Author Topic: [IC] Galaxy Class: Star Trek TNG keyset/artisan by Roddenberry Entertainment  (Read 69931 times)

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: [IC] Galaxy Class: Star Trek TNG keyset/artisan by Roddenberry Entertainment
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 10:58:47 »
I had my original set delivered on Nov 29th 2015... Might have to get it again as it was my first :p

Offline graefeln

Re: [IC] Galaxy Class: Star Trek TNG keyset/artisan by Roddenberry Entertainment
« Reply #201 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 11:01:20 »
How does the 150 MOQ work - is it 150 per set or if 150 core are sold, will num/alternate be made even if they fall under? Also, I noticed there no non-bumped F and J included with alternate; is it something that was left out of the render or are those using Dvorak/Colemak going to be using four homing keys?

oh well, thats 250$ gone at the end of the month... steep price for DSA, but I guess that's the included mark-up for roddenberry? still, won't stop me from getting it ;) (they know the fans will just get it)

norbauer actually said the markup is pretty much non-existent (they raised Core by 10$ just to make a profit; otherwise, they were losing money).

Offline avid

« Reply #202 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 11:01:41 »
Holy crap, the tested video was awesoome! Only thing missing was george takei building it.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #203 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 11:04:04 »
There is an issue with the key layout image.

For the alternate kits, it says the off-center caps lock is 1.25u (should be 1.75).

I presume the ISO enter is DCS?

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #204 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 11:06:24 »
It's live!

https://shop.roddenberry.com/products/galaxy-class-keyset

I'm going to go work on creating a proper GB thread now. :)

damn, for how long? (will I have time till end of november?) I really need v.2 in my collection

edit: I just saw 29days remaining. Thank Q!

Yes indeed! Runs to the end of the month.

Am I crazy or are some of the legends and icons on the numpad grayed out in the options images?

Yes, I opted to go with gray for the numpad nav wheel graphics. It is subtler than the black, which can look a bit clunky compared to the minimally sized other legends, and also makes any slight dyesub mis-registration less noticeable.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #205 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 11:08:00 »
There is an issue with the key layout image.
For the alternate kits, it says the off-center caps lock is 1.25u (should be 1.75).

Oh, thanks! I'll fix that.

Why do you say that? I have an unprinted sample SP sent me and it appears to be normal DSA like all the rest.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #206 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 11:10:09 »

Why do you say that? I have an unprinted sample SP sent me and it appears to be normal DSA like all the rest.

Oh maybe I haven't paid attention recently but older DSA sets always used DCS ISO since DSA didn't exist. Do you have a picture?

Offline avid

« Reply #207 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 11:10:52 »

I posted this in the "[IC] Enchanting Doublefeature - DSA Arcane and DSA Plague"
when i asked for ISO support:
"What? Are you saying DSA enter dont exists? DSA Run (candykeys) have a iso enter for example."

and response from Oblotzky
"Correct, all DSA sets with ISO return keys have used the mold from DCS. It doesn't quite fit since DCS is cylindrical while DSA is spherical, also different thickness."

Offline norbauer

« Reply #208 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 11:12:56 »
How does the 150 MOQ work - is it 150 per set or if 150 core are sold, will num/alternate be made even if they fall under? Also, I noticed there no non-bumped F and J included with alternate; is it something that was left out of the render or are those using Dvorak/Colemak going to be using four homing keys?

oh well, thats 250$ gone at the end of the month... steep price for DSA, but I guess that's the included mark-up for roddenberry? still, won't stop me from getting it ;) (they know the fans will just get it)

norbauer actually said the markup is pretty much non-existent (they raised Core by 10$ just to make a profit; otherwise, they were losing money).

A surprising amount of the extra cost goes into that fancy box. :O FWIW, this project is way, way, way less than Roddenberry.com normally prefers to get on stuff they sell in order to cover their overhead, but they wanted to do this project anyway just because it seems like such a fun way to do something for two overlapping fan communities. Seriously, the guys there are awesome.  :thumb:

Offline norbauer

« Reply #209 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 11:14:11 »

I posted this in the "[IC] Enchanting Doublefeature - DSA Arcane and DSA Plague"
when i asked for ISO support:
"What? Are you saying DSA enter dont exists? DSA Run (candykeys) have a iso enter for example."

and response from Oblotzky
"Correct, all DSA sets with ISO return keys have used the mold from DCS. It doesn't quite fit since DCS is cylindrical while DSA is spherical, also different thickness."

Interesting. I shall try to excavate the sample they sent me and post a pic when I get a chance.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #210 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 11:18:02 »
Anybody thinking of picking up a set, incidentally, it would be awesome if you could order earlier rather than later to help show a bit of momentum for the group buy. I sincerely hope we're able to hit the MOQ. :S

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
[IC] Galaxy Class: Star Trek TNG keyset/artisan by Roddenberry Entertainment
« Reply #211 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 11:20:53 »
Anybody thinking of picking up a set, incidentally, it would be awesome if you could order earlier rather than later to help show a bit of momentum for the group buy. I sincerely hope we're able to hit the MOQ. :S

Haven't ordered yet since I'm waiting for payday at the end of the month. (Or will money only be charged at the end of the GB? If so I'll pop in my order now.)

Offline avid

« Reply #212 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 11:21:32 »
Even if enter might be a DCS mold, ISO users still prefer that rather then being without, since its a rather minor difference between dcs,dsa.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #213 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 11:25:20 »

Anything purchased counts towards the MOQ. This is sort of a workaround for the limitations of the GB plugin they're using on Shopify, but it should work out, since it's really sales of the Core set that matter most in terms of our MOQs (again, driven more by the box factory than Signature Plastics).

Any inclusions or non-inclusions in the Alternates set were just a compromise between trying to please as many people as possible and not overloading the set with too many keys, since we could only do one extra set. But, honestly, I took my cues from livingspeedbump on that set, since I don't know too much about alternates (being a boring TKL guy myself). If you think it might have been an error, I can look into it.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #214 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 11:26:40 »

Haven't ordered yet since I'm waiting for payday at the end of the month. (Or will money only be charged at the end of the GB? If so I'll pop in my order now.)

Again due entirely to limitations with how Shopify works, they have to charge immediately and just refund at the end of the month if MOQ isn't hit.

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #215 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 11:50:22 »
/r/startrek needs this

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #216 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 11:51:27 »
/r/startrek needs this
Definitely

Sent from my DREA100 using Tapatalk

Offline norbauer

« Reply #217 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 11:52:13 »
/r/startrek needs this

hehe. Please feel free to post this far and wide. I'm not super plugged into the social internet, so I can leave that to you guys. ;)

Offline graefeln

« Reply #218 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 11:59:00 »
/r/startrek needs this

hehe. Please feel free to post this far and wide. I'm not super plugged into the social internet, so I can leave that to you guys. ;)

I posted it to /r/mk earlier - right after I ordered my set!

Offline snarfel

« Reply #219 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 12:14:43 »
Shame the alts aren't ErgoDox friendly as I would love to get my geek on at work since I work at a major tech company, but I'm more than happy to get a full set + artisan for my gaming board back home.  :cool:

And thinking about it, I don't know if you can get a color layout that would make you think LCARS as much on an ErgoDox to begin with, but I'm a mk newbie.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 November 2017, 12:25:23 by snarfel »

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #220 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 12:14:44 »
Also, may want to remove the survey link in the first post and get a link to the actual buy in the first post, or is there an actual GB post (didnt look yet)?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #221 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 12:21:11 »
Also, may want to remove the survey link in the first post and get a link to the actual buy in the first post, or is there an actual GB post (didnt look yet)?

Good thinking. Done. :)

Offline snarfel

« Reply #222 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 12:30:12 »
"keyboard with a housing machined from solid aluminum" on store page links to an access denied Evernote page.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #223 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 12:31:23 »
"keyboard with a housing machined from solid aluminum" on store page links to an access denied Evernote page.

I've got them working on fixing that. We clearly scrambled a bit to get the page up in time for the Tested video.  :))

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #224 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 13:06:28 »
Since the artisan is an individual add-on, am I correct in assuming I can purchase it by itself? I kind of wish it was the Voyager, but I'm sure the Enterprise D satisfies more Star Trek fans. The set looks lovely, but unfortunately, I don't like the typing experience on DSA profile.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #225 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 13:48:46 »
Since the artisan is an individual add-on, am I correct in assuming I can purchase it by itself? I kind of wish it was the Voyager, but I'm sure the Enterprise D satisfies more Star Trek fans. The set looks lovely, but unfortunately, I don't like the typing experience on DSA profile.

Yes, you can absolutely get the artisan by itself! If the artisan proves popular, maybe they'll consider doing a Voyager one too. :)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #226 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 13:51:05 »
The group buy thread is now up, so I'll go ahead and lock this thread and we can move the discussion over there (to avoid confusion).