Author Topic: Looking to buy Filco, Leopolo and MKC keyCap Puller  (Read 2341 times)

Offline zillah

Looking to buy Filco, Leopolo and MKC keyCap Puller
« on: Wed, 28 July 2021, 10:10:11 »
Dear folk

Based what I have read in this forum I have realized that couple were referring to those brands : Filco, Leopolo and MKC (may be there are other quality but I missed them) keyCap puller.

Looking to buy 4 for a  computer repair shop ,,,,I wasn't able to find them where I am based New Zealand ,,,,,,some ebay sellers are selling same unrealistic price.

I was thinking buy 4 different brands to feel and experience the difference for future needs

Can those be found at one online place as it would be easier for purchase and save on postage as they might consider combined postage ?

AliExpress , Banggood won't sell those 3 brands 

Thx
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 July 2021, 20:17:16 by zillah »

Offline Tactile

Re: Looking to buy Filco, Leopolo and MKC keyCap Puller
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 July 2021, 12:30:49 »
A search for "wire keycap puller" should turn up quite a few of the same type. In my experience they're all about the same. The only difference I've noted is that some have the wire bent in a slightly different shape so they will hold more caps. Some will hold 2 or 3 and some will hold 4 before they need to be emptied. All of the wire type I've used work fine and won't damage the caps.

In a pinch I've also made my own bu just bending a piece of wire.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Riverman

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 July 2021, 12:59:26 »
They really are just about all the same, except for the shape of the handle.  I have a small collection of them, and I end up using a generic one half the time because there's almost no functional difference between them.  I will say that I like the Ducky puller the least, just because the handle is small, and the Tai Hao Clicker puller is my second least favorite because the handle is so wide and smooth, and feels strange.  The Filco puller is nice, but that one's nearly identical to most of the generic ones.

Offline zillah

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 July 2021, 20:15:37 »
Thanks guys for you advice
I will consider what you suggested

Offline Volny

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 28 July 2021, 20:39:39 »
Try and get one that's on the longer side, so that it will be able to easily 'do the splits' widely enough to cope with a 2.25 shift key. Wide keys is where wire pullers really shine, as they can safely and evenly pull the key from both ends at once...as long as they can stretch that far in the first place.

Offline zillah

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 28 July 2021, 20:43:39 »
Try and get one that's on the longer side, so that it will be able to easily 'do the splits'
Can kindly share an online link then I can have a look at it
Ebay , chines e-commerce website,,,etc ? 
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 July 2021, 22:19:21 by zillah »

Offline Volny

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 29 July 2021, 08:25:59 »
This looks like the one I have: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005002572799015.html?pid=808_0000_0101&spm=a2g0n.productlist.0.0.100d4134NbrhwO&browser_id=56eca637fa8b4d0f88604f3491080de8&aff_trace_key=48ab6a51dacf42cea766633a6bf1298a-1622387042799-00825-UneMJZVf&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=pzlsgkkrda4cathh17af26c1602aea0a104ad38929&gclid=&_imgsrc_=ae01.alicdn.com/kf/H89e7040665ef43a5a82ebefc3d48e1918.jpg_640x640Q90.jpg_.webp

The switch puller is crap, but the keycap puller is great.

I have another wire keycap puller that I think came with a Ducky keypad. It's fine too, but not quite as good as the above one (and with a slightly narrower reach).

While googling now, I found an identical looking one to the one I linked, on Amazon for $25, but I don't think I paid more than a few bucks for mine, which I think was also from aliexpress.

In case you're wondering, the *switch* puller side is crap because it warps easily and its pincers aren't acute and/or thin enough to easily grab the switches. This switch puller is much better: https://dailyclack.com/products/wuque-titanium-switch-puller
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 July 2021, 08:37:28 by Volny »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 29 July 2021, 08:52:17 »
Honestly, I have owned quite a few "store-bought" pullers and my favorite was the Leopold, probably for no particular reason other than the name.

But in recent years the one that I have used 99% of the time is the one that I bent myself. The wire is the inner wire from a TV cable and the "handle" is a gob of hot glue.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 14 August 2021, 02:14:10 »
I have used 4 or 5 keycap pullers, and a few homemade ones; this one is by far the best one I have used.  It was purchased from Maxkeyboard and has their logo printed on it.  I can very easily slide it over a 1u keycap and very squarely secure it under opposing corners, holding only the very end of handle, and with no fiddling or manipulation.  This allows me to pull a keycap in about 2 seconds, and move down the row with each cap taking only 2-3 seconds.  Very fast and efficient. 

It is also great for removing modifier keycaps like a 2.75 Shift.  Slide one of the wires under a corner of the cap and with your fingers gently manipulate the other wire hook under the other corner.  The wires on this are longer and looser than others I have used which makes it very easy to use. Others are short and stiff and a pain to use- not very efficient at all, especially if you have over 100 keycaps to remove.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.