geekhack Community > Off Topic

? how much in7ernet sp3ed do we actually need ?

(1/9) > >>

tp4tissue:
Tp4 thinks ~300mbps , 37.5 Megabyte/second,  is about as fast as any net service ever get up to.

So, any more, won't really improve real world usage much.

Thoughts?

suicidal_orange:
I get 8MB/S and that's plenty.  Everything can be streamed now so download times are irrelevant.

fohat.digs:
A family of 4, each member of which has multiple devices, along with the family TV, can suck down some bandwidth.

tp4tissue:

--- Quote from: suicidal_orange on Sat, 16 July 2022, 08:35:45 ---I get 8MB/S and that's plenty.  Everything can be streamed now so download times are irrelevant.

--- End quote ---

4k netflix hdr can get up to 40mbit though, if you have 2 of those streams, that could choke though rarely since there's a buffer.

suicidal_orange:

--- Quote from: tp4tissue on Sat, 16 July 2022, 08:55:14 ---4k netflix hdr can get up to 40mbit though, if you have 2 of those streams, that could choke though rarely since there's a buffer.

--- End quote ---
And why would I want to pretend to watch two 4k streams at once?  If I'm not really watching they can be lower res, if I am watching there would be only one.  This is ignoring the fact that there's not a 4k capable screen in my house.  No netflix either...

Like I said - "for me" 8MB/s is enough :thumb:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version