Author Topic: Two refurb'd 1st-gen terminal Model M's  (Read 3049 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Two refurb'd 1st-gen terminal Model M's
« on: Wed, 12 December 2018, 18:18:00 »
Qty-2 IBM 3196 / 3197 Keyboards Refurbished & Guaranteed Working

"Professionally Refurbished and Guaranteed working", $99.00 OBO + free shipping (continental US)

Not everyone will be interested in these. You'd need a convertor for these here right-angle DINs:

But otherwise, consider that if the seller accepted an offer of, say, $70, you'd get two (presumably) like-new, heavy-plate 1st-generation Model M's (comparable to p/n 1390131) for $35 each, delivered. That's not bad.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 December 2018, 18:20:44 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Two refurb'd 1st-gen terminal Model M's
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 12 December 2018, 20:03:08 »
208810-0

208812-1

:confused:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 December 2018, 20:31:09 »
Well, I did specifically say "free shipping (continental US)".

But that's good, right, shipping two Model M's all the way to OZ for $20-something? Wouldn't it normally be several times that? Maybe that was your point. You can be cryptic sometimes, mate, like your avatar.

We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 December 2018, 20:24:21 »
Well, I did specifically say "free shipping (continental US)".

But that's good, right, shipping two Model M's all the way to OZ for $20-something? Wouldn't it normally be several times that? Maybe that was your point. You can be cryptic sometimes, mate, like your avatar.

Yes, normally postage would be at least 4 times that, usually more like 10 times that.

It is suspiciously cheap.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 00:15:56 »
Yes, normally postage would be at least 4 times that, usually more like 10 times that... It is suspiciously cheap.

Sometimes shipping just comes up cheap, dunno why. Maybe the seller didn't bother actually weighing them—or maybe, thinking PC keyboards all weighed about the same, they just grabbed the nearest one (likely a flimsy membrane) and weighed that.

Like I mentioned, US shipping's free—that's even cheaper.  :?)

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 01:14:12 »
The other thing that comes to mind specially when I see free shipping. I think the person is either factoring in the cost of shipping to the product or more likely they have a business account. Ship enough products and shipping company is happy to give a STEEP discount on products.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 21 December 2018, 05:19:16 »
The other thing that comes to mind specially when I see free shipping. I think the person is either factoring in the cost of shipping to the product or more likely they have a business account. Ship enough products and shipping company is happy to give a STEEP discount on products.

Or they're just in for a rude surprise when they discover that, no, there isn't a special super-cheap Vintage Keyboard rate.