Author Topic: 65% Keyboard Design with 5 Key Macro area  (Read 3195 times)

Offline Okey

65% Keyboard Design with 5 Key Macro area
« on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 05:54:57 »
Hello every one. Like most others i found this community a little while ago and was hooked. I love designing my own stuff and wanted to do the same with keyboards. I call this the Okey! I live in Okinawa or Oki, so thought the name was fitting. My bad Dad jokes always seem to find there way to my mind. What do you guys think? I made a Pcb for the design as well, so if there is interest i could go further with the design. Do yall prefer right, left or middle USB ports? my boards are all right. I would love some criticism either way. Have a good day :D

Update 1! - I added removable blockers, that way you can switch from top right, bottom 2, or neither. Still want to add more options for split space bar and bottom row keys. More to come. ( Tired and need sleep)
Update 2 - Added Split Keyboard, ISO Enter, and other layout options to plate.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 June 2020, 06:29:18 by Okey »

Offline jjoejimmy

Re: 65% Keyboard Design with 5 Key Macro area
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 18:04:52 »
I personally don't like the 2u blocker like the one done on Think6.5, but besides that, the design looks clean.
Here are a few errors that I can see

1. From the back image, there are two bumps on the side of the bottom piece that would make this impossible to machine. I think you'll see it if you look a bit closer at the bottom half of the case
2. Its possible that I'm just seeing things wrong, but the usb port is way too high. The PCB should be 5mm(or something around there?) below the plate. From the images, it looks like its 2-3mm below the plate. Make sure those measurements are correct. That will also affect the overall height of the bottom piece

Looking forward to further developments on this project!

Offline Okey

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 18:35:16 »
I personally don't like the 2u blocker like the one done on Think6.5, but besides that, the design looks clean.
Here are a few errors that I can see

1. From the back image, there are two bumps on the side of the bottom piece that would make this impossible to machine. I think you'll see it if you look a bit closer at the bottom half of the case
2. Its possible that I'm just seeing things wrong, but the usb port is way too high. The PCB should be 5mm(or something around there?) below the plate. From the images, it looks like its 2-3mm below the plate. Make sure those measurements are correct. That will also affect the overall height of the bottom piece

Looking forward to further developments on this project!

1.I need to get on my other computer to look at the bottom half closely. Thank you for bring my attention to it.
2. The pcb is 5mm from the top of the plate. so subtract 1.5 for the plate thickness. I will double check me measurements as well. If you noticed it i might have gaffed it.
3. A couple people seem to not like the 2u blocker. What i might do is make a blocker mount system. allowing you to put a 2u/1u blocker or not have one at all. I might do so for the macro side as well, allowing removable plates instead of the macros. Allowing for some more modularity.

I am also redesigning the plate and bottom blocker to allow for more layouts. 

Will update when next design is made.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 June 2020, 18:38:15 by Okey »

Offline Okey

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 June 2020, 16:59:21 »
Update 1: added different blocker option 6/13