Author Topic: IBM 5155 Model F cable  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Wazrach

• Buckling Spring Fanatic
IBM 5155 Model F cable
« on: Sun, 13 January 2019, 04:03:17 »
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about getting the 5155 Model F keyboard, and I want to know how I can use my XT/AT Soarer's converter with it. Chyros said all you need to do is wire up an adapter from the funny phone jack to XT, but where do I even start with that? I know the 5155 originally came with this adapter for use on other PCs, but how do I get my hands on one? Thanks.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: IBM 5155 Model F cable
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 13 January 2019, 09:24:34 »

wire up an adapter from the funny phone jack to XT

If you can decipher the pinout, you can probably make one from basic ethernet gear.

Otherwise, Orihalcon sells them premade.
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 January 2019, 09:27:18 by fohat.digs »
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline mxgian99

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 13:41:24 »
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about getting the 5155 Model F keyboard, and I want to know how I can use my XT/AT Soarer's converter with it. Chyros said all you need to do is wire up an adapter from the funny phone jack to XT, but where do I even start with that? I know the 5155 originally came with this adapter for use on other PCs, but how do I get my hands on one? Thanks.

you should start here, this is instructions for building an internal converter, which would be the easiest route to convert this.  i've not converted this particular model but other model f's ive seen are similar on the inside (including the one i converted)
https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19035&start=

if you want to keep the existing phone jack, you would need to get a female jack and splice into the right wires, it's not impossible but would require a little more work.  if you cannot find a female plug you could also cut the xisting cable to expose the 4 wires you needed access to. 

the internal converter is completely reversible so if you do that you could always reverse it if you wanted to sell the board later.

if you ask over on deskthority, there is a decent group there that convert these boards.  i like mine, though the layout is a little too wierd to use daily....

Offline Wazrach

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 14:01:47 »
Hi guys,

you should start here, this is instructions for building an internal converter, which would be the easiest route to convert this.  i've not converted this particular model but other model f's ive seen are similar on the inside (including the one i converted)
https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19035&start=

if you want to keep the existing phone jack, you would need to get a female jack and splice into the right wires, it's not impossible but would require a little more work.  if you cannot find a female plug you could also cut the xisting cable to expose the 4 wires you needed access to. 

the internal converter is completely reversible so if you do that you could always reverse it if you wanted to sell the board later.

if you ask over on deskthority, there is a decent group there that convert these boards.  i like mine, though the layout is a little too wierd to use daily....

Thanks for the replies!

I know absolutely nothing about cutting into wires or making converters - I'm a complete newbie when it comes to that. I'm quite happy to use external converters, as I get to keep the impressive cable and use the keyboard - which is all I want, really. I was just hoping I could find the original adapter included with the IBM 5155, like Chyros mentioned. I've looked everywhere on Ebay, and it doesn't look like any are available. I really love the look of the 5155 Model F, so it would be a shame if I couldn't just use it with my Soarer's converter if I bought the keyboard. Eyeing one up on Ebay right now.

Offline Wazrach

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 14:04:02 »

wire up an adapter from the funny phone jack to XT

If you can decipher the pinout, you can probably make one from basic ethernet gear.

Otherwise, Orihalcon sells them premade.

Someone sent me the pinout on DT, but it's completely alien to me. I have no idea what I am looking at, and wouldn't know where to start when it comes to this sort of thing. I'd be interested in buying a converter from Orihalcon if he definitely sells RJ11-XT adapters? (I assume RJ11-USB would be more expensive)

Offline mxgian99

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 14:27:22 »
so you would need to check with orihalcon to see if they can make a custom one.  everything before the phone jack should be the same as other XTs so the only custom part would be the adapter to plug in the phone jack side.

also ask around in your local community, someone nearby may be able to help you--i would if you were near me.  the internal converters can be made quite cheap and easily (i made mine in under an hour for less than $10), making one that preserves the existing cable would take a little more time/customization and parts. 

another option if orihalcon cannot make a custom adapter is to swap your phone cable with a standard XT din cable, then you can get a more standard converter.  OR to make a converter that goes from phone cable -> male DIN cable so you can then use a standard din-xt converter
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 January 2019, 14:29:07 by mxgian99 »

Offline Wazrach

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 14:34:43 »
so you would need to check with orihalcon to see if they can make a custom one.  everything before the phone jack should be the same as other XTs so the only custom part would be the adapter to plug in the phone jack side.

also ask around in your local community, someone nearby may be able to help you--i would if you were near me.  the internal converters can be made quite cheap and easily (i made mine in under an hour for less than $10), making one that preserves the existing cable would take a little more time/customization and parts. 

another option if orihalcon cannot make a custom adapter is to swap your phone cable with a standard XT din cable, then you can get a more standard converter.

I appreciate that, it would be nice if more members of the keyboard community were near me. Seems everyone and everything keyboard-related is in the US. :(

I'd probably have a go at making one if it doesn't take that long. I'm sure it would boost my knowledge. :P I would like to be able to use it before I do that though, so I can take as long as I want making this converter without NEEDING it.

I was definitely considering simply swapping the RJ11 cable with the an XT cable, since it's the same protocol, but isn't the RJ11 cable stuck to the controller? I'm sure someone else mentioned this. It's hard to tell, as there aren't many pictures of the inside of the keyboard.

Offline mxgian99

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 15:29:07 »
i have not seen the insides of every version of this keyboard, so your first step would be to open it up and see if you have the same blue connecter.  its the top two pictures here.   https://deskthority.net/download/file.php?id=47237&sid=88afce03798bb66ef7e6811218f09628

if its the same then  you could swap the cables, open yours up--there are 2 bolts but be very careful lifting the cover as the internals are not secured so they can fall out!  and then we can help. 

if you want to try it yourself i suggest posting at deskthority as there is more of an active community there restoring these.  do not fear about building it, the parts are very cheap (less than $10), so even if you fail, it's a low cost lesson.  but if you follow the instructions its very straightforward to build. 

if it were me i would make an internal converter and save the cable conversion for alter when you are able to source the correct parts or better understand the wiring. 

Offline Wazrach

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 16:32:42 »
Thanks again for the detailed reply! I must say, I'm certainly not a newbie when it comes to the Model F - I've had five XTs, and done a fair bit of disassembling. The only thing I don't understand is the electrical stuff, or how to get them feeling optimal once they've been opened. I've messed up a few, because they feel terrible after opening them or replacing the foam mat. :/

But if the 5155 Model F cable can be unclipped from the controller like the PC equivalent, I'll switch around the cables and call it a day! I think I'll nab that clean one off Ebay, as soon as I can afford it. If not, I'll work on an external converter and refer to this thread! Cheers for the advice, guys.

I am only tempted to get the 5155 keyboard because it looks nicer than the XT and will sound better (due to the plastic chassis).

Offline mxgian99

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 16:39:02 »
hi, i should've searched before posting, but looks like someone has already converted these :)

https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7644&start=

Offline Wazrach

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 16:42:07 »
hi, i should've searched before posting, but looks like someone has already converted these :)

https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7644&start=

Thanks for linking that! Looks like I should just be able to unclip the cable then! Brilliant. :)