Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3521506 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #5050 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 23:42:17 »
Anyone know if it is possible to do a custom key layout in Android 4.1.2.  I found out how to switch out the key map to Dvorak but want to move a couple keys around.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline babyface

« Reply #5051 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 04:40:31 »
What units are the keys to the right of the space bar on poker ii? The bottom row.

thanks a bunch! I needed to know for R5 :)

1x1.25
Where do you get the idea that an LZ-GH is basically a filco??

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #5052 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 10:14:46 »
Can you tell the difference between diffused or water clear LEDs when installed on a keyboard?  If so, are there advantages to one or the other?

Bump...  Has anyone see/worked with both and can give some input regarding characteristics when installed on a keyboard?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5053 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 11:39:07 »
Can you tell the difference between diffused or water clear LEDs when installed on a keyboard?  If so, are there advantages to one or the other?

I imagine the water clear LEDs are brighter than the diffused ones. I can't find pictures of both LEDs installed on a keyboard though.

Bump...  Has anyone see/worked with both and can give some input regarding characteristics when installed on a keyboard?

Please try not to bump questions. The reason is that a lot of questions get asked and it'd be mayhem if everyone bumped their question. I'll try and hunt down someone to ask. I think Photoelectric has done a ton of research into LEDs. Jdcarpe might know too from the sheer number of boards he owns/worked on.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #5054 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 11:44:38 »
Has anyone ever encountered their Ducky Shine 2 shorting out?

Similar to this:

It happened to mine yesterday (after changing the switches + LEDs) and I realized that the PCB was touching the pins on the bottom of the case where the USB PCB board was...all I did was cover it up with tape and it fixed it. This problem only occurred when the top case snapped into place - I am assuming it exerted too much pressure on the PCB?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5055 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 11:47:40 »

I've had this happen on my Pure and FC700R. The case material is apparently a bit conductive and throws off the circuit. Just put a piece of drawer liner/tape/something you know that's not conductive between the PCB and case. Should work fine after. I've put pieces of drawer in both those keyboards and it fixed the issue.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #5056 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 11:53:34 »

I've had this happen on my Pure and FC700R. The case material is apparently a bit conductive and throws off the circuit. Just put a piece of drawer liner/tape/something you know that's not conductive between the PCB and case. Should work fine after. I've put pieces of drawer in both those keyboards and it fixed the issue.

I actually have that inside the case to "dampen" the noise. I just squeezed the case and it's shorting out again...argh. I'll try to rearrange the liner and see if it works.

Thanks for the reply!

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #5057 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 22:34:29 »
Where can I get topre key cap sets?
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #5058 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 22:34:55 »

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #5059 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 22:38:30 »
I'm terrible at eyballing the size of keys. Can anyone help me figure out this Minila JP layout?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5060 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 22:51:31 »
I'm terrible at eyballing the size of keys. Can anyone help me figure out this Minila JP layout?

Show Image

Pretty sure its 1.2 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1.2  - 3 - 1.2 - 1.2 - 1 - 1 - 1

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #5061 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 22:56:43 »

Show Image

I concur
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #5062 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 00:52:28 »

Nope...still persisting. When I press in the middle of the keyboard, it just short circuits. I already rearranged the lining and this still persists...:(

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #5063 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 00:59:19 »

Show Image

I concur

Thank you both :)

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #5064 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 01:01:25 »

EK
Sorry, I should specific. Key cap sets for JIS Realforce keyboards.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline Capitalistix

• Cherry MX Green Disciple
    • Uncanny Electronics
« Reply #5065 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 05:16:28 »
Hey yall, long time no post :P

Just had a quick silly question, and needed a refresher on mah cherry lessons. Are there any switch types that feel like MX greens (ie same bump and actuation force) but with no audible click?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #5066 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 06:01:49 »

Just had a quick silly question, and needed a refresher on mah cherry lessons. Are there any switch types that feel like MX greens (ie same bump and actuation force) but with no audible click?

That would be MX clears.  MX whites have a softer click.  Clears do have a slightly different spring than blacks which are linear with no bump or click.  The spring in clears (with no stem) is just a touch lighter at the actuation point and a bit heavier at the bottom.  I believe there is a link in the op to a graph comparing I believe 6 different springs including blacks, clears, cherry "light springs", and 3 from originativeco.com

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5067 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 07:17:26 »

That would be MX clears.  MX whites have a softer click.  Clears do have a slightly different spring than blacks which are linear with no bump or click.  The spring in clears (with no stem) is just a touch lighter at the actuation point and a bit heavier at the bottom.  I believe there is a link in the op to a graph comparing I believe 6 different springs including blacks, clears, cherry "light springs", and 3 from originativeco.com

I wouldn't say clears and greens are anything alike, but that's must my opinion from comparing the two.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #5068 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 08:10:23 »

I wouldn't say clears and greens are anything alike, but that's must my opinion from comparing the two.

You do have a point and I should have been a little more clear in my response.  What I forgot to add was this my suggestion for a stock switch that is essentially a non clicky green.  My other suggestion would be a jailhouse mod on greens.  While I am not exactly sure what all is involved in this mod I do know that the process makes it non clicky by not letting the clicky slider move independently of the switch stem.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #5069 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 08:35:10 »

EK
If you can't find anywhere else, you can find them on Amazon.co.jp

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5070 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 10:58:43 »

Nope...still persisting. When I press in the middle of the keyboard, it just short circuits. I already rearranged the lining and this still persists...:(

Thought you said tape worked? Did you try taping the area of the case where you suspect it shorting out? In other words, if its shorting out in the middle of the keyboard, take the PCB out, and put tape where you suspect the PCB is shorting.

Like Melvang said, I would say MX Clears and maybe MX Whites. However in my experience, Clears still make some noise. I think that only the linear switches make very little noise.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #5071 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 00:45:37 »

EK
If you can't find anywhere else, you can find them on Amazon.co.jp
thanks. Proxying frmo Amazon.co.jp is probably my best option.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #5072 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 14:14:36 »
are there any 75% boards that are fully compatible with mac? meaning the command key and whatnot

possibly the noppoo? my friend wants a board and needs to use it with him mac

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #5073 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 15:50:05 »
How much does 75 switches weigh?

Offline Olitender

« Reply #5074 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 18:27:35 »
Where can I find coiled cables that is about one foot long without breaking the bank buying custom cables?
Going into heat.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #5075 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 18:33:36 »
How much does 75 switches weigh?

Depends how heavy the spring is.  /Trollface

10 switches are, on average, 17g from the weighing I've done, so take that as you will.

Where can I find coiled cables that is about one foot long without breaking the bank buying custom cables?

eBay.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #5076 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 18:33:56 »

How does $20 break the bank? Go to one of the various cable makers and get one.

If $20 breaks the bank, then make one yourself.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #5077 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 21:16:23 »

Everyone has different budgets and are in different situations than one another.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5078 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 21:30:38 »

The trial and error, plus one set of materials, may prove less cost effective than simply buying one.

That is also very short for a cable - most are around 6ft long.  Most of the cost of a custom cable is in the plug and work to assemble it - I don't think there will be much discount buying a 1ft cable over a 6ft cable.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #5079 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 23:09:07 »
What springs do you guys use for your ergo clear space bars? I'm using 62g springs and it "clacks" pretty loud (I clipped the stabilizers).

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #5080 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 23:11:39 »
What springs do you guys use for your ergo clear space bars? I'm using 62g springs and it "clacks" pretty loud (I clipped the stabilizers).

67g. Also depends on how thick your spacebar is. I'm using an IMSTO thick pbt and the space bar is muted. However when I use a WASD abs space bar it sounds tinny and clacky

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #5081 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 23:12:01 »
Where do I get latex milk?

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #5082 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 23:57:11 »

67g. Also depends on how thick your spacebar is. I'm using an IMSTO thick pbt and the space bar is muted. However when I use a WASD abs space bar it sounds tinny and clacky

Ah okay, thanks for the reply! I resorted to swapping the 62g springs with the stock clear ones.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #5083 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 07:07:59 »
Where do I get latex milk?

If that is the same as "liquid latex", ebay has some. An art supplies shop should have some too.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5084 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 08:20:20 »

In the future, Olitender, you should include how much your budget is. It's easier for us to help you that way.

are there any 75% boards that are fully compatible with mac? meaning the command key and whatnot

possibly the noppoo? my friend wants a board and needs to use it with him mac

The Matias keyboards are the only keyboards that comes to mind.

Offline AoS

« Reply #5085 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 10:00:58 »
Hi, I'm new to the whole keyboard modding scene and just ordered my first mechanical keyboard (CM QFR Brown Switches). Would have loved to have gotten a Filco keyboard, but couldn't justify spending nearly twice as much on something that works just as well.

After browsing through some threads in the forum, I've found some terms that I'm not familiar with and would appreciate it if someone would help clarify them for me before I proceed with purchasing a new set of keycaps for my keyboard.

What is and what are the differences between an ABS and PBT keycap?

What details should I look at when purchasing a new set of keycaps? Will keycaps that fit a Filco keyboard, fit on a CM keyboard?

For those who are wondering, I'm planning to replace my QFR keycaps with an all white set. How original, I know :D
I'm inclined to post the link to e-bay where I'm planning to buy the keycaps from but I'm not sure if that's against the rules for a new guy.

Thanks to anyone that can help!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5086 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 10:12:58 »
1) I've found some terms that I'm not familiar with and would appreciate it if someone would help clarify them for me before I proceed with purchasing a new set of keycaps for my keyboard.

2) What is and what are the differences between an ABS and PBT keycap?

3) What details should I look at when purchasing a new set of keycaps? Will keycaps that fit a Filco keyboard, fit on a CM keyboard?

4) I'm inclined to post the link to e-bay where I'm planning to buy the keycaps from but I'm not sure if that's against the rules for a new guy.

1) There's a Glossary that BlueBar and the Keepers are working on.

2) ABS and PBT are types of plastics. They feel different. Some prefer ABS, some PBT.

3) Make sure they fit. Your Filco is probably a ANSI 87 key (has 87 keys on it) or ANSI 1.25x modifiers. So just find sets that have the standard ANSI layout and you'll be fine. Most keyboards you'll buy/find are ANSI 87 key. You'll also want to find a profile you like.

4) If you want us to verify if they fit, link us.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #5087 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 10:16:11 »
Hi, I'm new to the whole keyboard modding scene and just ordered my first mechanical keyboard (CM QFR Brown Switches). Would have loved to have gotten a Filco keyboard, but couldn't justify spending nearly twice as much on something that works just as well.

After browsing through some threads in the forum, I've found some terms that I'm not familiar with and would appreciate it if someone would help clarify them for me before I proceed with purchasing a new set of keycaps for my keyboard.

What is and what are the differences between an ABS and PBT keycap?

ABS and PBT are types of plastic used to mold keycaps. They each have a different feel and sound when typing on them, and the experience is highly subjective. You will have to try them for yourself to find which you like better. The thickness of the keycaps also plays a factor in how they sound when bottoming out/rebounding, and the overall experience of using them.

What details should I look at when purchasing a new set of keycaps? Will keycaps that fit a Filco keyboard, fit on a CM keyboard?

Yes, keycaps that fit a Filco will fit a QFR. You are looking for a standard ANSI 87-key set, with 1.25-unit modifiers on the bottom row, and a 6.25-unit spacebar.

For those who are wondering, I'm planning to replace my QFR keycaps with an all white set. How original, I know :D
I'm inclined to post the link to e-bay where I'm planning to buy the keycaps from but I'm not sure if that's against the rules for a new guy.

Thanks to anyone that can help!

Posting eBay links for reference about your question isn't prohibited.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline AoS

« Reply #5088 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 10:29:35 »

1) There's a Glossary that BlueBar and the Keepers are working on.

2) ABS and PBT are types of plastics. They feel different. Some prefer ABS, some PBT.

3) Make sure they fit. Your Filco is probably a ANSI 87 key (has 87 keys on it) or ANSI 1.25x modifiers. So just find sets that have the standard ANSI layout and you'll be fine. Most keyboards you'll buy/find are ANSI 87 key. You'll also want to find a profile you like.

4) If you want us to verify if they fit, link us.

Thanks! I stumbled upon this seller another member had linked, whilst browsing through the forums. I'm looking for engraved white keycaps for my CM QFR.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.3.w4002-3583352554.36.vKq8iu&id=13483583452

Still looking for stores selling laser engraved white keycaps, most are selling side/top printed ones.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5089 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 10:32:53 »
1) Thanks! I stumbled upon this seller another member had linked, whilst browsing through the forums. I'm looking for engraved white keycaps for my CM QFR.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.3.w4002-3583352554.36.vKq8iu&id=13483583452

2) Still looking for stores selling laser engraved white keycaps, most are selling side/top printed ones.

1) Says right in the title that it will fit Filco/Das/Ducky so it's safe to assume its ANSI 104 which means it will fit your ANSI 87 Filco. ANSI 104 is just the fullsize keycap set. ANSI 87 is the same set minus the numberpad.

2) Engraved caps in general aren't popular since the indentation can get dirty fast.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #5090 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 10:35:38 »
Still looking for stores selling laser engraved white keycaps, most are selling side/top printed ones.

The ones you posted are white laser engraved caps as far as I can see?

Offline AoS

« Reply #5091 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 11:14:02 »

The ones you posted are white laser engraved caps as far as I can see?

I'm still looking around for a store that can provide direct shipping to where I live or at least to the US where I have a forwarding address. Taobao has quite a complicated process of buying and it's all in Chinese which I can't really understand, though it is my last resort if I can't find any other sellers elsewhere.

1) Says right in the title that it will fit Filco/Das/Ducky so it's safe to assume its ANSI 104 which means it will fit your ANSI 87 Filco. ANSI 104 is just the fullsize keycap set. ANSI 87 is the same set minus the numberpad.

2) Engraved caps in general aren't popular since the indentation can get dirty fast.

I do take good care of my computer peripherals, cleaning them once they get a little dirty, borderline OCD.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #5092 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 11:20:35 »
I'm still looking around for a store that can provide direct shipping to where I live or at least to the US where I have a forwarding address. Taobao has quite a complicated process of buying and it's all in Chinese which I can't really understand, though it is my last resort if I can't find any other sellers elsewhere.

What is your location, anyway?

Also, that taobao link you posted is a storefront for Geekhack user imsto. You could try PM'ing him with what you want. He is very trustworthy, and has been very accommodating of Geekhack users' requests. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5093 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 11:23:50 »
Also for just an fyi imsto put a new site up

http://imsto.cn/

I believe it's still a work in progress but should help all those looking to buy from him.

Offline AoS

« Reply #5094 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 11:29:41 »

Also, that taobao link you posted is a storefront for Geekhack user imsto. You could try PM'ing him with what you want. He is very trustworthy, and has been very accommodating of Geekhack users' requests. :)

Oh thanks! I'll PM him. I live in Singapore, where a QFR keyboard would set you back about 130USD.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #5095 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 19:12:21 »
I have the POKER II and i can't figure out how to get the escape key to turn into a toggle key. I get the one symbol when i use the function button but i can't get the other squiggly line. I have the switch 2 on and i tried it off and it still won't work. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #5096 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 19:21:01 »
Erm.. did you press shift?

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #5097 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 19:26:29 »
Yes and that only gives me the bottom symbol. Not the longer line. Thanks.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5098 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 20:01:05 »
I have the POKER II and i can't figure out how to get the escape key to turn into a toggle key. I get the one symbol when i use the function button but i can't get the other squiggly line. I have the switch 2 on and i tried it off and it still won't work. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you're looking for tilde, or ~, apparently it's FN+Q. apparently it's FN + shift + escape. You can download a Poker 2 manual here.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5099 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 20:02:09 »

Push fn+shift+esc to get "~".    fn+esc would give " ` "