Author Topic: loose metal key cap  (Read 1430 times)

Offline SpecTP

loose metal key cap
« on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 12:19:39 »
some folks on the MD buy for the gold zinc key caps reported loose key stems.  I have a similar issue with my iron man key cap.  It's not gripping very well.  How do you guys fix this?  I tried scrimping the stems but that seems a poor idea since it may break if done too hard.  Any ideas?

Offline divito

Re: loose metal key cap
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 12:25:32 »
This probably would have been better off in the Simple Questions thread.

However, to answer your question, the most common suggestion I've seen is to use something to fill the space, such as a small piece of paper or piece of plastic from a Ziploc bag or other type of plastic bag.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 12:58:10 »
This probably would have been better off in the Simple Questions thread.

However, to answer your question, the most common suggestion I've seen is to use something to fill the space, such as a small piece of paper or piece of plastic from a Ziploc bag or other type of plastic bag.

I can confirm this works, at least for costar stab inserts.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 01:13:31 »
Shrinkage, the main problem with metal strikes again.   You can always try some paper, saran wrap, painting the stem with acrylic, or any number of stopgap solutions to make the fitment tighter.

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 12:48:18 »
I tried a small piece of paper and saran wrap.  It didn't help.  Will try the other suggestions.

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 13:17:01 »
I tried a small piece of paper and saran wrap.  It didn't help.  Will try the other suggestions.

I have an MKC zinc escape keycap, and the fit was really bad on it. It was so loose that if I lifted my board up it would just fall right off. What I did was take a small piece of paper (maybe one inch by one inch?) and folded it three or four times and tore it until it was the right size to fit over the MX stem, placed it on top of the switch, and pressed down on the keycap until it went on. Now it's on there nice and solid. It took quite a bit of pushing to get it on the stem, but it comes off no problem. Perhaps your paper wasn't thick enough?

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)