Author Topic: [IC] GMK Dolch R5 (GB live Aug 1 - Sep 4, 2020)  (Read 60271 times)

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
Re: [IC] GMK Dolch R5 (GB estimated Aug 2020)
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 09:25:22 »
I don't think including UK keys with tertiary legends over mod-colored `~ and \| in the base kit makes sense.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #151 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 09:29:12 »
I don't think including UK keys with tertiary legends over mod-colored `~ and \| in the base kit makes sense.

I'll mark my disagreement here. Too many sets with English (UK) support omit the tertiary legends, so it's refreshing to see them present here.

... even if one of them is the ¦ character, which never should have existed (but that's a different pet peeve).

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #152 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 09:55:32 »

I'll mark my disagreement here. Too many sets with English (UK) support omit the tertiary legends, so it's refreshing to see them present here.

... even if one of them is the ¦ character, which never should have existed (but that's a different pet peeve).

This doesn't change the fact that the mod-colored `~ and \| keys likely see much more use than those UK keys (and ISO keys in general).

Edit: I might be wrong here, and I don't have any data to back it up, but it's something I feel is true just from seeing thousands of photos of keyboards over the years.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 June 2020, 10:19:11 by konstantin »

Offline BloodyMarvel

« Reply #153 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 01:37:12 »
I really don't care in what set the keys are. I'm gonna buy every set that's coming out.

- Base
- Extensions
- Hangul
- R0 (still hopin'...)

Offline Dafraz117

« Reply #154 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 06:14:41 »
Would accent color space bars be interesting to add to this? Mainly interested in red 2.25u and 2.75u.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #155 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 09:57:52 »
I really don't care in what set the keys are. I'm gonna buy every set that's coming out.

- Base
- Extensions
- Hangul
- R0 (still hopin'...)

Thanks for the support!

Would accent color space bars be interesting to add to this? Mainly interested in red 2.25u and 2.75u.

At the time it's not in the plans, but we'll consider it.

Offline TBone

« Reply #156 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 14:15:34 »
Sorry if a dumb question -- I couldn't find the answer. Does anyone know how these colors will compare to IvanIvanovich's Dolch set from 2014. I realize legends, profile, and key sizes are different, but I'm wondering specifically of the plastic colors used. I believe the legends here are going to be slightly less bright (??) white, closer to the original. But I wasn't sure if Ivan's run had the original grey colors. Thanks in advance, if anyone knows!  :thumb:

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #157 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 14:23:18 »
Sorry if a dumb question -- I couldn't find the answer. Does anyone know how these colors will compare to IvanIvanovich's Dolch set from 2014. I realize legends, profile, and key sizes are different, but I'm wondering specifically of the plastic colors used. I believe the legends here are going to be slightly less bright (??) white, closer to the original. But I wasn't sure if Ivan's run had the original grey colors. Thanks in advance, if anyone knows!  :thumb:

The colors should be the same as Ivan's run. The white should be like the original.

Offline BloodyMarvel

« Reply #158 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 22:20:25 »
Could we also get the
¬
`  ¦
in N9?

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #159 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 14:55:11 »
Alpha Keycaps SALE ANNOUNCEMENT - Mid June Sale
- album: https://imgur.com/a/D17tHqy
- Bloodhound Keypora = Dolch colorway!
- Public Raffle Sale: check /r/mechmarket, @alphakeycaps (Instagram), or the Alpha Keycaps Discord at the time of the sale
- Open at Monday, 15 June 2020 @ 07.30 PM PT (Open for 12 hours, payment window 12 hours)

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #160 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 18:12:44 »
Got a RAL book in and began testing some colors.

Here are some photos: NOTE: compare the edge of the RAL card that is CLOSEST to the badge.

Thus far, it seems to me that the last photo (#3) has the color that comes *closest* to the color of the badge. I have tried finding a color that is just a smidge darker, but even the smallest value variance (+/- 5 units) causes the difference to drift more than it is different now.

I may settle for this very slightly lighter color (I think it's closer than the darker ones), but would welcome any opinions and comments.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #161 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 03:36:21 »
Thus far, it seems to me that the last photo (#3) has the color that comes *closest* to the color of the badge. I have tried finding a color that is just a smidge darker, but even the smallest value variance (+/- 5 units) causes the difference to drift more than it is different now.

Yep, I think the third one comes the closest, despite being a tad brighter. Which RAL color is this, if you don't mind sharing?

Offline J3ff_Leopard

• Wishlist
« Reply #162 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 05:09:06 »
I agree that #3 is the best choice but 1# doesn't seem far off either. Ultimately, I trust you as the designer to decide. You have the colors in hand and my screens may be off.
WTB Resin Cast Click Clack Leaf

Offline Dafraz117

« Reply #163 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 06:52:04 »
Yea I say do what you think is best all three look great. I think the first one is more of a color match. But I like the lighter one  (#3) also. All three are so close. :) I’m getting my keyboard cerakoted specifically for this set. Pretty excited.

Offline ab042896

« Reply #164 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 09:22:20 »
agreed that the first one looks like a nice match, love the slightly deeper colour. We're all looking through different monitors and such so you're obviously in the best position to determine what looks best

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #165 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 12:44:40 »
Thanks for the input! I will see what is the better fit among these, and see if I can get even closer. It's important to note that this may look different in plastic anyway, and that we may require at least one plastic color sample during production to confirm, but with these at least, we should be able to come close.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #166 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 21:31:26 »
My choice for the turquoise accent color is almost certainly going to be the slightly lighter, but close-enough turquoise shown in #3 in the photos above. There is nothing else that comes closer than that.
---
Aside, built my Dolch PAC keyboard with a custom build in anticipation of the GMK Dolch R5 run coming this August.

--
More details on the build here

« Last Edit: Fri, 19 June 2020, 23:13:20 by LightningXI »

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #167 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 22:59:29 »
My choice for the turquoise accent color is almost certainly be the slightly lighter, but close-enough turquoise shown in #3 in the photos above. There is nothing else that comes closer than that.
---
Aside, built my Dolch PAC keyboard with a custom build in anticipation of the GMK Dolch R5 run coming this August.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

--
More details on the build here

lightning builds are of the uppermost tier of keyboard builds

Offline Zytjok

« Reply #168 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 13:35:28 »
This set looks so amazing, I've chosen to skip Modern and just wait for this set just curious if there will be any plans on a deskmat to match when this set runs?

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #169 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 13:43:16 »
This set looks so amazing, I've chosen to skip Modern and just wait for this set just curious if there will be any plans on a deskmat to match when this set runs?
It's not planned at the moment but I'll look into this.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #170 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 10:22:16 »
Hangul kit has been finalized and render will be updated in the OP; here it is, below:

---

edit: updated render
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 July 2020, 17:52:52 by LightningXI »

Offline dallman5

Re: [IC] GMK Dolch R5 (GB scheduled Aug 2020... waiting for quotes)
« Reply #171 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 10:25:51 »
Hangul kit render has been finalized and updated in the OP; here it is also, below:

Show Image

Oof, why the drop in numrow/punctuation? I was really hoping I could double dip and fill out two boards if I got all the three kits.
LF: OG Cherry APL (lasered), Artisans

Current collection:
More
Norbatouch (Galaxy Blue) | Mira SE (Lunar Grey, WKL) | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300BN) | Noxary X60 (Grey, HHKB) | KBDFans 5 Degree (Silver) | AEK64 (Grey) | Norbaforce (Tactical Black, WKL)) | Realforce 86U (White) | TGR 910 RE (Polycarbonate) | LZ-SQ (Black) | LZ-CLS (Grey, WKL) | Duck Orion v1 (Silver, WK)) | Nissho KB106DE | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300B) | LZ CLS-S (Blue, Poker) | Realforce 87U 10th Anniversary) | Realforce 104UK | TGR Alice (Grey on Pink) | Singa (Blue, WKL)  | Quantrik QXP (Blue Grey, WKL) | LZ-GH v2 (Black, WK) | KMAC Happy (Red, Poker)) | IBM Model M SSK (APL) | TGR 910 SE (Pink on Blue) | GSKT-00 (Silver, Poker) | OTD Koala (Silver, WKL) | Realforce R2 PFU Edition (Ivory) | IBM 3279 Beamspring (APL) | TGR Tris (Blue) | LZ-GH v2 (Blue, WKL)) | TGR Jane v2 (Blue-grey, WKL) | LZ-MP (Shine Grey, WKL)  | TGR x Singa Unikorn (Purple) | Justsystems x Realforce 108UG) | IBM Model F Unsaver (APL) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Multicolor, WKL) | Realforce 87U (Blank Black) | Lin Montage (Light Blue, WKL) | GSKT-00 AEK R2 (Grey, HHKB) | Leopold FC660C (Blank Black) | Duck Viper v3 (Grey on Black) | Rama Works M6-C RWxRW | LZ-GH v1 (Black, WKL) | Gok 7v (Grey) | biso x beaming Kei (SS, HHKB) | zacheadams x bisoromi little z | Matrix Noah (Silver/Grey, WKL) | Lin Whale (Pink, WKL) | TGR Alice (Polycarbonate) | Rama Kara (Noct) | Lin Whale75 (Burgundy, F13) | Realforce 89 (Ivory) | Hand Engineering Haus (Bluegrey) | Haytco CAKE60_R1 (Pantone 4167C) | LZ-XE (Grey, WKL) | Noxary X60 V2 (Grey, WK) | Daji Ochocuatro (Grey, WKL) | HHKB Hybird Type-S 25th Anniversary (Snow) | LZ-REs (Grey, WKL) | Matrix 8xv 3.0 (Blue-Black/Deep Grey, WKL) | Realforce 23UB | Biso RS60 (Black, WK) | TGR x MXF Koala (Grey/Black, WKL)

Italics = Incoming, Black = Gone

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #172 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 10:26:52 »
Hangul kit render has been finalized and updated in the OP; here it is also, below:

Show Image

Oof, why the drop in numrow/punctuation? I was really hoping I could double dip and fill out two boards if I got all the three kits.

Oh duh, that's my bad. Those will be included. It'll be a full alphas kit (and also include 6.25u and 7u)
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 July 2020, 10:32:28 by LightningXI »

Offline Dafraz117

« Reply #173 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 10:34:29 »
Really excited for this!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #174 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 10:40:40 »
How about using “Num” instead of “Num↲Lock” and “Caps” instead of “Caps↲Lock” (stepped) for consistency with “Scroll” and the other legends in the set (all of them are single-line other than these two)?

Nice Hangul kit :thumb:

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #175 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 10:45:57 »
How about using “Num” instead of “Num↲Lock” and “Caps” instead of “Caps↲Lock” (stepped) for consistency with “Scroll” and the other legends in the set (all of them are single-line other than these two)?

Nice Hangul kit :thumb:

I understand the reasoning behind this statement, but I have no plans to change those legends in particular.

Thanks, otherwise!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #176 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 10:54:48 »
I understand the reasoning behind this statement, but I have no plans to change those legends in particular.

Thanks, otherwise!

Alright, cool. And I assume you'd already considered removing the sublegends on the numpad and decided against that too?

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #177 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 11:05:00 »

Thanks, otherwise!

Alright, cool. And I assume you'd already considered removing the sublegends on the numpad and decided against that too?
Yeah, I wanted to keep the numpad close to regular Cherry, especially as we have icon plus text mods overall.

The Print Scroll Pause is just an aesthetic change for the sake of the top row (inb4 people complain about tilted legends)

Offline .

« Reply #178 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 18:17:13 »
definitely want this

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #179 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 07:35:10 »
Some new renders updated in OP:

Dixie Mech Bauer

Zambumon Sar

« Last Edit: Fri, 03 July 2020, 11:49:38 by LightningXI »

Offline dallman5

« Reply #180 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 09:00:55 »
Love the cherry logo and the blue you picked out!

Current collection:
More
Norbatouch (Galaxy Blue) | Mira SE (Lunar Grey, WKL) | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300BN) | Noxary X60 (Grey, HHKB) | KBDFans 5 Degree (Silver) | AEK64 (Grey) | Norbaforce (Tactical Black, WKL)) | Realforce 86U (White) | TGR 910 RE (Polycarbonate) | LZ-SQ (Black) | LZ-CLS (Grey, WKL) | Duck Orion v1 (Silver, WK)) | Nissho KB106DE | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300B) | LZ CLS-S (Blue, Poker) | Realforce 87U 10th Anniversary) | Realforce 104UK | TGR Alice (Grey on Pink) | Singa (Blue, WKL)  | Quantrik QXP (Blue Grey, WKL) | LZ-GH v2 (Black, WK) | KMAC Happy (Red, Poker)) | IBM Model M SSK (APL) | TGR 910 SE (Pink on Blue) | GSKT-00 (Silver, Poker) | OTD Koala (Silver, WKL) | Realforce R2 PFU Edition (Ivory) | IBM 3279 Beamspring (APL) | TGR Tris (Blue) | LZ-GH v2 (Blue, WKL)) | TGR Jane v2 (Blue-grey, WKL) | LZ-MP (Shine Grey, WKL)  | TGR x Singa Unikorn (Purple) | Justsystems x Realforce 108UG) | IBM Model F Unsaver (APL) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Multicolor, WKL) | Realforce 87U (Blank Black) | Lin Montage (Light Blue, WKL) | GSKT-00 AEK R2 (Grey, HHKB) | Leopold FC660C (Blank Black) | Duck Viper v3 (Grey on Black) | Rama Works M6-C RWxRW | LZ-GH v1 (Black, WKL) | Gok 7v (Grey) | biso x beaming Kei (SS, HHKB) | zacheadams x bisoromi little z | Matrix Noah (Silver/Grey, WKL) | Lin Whale (Pink, WKL) | TGR Alice (Polycarbonate) | Rama Kara (Noct) | Lin Whale75 (Burgundy, F13) | Realforce 89 (Ivory) | Hand Engineering Haus (Bluegrey) | Haytco CAKE60_R1 (Pantone 4167C) | LZ-XE (Grey, WKL) | Noxary X60 V2 (Grey, WK) | Daji Ochocuatro (Grey, WKL) | HHKB Hybird Type-S 25th Anniversary (Snow) | LZ-REs (Grey, WKL) | Matrix 8xv 3.0 (Blue-Black/Deep Grey, WKL) | Realforce 23UB | Biso RS60 (Black, WK) | TGR x MXF Koala (Grey/Black, WKL)

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #181 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 14:15:37 »
Love the cherry logo and the blue you picked out!
Thanks!

I could see the actual plastic of the turquoise chosen to come out slightly different from the renders, but more importantly I hope it'll be as close as we can get to the Dolch PAC badge's turquoise color =)

I already placed an order for a sample. Hoping to get it before mid-July.

Offline Prelim

« Reply #182 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 15:34:23 »
I would be interested in a base set and "Nordeuk++ addon" for this, any chance to run it as well?
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline jihadu

« Reply #183 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 15:38:47 »
++ on the NordeUK++

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #184 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 15:39:15 »
I would be interested in a base set and "Nordeuk++ addon" for this, any chance to run it as well?

After a month or so since the beginning of the interest-check, at this point, I fear we will not be adding any additional kits. We have already sent out a request for quotes.
I've been polling interest for an International kit add-on, but so far I've only seen active interest from about 10-11 people in total.

Unfortunately, it won't be easy to justify running the kit (which would require at least 100 kits). I'd suggest that the group of people that is interested in such a kit to actually gather a committed group who can afford to meet MOQ requirements. This is not the case right now, so this kit (like a fully-fledged 40s kit) is not feasible.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 July 2020, 16:15:40 by LightningXI »

Offline Hell-es

« Reply #185 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 00:13:43 »
Sad but true looking at other sets.

GMK is not KAT in terms of Moq... but at least we have basic iso in basekit (growling at modo 2)  :)

Offline 1Weeb

• ◕w◕
« Reply #186 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 20:55:20 »
If you took into account every single previous iteration of Dolch based on GB start times, this would technically be R13  O_o
I think this is the GMK set with the most derivatives
I compiled a list of every Dolch iteration I know, let me know if there's anything I missed.
I know there was an R1 Originative run in there but I'm unsure about the date on that but probably 2017-2018?

GMK Dolch (Ivan GH)-------05-2014
GMK Sky Dolch---------------08-2015
GMK Dolch Reborn----------10-2016
GMK Dolch (kekkon GH)---01-2017
GMK Ocean Dolch-----------02-2017
GMK Skidolcha----------------07-2017
GMK Mint Dolch-------------- 05-2018
GMK Modern Dolch----------08-2018
GMK Modern Dolch Light---02-2020
GMK Dolch (OCO)------------03-2020
GMK Modern Dolch R2------06-2020
GMK Evil Dolch----------------07-2020
GMK Dolch R5-----------------08-2020    <--- You are here
GMK DDolch--------------------???

« Last Edit: Thu, 09 July 2020, 21:02:44 by 1Weeb »

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #187 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 22:07:03 »
If you took into account every single previous iteration of Dolch based on GB start times, this would technically be R13  O_o
I think this is the GMK set with the most derivatives
I compiled a list of every Dolch iteration I know, let me know if there's anything I missed.
I know there was an R1 Originative run in there but I'm unsure about the date on that but probably 2017-2018?

GMK Sky Dolch---------------08-2015
GMK Ocean Dolch-----------02-2017
GMK Skidolcha----------------07-2017
GMK Mint Dolch-------------- 05-2018
GMK Modern Dolch----------08-2018
GMK Modern Dolch Light---02-2020
GMK Modern Dolch R2------06-2020
GMK Evil Dolch----------------07-2020
GMK DDolch--------------------???

Yeah, seems about right?

But since "every single previous iteration of Dolch" isn't OG-style Dolch, this indeed is R5 :) Most Originative-produced Dolch sets, however, were run through direct retail (meaning no GB) sales.

Offline gzprime

« Reply #188 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 23:17:39 »
R5, icon plus text, Hangul, colors looking great. i am ready.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #189 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 12:30:41 »
Sorry to bring this up again, but if anyone is interested in the Dolch icon mods (N9/CP), please fill out our form for GMK ThinkCaps and be sure to tick Icon mods.

The reason I ask is because the icon mods are now on the chopping block (too many kits). We will keep them only if there's enough interest.

Here's the link: https://forms.gle/3m31h6g1t6ykKEQD8

Cheers!

PS. RGB mods and Novelties (media keys) may also be of interest.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #190 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 16:28:09 »
Sorry to bring this up again, but if anyone is interested in the Dolch icon mods (N9/CP), please fill out our form for GMK ThinkCaps and be sure to tick Icon mods.

The reason I ask is because the icon mods are now on the chopping block (too many kits). We will keep them only if there's enough interest.

Show Image

Cheers!

Wow, awesome render....!

Thanks for sharing here. I think it's good info for anybody who is looking to get Icon Mods to match the same Dolch look that kekkon had organized years ago in his last group-buy.

Let's gooooooooo - very much excited for this.

Offline snelltrail

« Reply #191 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 04:39:24 »
R5, icon plus text, Hangul, colors looking great. i am ready.

Couldn’t say it better. Let’s go!! 

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #192 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 06:32:07 »
Best set. Best GB runner. La Dolch vita.

Offline dallman5

« Reply #193 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 11:03:50 »

Show Image

Cheers!

Hoping RGBW and Icons survive so I can use them with this :)

Current collection:
More

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #194 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 21:10:05 »
https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/hxyoy3/artisan_r5d_sale_cozcaps/

Please check out Coz's cap sale for R5 Dolch-inspired artisan keycaps!

Form is live.

Offline parablol

« Reply #195 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 12:07:30 »
That Hangul kit will be perfect for the spare N9 Ortho kit I have lying around.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #196 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 12:34:45 »
I E-Mailed a Cherry representative a while ago, they gave me the blessing for this:

Offline Dafraz117

« Reply #197 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 12:47:17 »
I E-Mailed a Cherry representative a while ago, they gave me the blessing for this:

Show Image

Show Image

Wow that’s awesome. Very excited.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #198 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 12:50:13 »
Good ~ ~
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #199 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 13:00:12 »