Author Topic: Bootleg: 60% non-traymount MX/SMK/Alps pcb with flex.  (Read 2026 times)

Offline Applet

Bootleg: 60% non-traymount MX/SMK/Alps pcb with flex.
« on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 07:37:36 »
Intro:
So, I have a keyboard-project on the way that needed a PCB. I wanted to do a flexy build using Alps and SMK (going to use POM-plates) with split space and could not find many alternatives, and thus bootleg was born. I also made a Cherry MX version for friends.

Alps-version is intended for use with AEK-keycaps. Split space using two 2.75 shift keys. SMK and MX has the usual Cherry-keycap support.

I thought I'd share it, project is open sourced, designed in Altium. I will provide gerbers and BOM if anyone wants to order a few. I also have a few extras of the prototypes if someone is very interested.

Status of the project:
I have made prototypes, rev A is missing the daughter board connector, but is more or less the same. Waiting for case for test fit (HEX3C). Current software is only in my private branch of QMK, but there is no special features, so it should be easy to get added to main repo.

Specs:
  • QMK-support
  • ATmega32U2 (both QFN and QFP)
  • ESD-protection
  • Polyfuse
  • USB-C
Layout support Alps:
244217-0

Renders of PCB Alps:
244219-1
244221-2

Layout support SMK:
244223-3

Renders of PCB SMK:
244225-4
244227-5

Layout support MX:
244229-6

Renders of PCB MX:
244231-7
244233-8

Github-repo:
bootlegs: https://github.com/4pplet/bootlegs
QMK: https://github.com/4pplet/qmk_firmware
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 June 2020, 07:55:06 by Applet »

Offline piit79

Re: Bootleg: 60% non-traymount MX/SMK/Alps pcb with flex.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 07:47:00 »
Great job! And kudos for open-sourcing the design. That's awesome.

Can I just ask, how did you come to use Altium? As far as I can see, it costs a fortune - perpetual license is 5395 EUR, and that's some kind of limited time offer...

Offline Applet

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 07:51:36 »
Great job! And kudos for open-sourcing the design. That's awesome.

Can I just ask, how did you come to use Altium? As far as I can see, it costs a fortune - perpetual license is 5395 EUR, and that's some kind of limited time offer...
Well, I have come in contact with Altium a lot through university studies and work. I understand that Altium is not the most suitable software for open source-projects, but I mainly do these for my own use, and Altium is my prefered tool. I may start using KiCad for community projects in the future.

Offline Applet

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 08:07:00 »
accidental double post