Site Announcements and Feedback > Announcements/Feedback/Suggestions

Massdrop x Geekhack

<< < (58/61) > >>

grizzly_teddy:

--- Quote from: grizzly_teddy on Fri, 06 July 2018, 14:54:05 ---I bought an arrows kit from SA Carbon from MD. Turns out it was missing an arrow. I messaged MD via their website, and they did a really great job in getting me out a replacement key. I know it is just one transaction, but I was happy. Enough so that I spent $6k on keysets from MD in the past few months.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: davkol on Fri, 06 July 2018, 17:00:03 ---Are you going to applaud Massdrop for _not_ committing fraud?

--- End quote ---

I know your comment wasn't directly at me - but no that is not the point. The point is that they owned their mistake and took care of it: immediately.  They didn't give me a hard time, they didn't take 10 days to get back to me. That is good customer service. That is what I am saying. And how did they even get an extra key for me? They either had to have had purchased extras themselves, or have such a good relationship with SP that SP was able to produce it right away and send it. Either case shows that they took ownership of a mistake - and even planned ahead in case that mistake would happen.

I know they messed up with the Ergodox and some other drops, but I think it is evident that they are in general doing a really good job and trying to do better.

HoffmanMyster:
To toss in my 2 cents after some further discussion has taken place here:
I think the worst thing for this community is fragmentation.  I can certainly understand the frustration and concern, but I don't see why we can't just wait and see.  Speaking for myself and presumably the rest of the mod team as well, we won't exactly sit idly by while Massdrop (potentially, in these worst-case-scenario theories) ruins the forum.  We are not owned by Massdrop and I'm not afraid to speak out at any point.  I value this community much more than anything that MD could (potentially, again) take from me by doing so.  Yeah, this is a huge change to the forum, and we should be alert.  But I think it is absolutely too soon to start splintering off and creating new pockets of community. 

--- Quote from: grizzly_teddy on Tue, 10 July 2018, 08:56:08 ---Yeah see, I don't like that idea that a 4 year old post goes to the top. That is a poor user experience, especially for a new user who doesn't know how relevant that post is. I posted a more detailed explanation in the other MassdropxGeekhack thread.

--- End quote ---

It's not really a poor user experience, it sounds more like a misalignment of goals.  Sites like reddit are intended to show you the hottest, newest content as rapidly as possible.  This makes for a very poor user experience if you're hoping to have an ongoing discussion and develop an idea/project from start to finish, but a great user experience if you want to see the latest things being discussed.  A niche hobbyist forum like geekhack would be essentially useless if it followed that format, since the idea is to continue discussions for potentially years at a time, especially in project-based threads.  Not to mention media threads where you have an entire catalog of posts from the beginning, at your fingertips - no need to search for all the nice Clack pics or anything like that. 

Anyway, this is a philosophical discussion that doesn't really have a conclusion, it all comes down to preferences and intent.  ;)

(I'm assuming your comment was more directed at GB-type threads, in which case yes there is absolutely room for improvement, but I don't think it requires an overhaul of the entire forum structure)

rioc:

--- Quote from: HoffmanMyster on Tue, 10 July 2018, 12:52:33 ---To toss in my 2 cents after some further discussion has taken place here:
I think the worst thing for this community is fragmentation.  I can certainly understand the frustration and concern, but I don't see why we can't just wait and see.  Speaking for myself and presumably the rest of the mod team as well, we won't exactly sit idly by while Massdrop (potentially, in these worst-case-scenario theories) ruins the forum.  We are not owned by Massdrop and I'm not afraid to speak out at any point.  I value this community much more than anything that MD could (potentially, again) take from me by doing so.  Yeah, this is a huge change to the forum, and we should be alert.  But I think it is absolutely too soon to start splintering off and creating new pockets of community. 

--- Quote from: grizzly_teddy on Tue, 10 July 2018, 08:56:08 ---Yeah see, I don't like that idea that a 4 year old post goes to the top. That is a poor user experience, especially for a new user who doesn't know how relevant that post is. I posted a more detailed explanation in the other MassdropxGeekhack thread.

--- End quote ---

It's not really a poor user experience, it sounds more like a misalignment of goals.  Sites like reddit are intended to show you the hottest, newest content as rapidly as possible.  This makes for a very poor user experience if you're hoping to have an ongoing discussion and develop an idea/project from start to finish, but a great user experience if you want to see the latest things being discussed.  A niche hobbyist forum like geekhack would be essentially useless if it followed that format, since the idea is to continue discussions for potentially years at a time, especially in project-based threads.  Not to mention media threads where you have an entire catalog of posts from the beginning, at your fingertips - no need to search for all the nice Clack pics or anything like that. 

Anyway, this is a philosophical discussion that doesn't really have a conclusion, it all comes down to preferences and intent.  ;)

(I'm assuming your comment was more directed at GB-type threads, in which case yes there is absolutely room for improvement, but I don't think it requires an overhaul of the entire forum structure)

--- End quote ---

PREACH! I'm certainly not gonna spend time on that other feed, sticking with gh!

grizzly_teddy:

--- Quote from: HoffmanMyster on Tue, 10 July 2018, 12:52:33 ---
A niche hobbyist forum like geekhack would be essentially useless if it followed that format, since the idea is to continue discussions for potentially years at a time, especially in project-based threads.

--- End quote ---

I don't think that GeekHack should be exactly like Reddit - but that Group buys and long running posts need to be better segregated from new posts. I guess that's all it boils down to for me.

HoffmanMyster:

--- Quote from: grizzly_teddy on Tue, 10 July 2018, 16:02:36 ---
--- Quote from: HoffmanMyster on Tue, 10 July 2018, 12:52:33 ---
A niche hobbyist forum like geekhack would be essentially useless if it followed that format, since the idea is to continue discussions for potentially years at a time, especially in project-based threads.

--- End quote ---

I don't think that GeekHack should be exactly like Reddit - but that Group buys and long running posts need to be better segregated from new posts. I guess that's all it boils down to for me.

--- End quote ---

Yep, makes good sense to me - I certainly don't disagree.  :thumb:  Could really use an overhaul of the GB subforum, it's long overdue at this point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version