Author Topic: [IC] Noxary Evija - HHKB Reimagined - Preorder Open!  (Read 24906 times)

Offline Vigrith

Re: [IC] Noxary Evija - HHKB Reimagined - Typing Test Posted
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 22:22:47 »
I had a few people request a typing test on a deskmat, as that's how most people will use it - take a listen :thumb:

That sounds way better than I'd have thought it might considering the enclosure and design - good work.

Offline btctopre

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 23:14:15 »
pc crashed while writing original reply, so just going to speedrun this one-
Thanks for the info, it's possible to change the base piece to have two sets of mounting points - both for Pro 1 and Pro 2. I think the trade off might not be worth it though, I doubt people would choose a Pro 1 over a Pro 2 to donate parts for Evija.

I opened up my Classic today and it's very different to Pro 2. It'd be possible to have both work in one design, but like the Pro 1 vs Pro 2, the Pro 2 would be the more likely donor due to price and the additional functionality it offers.
so i watched the evija assembly video and noticed that the plate had a cut-out for a capacitor on the main pcb, and it reminded me that the components on the main pcb of the pro 1 are different than the pro 2 as well (both on the bottom and top of pcb, with the notable "big green chip" on top of the pro1). so there may be further compatibility issues with the bottom of the case, as well as with the plate, making it even less worth your while (and likely more expensive) to offer a pro 1-compatible evija.

in terms of offering the classic-compatible evija, it's just one of those things where offering it means you can future proof the case so it doesn't turn into a 356CL situation ($10 ps2 to usb adapter attached to $10,000 keyboard). usb-c has a lot of potential, and so we might be seeing custom classic controllers that offer things like internal full bandwidth m2 ports, or maybe even the ability to turn your keyboard into a mobile battery pack that can fast charge devices on the go, and that could give more reason to want a classic pcb + custom classic daughterboard in an evija case. i don't think there's anything holding anyone back from offering the same level of type-c compatibility with a custom pro 2 daughterboard though (just the general cost/availability/licensing for things like tb controllers, and the obvious lack of usb-c cutout on pro 2 case), so might be that it gets the engineering love and not the classic.

downside is that the classic supposedly has qc issues, so who knows how long this iteration will last. i also feel like the faraday60 has more potential than the classic (and i believe it's being designed with the pro2 case in mind, so it'd likely work with the current evija), so it may become a big player in the custom topre hhkb space.

obviously you could just wait and see how things with the classic play out though, and then maybe do a run for it specifically down the road so that you aren't effectively wasting production time on it now (i'm of the mind that if the ****ty red massdrop brick could get more than 40 backers 4 years ago, your 40-case drop is going to be devoured in 2020).

I had a few people request a typing test on a deskmat, as that's how most people will use it - take a listen :thumb:
definitely a crisper sound, but i personally can't stand the stock hhkb sound, so hopefully you/one of the HG owners are able to get us a proper type-s typing video at some point :thumb: you did miss out on an easy opportunity to compare the evija sound with the plastic hhkb sitting directly above it though  :p

here's one more question on sound (and it's one of those things where once you hear it, you can't unhear it, so i'll spoiler to keep you from reading something you might not want to be aware of if you're noise-conscious)-
so each key press has its own sound profile on the hhkb (and unfortunately a very silenced board isn't immune to this problem either), and my guess how the profile is determined is that the closer to the edge the key, the "worse" the key sounds (making the esc and backspace keys the worst-sounding 1u keys by far). with the change in case material and mounting method, maybe that changes though, so i'm curious to hear if you're able to notice a difference in sound when typing on the 'a' key compared to the 'g' key.

i assume this affects all keyboards (seems like an acoustic property thing), but i haven't really owned any board other than a hhkb in 5+ years, so i figured i'd ask.

Offline x9Memoriez

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 10 July 2020, 01:14:14 »
Any chance for a green or maybe red evija?
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 July 2020, 01:18:40 by x9Memoriez »
Matrix 1.2OG | Constellation | Rukia | TMO50 | HHKB

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 10 July 2020, 08:58:38 »
Sorry if it was already mentioned and I missed it but could this be used with something like Hasu's USB-C PCB? Or is the USB port on this going to be too small like the stock HHKB case? I'm on the fence about this given the total cost involved but if I'm stuck with the stock non-programmable PCB and a USB-mini connector then it's definitely way too expensive for me.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 10 July 2020, 23:11:12 »
so i watched the evija assembly video and noticed that the plate had a cut-out for a capacitor on the main pcb, and it reminded me that the components on the main pcb of the pro 1 are different than the pro 2 as well (both on the bottom and top of pcb, with the notable "big green chip" on top of the pro1). so there may be further compatibility issues with the bottom of the case, as well as with the plate, making it even less worth your while (and likely more expensive) to offer a pro 1-compatible evija.

in terms of offering the classic-compatible evija, it's just one of those things where offering it means you can future proof the case so it doesn't turn into a 356CL situation ($10 ps2 to usb adapter attached to $10,000 keyboard). usb-c has a lot of potential, and so we might be seeing custom classic controllers that offer things like internal full bandwidth m2 ports, or maybe even the ability to turn your keyboard into a mobile battery pack that can fast charge devices on the go, and that could give more reason to want a classic pcb + custom classic daughterboard in an evija case. i don't think there's anything holding anyone back from offering the same level of type-c compatibility with a custom pro 2 daughterboard though (just the general cost/availability/licensing for things like tb controllers, and the obvious lack of usb-c cutout on pro 2 case), so might be that it gets the engineering love and not the classic.

downside is that the classic supposedly has qc issues, so who knows how long this iteration will last. i also feel like the faraday60 has more potential than the classic (and i believe it's being designed with the pro2 case in mind, so it'd likely work with the current evija), so it may become a big player in the custom topre hhkb space.

obviously you could just wait and see how things with the classic play out though, and then maybe do a run for it specifically down the road so that you aren't effectively wasting production time on it now (i'm of the mind that if the ****ty red massdrop brick could get more than 40 backers 4 years ago, your 40-case drop is going to be devoured in 2020).

Ah yes I noticed the large chip too - it might be short enough not to present an issue but hard to tell.

I'm going to see how much modification is needed to make the Classic compatible with this version of Evija, but after the initial look at the internals, I think it'd be tricky without compromise.

What are the QC issues with the Classic? I didn't notice anything initially but I haven't given it too much desk time as I'm still pissed at UK customs for destroying the front trying to get into it.

I've been speaking to Gondolindrim about Faraday60 - it definitely has more potential than a daughterboard swap. There's still a bunch of development work to go, but as long as it stays true to the Pro 2 dimensions, I'd love to get one into an Evija.

My first impressions were that a separate design for the Classic would be optimal - there would be too many compromises on each side. Same as trying to fit a Realforce R2 into XRF (designed for R1), there's no need for the large forehead and I think R2 deserves its own version.

here's one more question on sound (and it's one of those things where once you hear it, you can't unhear it, so i'll spoiler to keep you from reading something you might not want to be aware of if you're noise-conscious)-
so each key press has its own sound profile on the hhkb (and unfortunately a very silenced board isn't immune to this problem either), and my guess how the profile is determined is that the closer to the edge the key, the "worse" the key sounds (making the esc and backspace keys the worst-sounding 1u keys by far). with the change in case material and mounting method, maybe that changes though, so i'm curious to hear if you're able to notice a difference in sound when typing on the 'a' key compared to the 'g' key.

i assume this affects all keyboards (seems like an acoustic property thing), but i haven't really owned any board other than a hhkb in 5+ years, so i figured i'd ask.

Regarding sound variance over keys, it's absolutely a thing on all keyboards (I doubt any A and G key sound identical on any keyboard). Designing for a certain sound profile is still very much unknown. There are a lot of people, including myself, doing what we think works based on previous experiences. However it's basically a mystery needing a lot investment to test individual element changes between 2 cases.

Any chance for a green or maybe red evija?

If this round is successful, those are both likely colors. So yes, high chance, but only for R2.

Sorry if it was already mentioned and I missed it but could this be used with something like Hasu's USB-C PCB? Or is the USB port on this going to be too small like the stock HHKB case? I'm on the fence about this given the total cost involved but if I'm stuck with the stock non-programmable PCB and a USB-mini connector then it's definitely way too expensive for me.

Here is a case with the Hasu USB-C PCB installed, thanks to Lormanic in my server for the picture and info.

I will most likely make the port cutout slightly wider so it looks a bit better with the Hasu USB-C PCB installed. In the process of acquiring one right now so I can take some measurements and make sure it's a natural fit.

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 13:03:49 »
I wouldn't be able to build it with only a hhkb? I would also need a realforce?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: [IC] Noxary Evija - HHKB Reimagined - Preorder Opens July 31st
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 19:20:45 »
Evija will start on July 31st @ 1PM EDT. You can find the preorder page here: https://noxary.co/products/evija

Offline Aerizu

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 21:25:17 »
Evija will start on July 31st @ 1PM EDT. You can find the preorder page here: https://noxary.co/products/evija

What happened to the other case colors? I remember seeing pink, but now it's no longer being offered.

Offline Knocking

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 21:42:35 »
Yeah, I was really interested in getting a Pink board :(

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 23:32:22 »

What happened to the other case colors? I remember seeing pink, but now it's no longer being offered.

before the OP edit, there were 4 potential colours, but with the disclaimer that a max of 3 colours would be offered. looks like pink lost out unfortunately

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 16:02:45 »

Yeah, I was really interested in getting a Pink board :(

As nmur noted, I was only planning 3 colors. Splitting 40 units between 4 colors leaves the possibility for only 3-5 orders for the least popular color, which is difficult to deal with regarding extras to account for b-stock, so I decided to cut the color I think would sell the least.

As with other colors, if this round is successful, then I'd most likely introduce Pink for R2 :)

Offline btctopre

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 16:23:32 »
As nmur noted, I was only planning 3 colors. Splitting 40 units between 4 colors leaves the possibility for only 3-5 orders for the least popular color, which is difficult to deal with regarding extras to account for b-stock, so I decided to cut the color I think would sell the least.

As with other colors, if this round is successful, then I'd most likely introduce Pink for R2 :)
are you anticipating any issues with the consistency of the color on blue gray cases? i googled for examples of the color and saw that the x60 had some issues with some pieces being more blue than blue gray last year, but wasn't sure if that was potentially still a problem or not.

i doubt it matters all that much given the seamless top plate (so even if it's inconsistent case-to-case, it'll at least be consistent on each case), but figured i'd ask. big fan of blue gray/steel blue in general, so really hype about the color being offered.

edit-
What are the QC issues with the Classic? I didn't notice anything initially but I haven't given it too much desk time as I'm still pissed at UK customs for destroying the front trying to get into it.
there seem to be some issues with the construction (or how it's being put together/stored/shipped), as i saw a few posts about the mounting posts being cracked out of the box on reddit. i didn't look through japanese/chinese sites to see if the problem was more widespread, but if it is, then it might provoke a design change since i can't imagine topre being happy about flawed goods being associated with their name.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 July 2020, 16:29:34 by btctopre »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 18:08:48 »
are you anticipating any issues with the consistency of the color on blue gray cases? i googled for examples of the color and saw that the x60 had some issues with some pieces being more blue than blue gray last year, but wasn't sure if that was potentially still a problem or not.

i doubt it matters all that much given the seamless top plate (so even if it's inconsistent case-to-case, it'll at least be consistent on each case), but figured i'd ask. big fan of blue gray/steel blue in general, so really hype about the color being offered.

edit-
there seem to be some issues with the construction (or how it's being put together/stored/shipped), as i saw a few posts about the mounting posts being cracked out of the box on reddit. i didn't look through japanese/chinese sites to see if the problem was more widespread, but if it is, then it might provoke a design change since i can't imagine topre being happy about flawed goods being associated with their name.

I believe the Blue Gray issues are fixed completely, hoping to post some XRF pictures this week. I'm very happy with the finish from what I've seen.

Interesting, mine was visually destroyed from UK customs trying to force their way in, all of my front "clips" were broken so can't really judge how it's supposed to be :(

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 19:16:53 »

Many thanks to Zephyraeon for the info - a Novatouch is fully compatible as a donor board instead of the Realforce R1.

Maybe this table is helpful :)

Hi Pro also works of course, but I don't want to imagine how expensive this build is :eek:

Thanks to Ryan for sharing this pic.

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 19:30:39 »
Show Image

Many thanks to Zephyraeon for the info - a Novatouch is fully compatible as a donor board instead of the Realforce R1.

Maybe this table is helpful :)

Show Image

Hi Pro also works of course, but I don't want to imagine how expensive this build is :eek:

Thanks to Ryan for sharing this pic.

Show Image

That's awesome news, was potentially going to get a novatouch and realforce to make the dream, but I can just search for a novatouch now nicee.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline Seoulcialite

• MechSeoul
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 14:08:33 »
Wouldn't other Topre boards be able to be harvested for the sliders and stabilizers? Such as the Leopold FC660C?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 14:30:21 »
Wouldn't other Topre boards be able to be harvested for the sliders and stabilizers? Such as the Leopold FC660C?

Based on pictures, yes that'd work. Realforces are abundant so they're the perfect candidate, hence the "official" support. I'm sure the FC660C would also work but I believe it'd be a small minority that would donate one of those.

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 03:00:59 »

I was thinking the same but with something like a Noppoo or RealKludge board.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: [IC] Noxary Evija - HHKB Reimagined - Preorder Open!
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 07:28:28 »
Preorder is now live, check it out here: https://noxary.co/collections/evija

Locking as the interest check is over.