Author Topic: can you please help me set up my cable?  (Read 1563 times)

Offline zebraman

can you please help me set up my cable?
« on: Mon, 10 May 2010, 20:50:59 »
I am completely technologically illiterate and cannot for the life of me, figure out how to connect my TV to my cable box.

I just had Comcast installed, but didn't have them set it up with the TV because I didn't yet have one. So now that I have a TV, I am trying to attach it to the cable box.

Attached are some ****ty webcam photos of the back of the cable box and the back of the TV.

Anyone willing to lend me a hand? I'm guessing I have all the necessary cords/cables already, or that everything I need came with the Comcast setup... right?

The TV is a 24 inch Vizio, and the cable box is Motorola.

Offline pfink

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 May 2010, 21:12:29 »
Quote from: zebraman;180856
I am completely technologically illiterate and cannot for the life of me, figure out how to connect my TV to my cable box.

I just had Comcast installed, but didn't have them set it up with the TV because I didn't yet have one. So now that I have a TV, I am trying to attach it to the cable box.

Attached are some ****ty webcam photos of the back of the cable box and the back of the TV.

Anyone willing to lend me a hand? I'm guessing I have all the necessary cords/cables already, or that everything I need came with the Comcast setup... right?

The TV is a 24 inch Vizio, and the cable box is Motorola.

Try this: run a coax cable from the wall to the coax connector on cable box labeled "Cable In" or "To Wall" or similar. Run the red/white/yellow composite cable from the red/white/yellow jacks on the cable box to the red/white/yellow jacks on the TV. Press the "Input Select" button on the TV remote and pick "Composite". Use the cable remote to change channels.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 May 2010, 21:20:24 »
Do you have HDMI inputs on your TV and cable box.  That is the easiest way to connect for HD TV.   One cable.   Great prices on cable over at monoprice.com  

I can't tell from your pics whether there is an HDMI on your cable box?

Offline pfink

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 May 2010, 21:56:43 »
Quote from: skcheng;180860
Do you have HDMI inputs on your TV and cable box.  That is the easiest way to connect for HD TV.   One cable.   Great prices on cable over at monoprice.com  

I can't tell from your pics whether there is an HDMI on your cable box?

It doesn't look like there's an HDMI out on that cable box. I only see coax and composite.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 11 May 2010, 07:38:14 »
Quote from: pfink;180868
It doesn't look like there's an HDMI out on that cable box. I only see coax and composite.

I would seriously have Comcast give you an HD box.  HDMI is much easier to connect, and it has both sound and video.  I think you would be doing yourself a favor.  I would let you see my setup, but I don't want to contribute to another member's suicide.