Author Topic: QMK for bluepill (STM32F103C8T6)  (Read 19622 times)

Offline fpazos

QMK for bluepill (STM32F103C8T6)
« on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 14:22:34 »
Hi guys!!

I have been working the last months on a QMK version that uses a chinese/generic "bluepill" STM32F103C8T6. Thanks to Xydane (here in GH) who oriented me very well and showed me it's repository, I was able to keep working on it.

That's quite a powerful and cheap microcontroller for a keyboard (around 2$), I made a 70% layout and if someone is interested in creating more layouts, or adding functionanilities is welcome.
Maybe when the QMK pronton-c is finished has a similar firmware (probably better hahahaha) due to it is an ARM microcontroller too.

I made it to be easy to add more layouts and revisions. It has dual color backlight based on layers and capslock light.

I haven't used it on a real keyboard and, pluged into my laptop, somewhere in the top row (printscreen or start) make it hang the computer, but really I'm not very versed on C programming and microcontrollers, it has been everything about error/try.

I hope you enjoy it and improve it/use it.

https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/tree/master/keyboards/handwired/bluepill

Original post from Xydane:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=93537.0;topicseen
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 October 2018, 14:24:29 by fpazos »

Offline DiodeHead

Re: QMK for bluepill (STM32F103C8T6)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 October 2018, 01:15:24 »
Thanks, I also have a blue pill in my current project, so this would be a perfect start for the software side of things :)

Offline upas

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 08 November 2018, 08:38:20 »
So I've been trying to get a blue pill working on my own build - I'm running into some issues and thought maybe you could help.

I have successfuly flashed the stm32dunio bootloader and had it recognized by my computer.
But when I flash the compiled blue pill .bin file from your handwire, it isn't recognized by the computer.

Should I be flashing the hex file? Is that the issue?

And if not, do you have any suggestions?

Offline fpazos

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 08 November 2018, 09:11:16 »
Hi upas!

I'm sorry to say I'm not very helpful about this matter. I used a ftdi serial programmer. If you compare the code with the one at https://github.com/fpazos/qmk_firmware/blob/master/keyboards/chibios_test/stm32_f103_onekey/bootloader_defs.h you will realize that this file don't exists on my version. You should try to add it but unfortunately as I weren't able to use it I didn't keep trying, if you achieve something pull it to the main repository. Thanks!

Offline angelbirth

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 10:34:05 »
So I've been trying to get a blue pill working on my own build - I'm running into some issues and thought maybe you could help.

I have successfuly flashed the stm32dunio bootloader and had it recognized by my computer.
But when I flash the compiled blue pill .bin file from your handwire, it isn't recognized by the computer.

ah, you should try resetting the board (or unplug-replug) after flashing

Sent from my AUM-AL20 using Tapatalk

Offline upas

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 21:02:00 »
Hi upas!

I'm sorry to say I'm not very helpful about this matter. I used a ftdi serial programmer. If you compare the code with the one at https://github.com/fpazos/qmk_firmware/blob/master/keyboards/chibios_test/stm32_f103_onekey/bootloader_defs.h you will realize that this file don't exists on my version. You should try to add it but unfortunately as I weren't able to use it I didn't keep trying, if you achieve something pull it to the main repository. Thanks!

Just wanted to give an update on this matter -  I had the wrong ARM toolchain installed. The default Ubuntu one is wrong! So I downloaded the proper one off of the ARM website itself, and everything was fine.

Offline fpazos

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 02:01:35 »
Just wanted to give an update on this matter -  I had the wrong ARM toolchain installed. The default Ubuntu one is wrong! So I downloaded the proper one off of the ARM website itself, and everything was fine.
Good to know it. Maybe I'll give it a second opportunity as it would be interesting and ARM will be the future of microcontrollers.

Offline angelbirth

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 10 December 2018, 00:49:23 »
Hi upas!

can the toolchain from ppa:team-gcc-arm-embedded be used?

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 06:53:01 »
As a heads up, many of these bluepill boards have an incorrect resistor on R10, which can affect USB connectivity.

https://wiki.stm32duino.com/index.php?title=Blue_Pill#Known_issues

Replacing it with a 0603 size 1.5k resistor seems to resolve the issue.

http://amitesh-singh.github.io/stm32/2017/10/09/correcting-usbpullup-resistor.html

Offline fpazos

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 08:18:22 »
As a heads up, many of these bluepill boards have an incorrect resistor on R10, which can affect USB connectivity.
That's completely true. You can also solve it soldering a 1.8 kΩ between PA12 and 3.3V as I stated in the readme.

Offline leon_titan

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 23:33:11 »
I want to use a STM32 microcontroller for my keyboard, and I wonder that is the chibios is necessary or i can use the qmk firmware  directly?

Offline fpazos

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 02:16:14 »
Chibios is obligatory as it regulates almost everything. It regulates the execution cicles for arm chipsets

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 7 mediante Tapatalk

Offline leon_titan

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 22:36:27 »
I want to build my keyboard with another stm32 microcontroller which is L4 or L4+ series. so where should I start with to change the code?

Do you have qq or wechat? so we can communicate more efficiently.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 January 2020, 22:38:56 by leon_titan »

Offline fpazos

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 00:38:53 »
Sorry. I haven't.
You should start changing the I/O and the chipset description and see if it works. I'm not too proficiency at electronics but I think it should work with these changes the same code as it can compile to different chipsets

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 7 mediante Tapatalk

Offline dlyi

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 04:26:22 »
Hi guys,
I am a newcomer for QMK for bluepill(STM32F103). Recently we will kick off a QMK keyboard project using STM32F103. Is there any keyboard using the same MCU with QMK I can purchase for further study and tests?
Many thanks for any reply.

Offline Ozol

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 00:06:42 »

I faced the same problem yesterday, you can check the .hex file in the .build folder.

Though it may be too late, I still wanna get this problem solved.