via speech recognition except for coding... can't do that... waaaay to slow. Composing via speech recognition gives my hands enough rest to do what I make money doing.

We're certainly going to see a lot of things going away from keyboards, but a lot of things probably were never right for keyboards in the first place. Keyboards were all we had. Every form of input has its strengths and weaknesses and I think the more touch screens are crowned as the messiah, the more obvious it will be where the weaknesses lie.

isnt there definitely a really strong push in that direction right now? Not just by apple, but by the industry as a whole?
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 May 2010, 21:57:23 by hyperlinked »
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline wellington1869

Apple
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 03 May 2010, 21:26:08 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;178675

I think there's only one thing that can possibly render physical keyboards obsolete and that's killer nearly flawless voice recognition, which is a stretch, but probably not beyond question.

Even with killer voice recognition, there are things that will be very impractical to do by voice... like coding. When my hands hurt, I do everything via speech recognition except for coding... can't do that... waaaay to slow. Composing via speech recognition gives my hands enough rest to do what I make money doing.

"Hello, computer"

>
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385">[/youtube]

I always thought a major hole in this scene was that scottie appears to know how to type 200 wpm despite not having keyboards in his century. (oh, and amazingly, he's intimately familiar with using a macplus :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 May 2010, 21:35:01 by wellington1869 »