Author Topic: JTK Sophomore GB  (Read 67359 times)

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
Re: JTK Sophomore GB
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 16:46:43 »
I know that this buy is much bigger than just GH, but if in the future we can get geek hack novelties to match the sets that would be sick!

No pressure though.  I know there are more important things to do first.
Each set already has 2 Geekhack novelty 1U keys... One of each colour on the other
Whoa, I have no idea how I missed this.   :confused: :-[

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 17:04:26 »
I know that this buy is much bigger than just GH, but if in the future we can get geek hack novelties to match the sets that would be sick!

Each set already has 2 Geekhack novelty 1U keys... One of each colour on the other

they are in the original buy as well

I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 18:01:18 »

they are in the original buy as well
I honestly have no idea how I missed this the entire time.

Offline cwils0n

• twiggletwaggle
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 18:54:55 »
I decided not to jump on the first JT production, but I don't think I'll miss this one. 

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 18:56:15 »
I decided not to jump on the first JT production, but I don't think I'll miss this one.

Same, with the exception of a couple legend irregularities the first run looked to be of stellar quality.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 19:11:24 »
I would guess HHKB and RF compatible mx spacebars will be included in each of these sets too like last time? And will topre-mx sliders be available for purchase along side these also? Or will those just be put up on the CTRL ALT store once ready?
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 September 2015, 20:18:52 by Air tree »

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 21:34:22 »
That orange set looks a lot like SkiData+, so much so that I'm worried for Karura's and Ctrl-Alt cannibalizing each other's orders.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 23:03:46 »
watching...  can't miss another of these... 

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 00:48:37 »
That orange set looks a lot like SkiData+, so much so that I'm worried for Karura's and Ctrl-Alt cannibalizing each other's orders.

That's what I thought as well.

I have to say that I really doubt Skidata+ can reach MOQ now, because all the new members will turn to the set that is considerably cheaper...

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 01:09:09 »

That's what I thought as well.

I have to say that I really doubt Skidata+ can reach MOQ now, because all the new members will turn to the set that is considerably cheaper...

We will not have a problem, as long as we can retain the continuous support that the community has shown us  :)

There are quite a lot of differences between SKIDATA+ and this one, such as more compatibility support for different layouts, charcoal grey base keys instead of black, and German quality for example.
Someone who finds orange mods jarring might also prefer the OG Skidata colourway.

With the continuous support, I'm confident that SKIDATA+ will meet MOQ  :thumb:

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 01:14:57 »
German quality for example.

Not sure if you have been following all the extremely poor quality control at GMK recently , but.....

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 01:49:10 »

Not sure if you have been following all the extremely poor quality control at GMK recently , but.....

Yep, you raise a very good point! I've been very aware of the problems (especially with the legends), and have been at the forefront of investigating, having conducted some keyboard science of my own to reveal the problems:
Keyboard Science: SKIDATA+ Edition

The problems discovered have been brought up with GMK in hopes of preventing such problems for SKIDATA+, and with some luck and perseverance, we expect to see a very good batch.  :thumb:

Anyway, I digress... I'm really looking forward to the Orange/Black set as well, especially with those CS:GO keys!  ;D

No doubt, with dat spacebar, I will finally beat Vesper and reach Global Elite.  :p

Edit: I think the two sets would complement each other really well, if anyone wants to mix em.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 September 2015, 02:12:24 by Karura »

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 02:37:38 »

Yep, you raise a very good point! I've been very aware of the problems (especially with the legends), and have been at the forefront of investigating, having conducted some keyboard science of my own to reveal the problems:
Keyboard Science: SKIDATA+ Edition

The problems discovered have been brought up with GMK in hopes of preventing such problems for SKIDATA+, and with some luck and perseverance, we expect to see a very good batch.  :thumb:

Anyway, I digress... I'm really looking forward to the Orange/Black set as well, especially with those CS:GO keys!  ;D

No doubt, with dat spacebar, I will finally beat Vesper and reach Global Elite.  :p

Edit: I think the two sets would complement each other really well, if anyone wants to mix em.

Dunno about mixing them, as I would imagine that the shades of black/orange between the two sets would be different to some degree. Possibly not though.

Apart from that, I don't see much difference at all between the two sets, except for SKIDATA+ using symbols for mods and JTK using text. With the price of the JTK set to be likely around half of the cost of a GMK set, I can imagine that there will be people that were committed to SKIDATA who will now most likely be purchasing the JTK set.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 03:45:21 »
The whole point of mixing sets is that the shades have to be different. If you just make one set of orange mods and black alphas and the other the opposite way, the sets have no reason to exist individually!

Offline skrotnisse

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 03:46:30 »
Hi Bunnylake.

I already have the nostalgia keyset. Is it possible to just buy the 1.5x backspace to make the original set fit the HHKB for us SW3 dippers?

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 06:04:46 »
I really love JTK and want a set, but I don't think either of these designs are for me unfortunately. Was hoping to get in on the 2nd GB but I already have a Red Alert that I'm happy with and the orange is a little too much for my tastes. Coca Cola sure is interesting though  :))

Really love the doubtshot spacebars, some really awesome possibilities there, and the quality looks fantastic. Hoping for a bit more of an understated design for the 3rd round  :thumb:
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 06:24:13 »
I absolutely ADORE that coke layout. And doubleshot spacebars are SORELY needed. A definite buy for me.
The whole point of mixing sets is that the shades have to be different. If you just make one set of orange mods and black alphas and the other the opposite way, the sets have no reason to exist individually!

Its about whether the orange colors match up across the sets. If you want to be colorblind, go ahead, but most people think it would look bad.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 06:28:21 »
I absolutely ADORE that coke layout. And doubleshot spacebars are SORELY needed. A definite buy for me.

Its about whether the orange colors match up across the sets. If you want to be colorblind, go ahead, but most people think it would look bad.

Not only that, the keys will feel completely different because DCS Profile is considerably thinner than those JT keycaps.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 06:30:42 »
so ill briefly address these comments regarding the ski data set

firstly, my only knowledge of the set at all was seeing the occasional forum avatar, whilst i do keep a good eye on the gb threads, i rarely if ever frequent the IC section of gh, whilst this timing may not be perfect, the road map for jtk is planned out a very long time in advance, and these colors and sets were planned before we ever let anyone know jtk was a thing, and ive been teasing parts of this set to friends including the spacebars for probably 6 + months at this point

so whilst these sets do look similar in mockups, i was not inspired in any way by that gb, and was simply looking to rerun nostalgia in a different and superior profile to before, and give it a new spin

now what may make this situation slightly worse, is much like the last jtk gb, we will also be offering reverse mods, so you can have a full orange and black set

all that being said, whilst i think the mockups may end up looking very similar, i think the end aesthetic results of the sets will be very different

i also dont think there will be any issues in numbers, gmk sells itself and both sets will be hitting the market at a considerably different pricepoint

there will always be a market for a premium product like gmk, and i have no doubt that if the set was going to hit MOQ before this, then it certainly will have no issue in doing so now this is revealed

Offline just66in

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 07:10:42 »
Loving where JTK is going  :thumb:

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 07:43:58 »
Hi Bunnylake.

I already have the nostalgia keyset. Is it possible to just buy the 1.5x backspace to make the original set fit the HHKB for us SW3 dippers?
Or even a black HHKB topre style space bar as well? I wouldn't mind picking the double shot one up to use my nostalgia set on my HHKB? :3
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline Bigpock

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 08:12:44 »
I like the coke theme better than csgo, sick keysets anyways  :)

Offline neverused

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 09:12:57 »
Has the mystery buy been addressed already?

Also, just throwing this out there, but do you have licensing for these logos? It would be my thought that these companies may defend their brands and I don't want jtk to suffer. Just playing Devils advocate, I love the work being done.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 09:19:53 »

Also, just throwing this out there, but do you have licensing for these logos?

China?

Offline neverused

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 09:21:55 »

Also, just throwing this out there, but do you have licensing for these logos?

China?
Yeah but selling in the US. I don't know copyright law, I just want to check since they are doing awesome work and don't want some stupid company biting them in the ass.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 11:02:05 »

Also, just throwing this out there, but do you have licensing for these logos? It would be my thought that these companies may defend their brands and I don't want jtk to suffer. Just playing Devils advocate, I love the work being done.

its not my place to comment on the logos, they werent my choice, but i can say when running the gb, im not making any money at all from selling them, and they will remain completely seperate from being included in the keysets, and will be a separate pack in case any issues should arise 

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 11:12:30 »

its not my place to comment on the logos, they werent my choice, but i can say when running the gb, im not making any money at all from selling them, and they will remain completely seperate from being included in the keysets, and will be a separate pack in case any issues should arise

If you don't mind me asking Bunny, are the design choices a collaboration with JTK or do you tend to run your own respective designs? I'm guessing the orange and black is yours and maybe the red and orange white is JT's?

edit: herp derp
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 September 2015, 11:16:29 by swimmingbird »

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 11:41:16 »

If you don't mind me asking Bunny, are the design choices a collaboration with JTK or do you tend to run your own respective designs? I'm guessing the orange and black is yours and maybe the red and orange white is JT's?

so between my comment, this comment and a pm i got, i feel like i should elaborate a bit

i hope some people can read between the lines and work out what i can and cant say by how i say things

i do collaborate heavily with jtk

we speak and work at great lengths on the colour schemes and keys to be included etc, and what to add and when etc

we do all the art and mockups

i did not have input in the spacebars, aside from being asked for help with the designs

i do not agree with the use of copyright material, particularly for financial gain

however

at the end of the day, it is not my business, and this is what was wanted, its a very different culture

some of my feelings on what other users have done on this forum and in this community are very well documented, and whilst i agree legally there is little to no distinction to be made, i do think there is a big difference between someone making something using a logo for people to show there support or passion of a certain product or brand, in a field where they would otherwise not be able to, and stealing or copying something made and designed by somebody within our community

i do not make any money from these sets, and if i were to, i wouldnt be offering them, not that that makes a difference, but i do this work with jtk to help out a friend, and whilst i am facilitating the purchase of these sets, i only have so much control of the content, these are being offered and im extending that to the community

if this becomes a bigger issue, obviously i will take a look at what it happening here and the best course of action moving forward

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 11:46:28 »

so between my comment, this comment and a pm i got, i feel like i should elaborate a bit

i hope some people can read between the lines and work out what i can and cant say by how i say things

we speak and work at great lengths on the colour schemes and keys to be included etc, and what to add and when etc

i did not have input in the spacebars, aside from being asked for help with the designs

i do not agree with the use of copyright material, particularly for financial gain

however

at the end of the day, it is not my business, and this is what was wanted, its a very different culture

some of my feelings on what other users have done on this forum and in this community are very well documented, and whilst i agree legally there is little to no distinction to be made, i do think there is a big difference between someone making something using a logo for people to show there support or passion of a certain product or brand, in a field where they would otherwise not be able to, and stealing or copying something made and designed by somebody within our community

i do not make any money from these sets, and if i were to, i wouldnt be offering them, not that that makes a difference, but i do this work with jtk to help out a friend, and whilst i am facilitating the purchase of these sets, i only have so much control of the content, these are being offered and im extending that to the community

if this becomes a bigger issue, obviously i will take a look at what it happening here and the best course of action moving forward

Thanks Bunny - good to have that cleared up - I think some people (myself included) got the impression that the JTK sets run through ctrlalt were wholely ctrlaltdesigns and that JTK would run his own stuff himself

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 11:49:08 »

however

Thanks Bunny - good to have that cleared up - I think some people (myself included) got the impression that the JTK sets run through ctrlalt were wholely ctrlaltdesigns and that JTK would run his own stuff himself

im sure as it grows, there will be a lot more of that, but initially we have been working very closely together

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 11:50:32 »

however

im sure as it grows, there will be a lot more of that, but initially we have been working very closely together

Absolutely! The more people who get in on this the more molds and investment into other awesome things can happen  :thumb:

Offline neverused

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 12:00:47 »
I hope that it was not misunderstood that I was inferring that bunny was making any profit from these buys, especially from the deals with copywrite media.

We all appreciate the work that you and ctrl alt do.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 12:06:56 »
I hope that it was not misunderstood that I was inferring that bunny was making any profit from these buys, especially from the deals with copywrite media.

We all appreciate the work that you and ctrl alt do.

oh no

its just me over explaining what may be construed as a sensitive issue

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 12:14:13 »
Do we have to choose?

Also, you may want to be careful with the logos. It's unlikely, but if Coca Cola or Valve did decide to complain about the IP infringement, the legal costs would be catastrophic even though your infringement is trivial. I'm not saying it's right but just be careful. We want to see you guys producing caps for a long time to come!

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 12:19:51 »
Also, you may want to be careful with the logos. It's unlikely, but if Coca Cola or Valve did decide to complain about the IP infringement, the legal costs would be catastrophic even though your infringement is trivial. I'm not saying it's right but just be careful. We want to see you guys producing caps for a long time to come!

This is true, while it might not be a big deal when someone does a small run of like Dota-related artisan caps for instance, this is like a full manufacturing process and is subject to enough orders that I would seriously worry about copyright. Plus, if JTK got hit with a suit halfway through the production, they most likely would not be able to refund everyone. I don't want to be "that guy" and I know that you can't do anything Bunny, but I don't personally really feel safe joining this buy to be honest.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 12:23:27 »

This is true, while it might not be a big deal when someone does a small run of like Dota-related artisan caps for instance, this is like a full manufacturing process and is subject to enough orders that I would seriously worry about copyright. Plus, if JTK got hit with a suit halfway through the production, they most likely would not be able to refund everyone. I don't want to be "that guy" and I know that you can't do anything Bunny, but I don't personally really feel safe joining this buy to be honest.

well jtk is in china, so they cant go after them, so that isnt a reasonable concern

thats not me saying its right, but the scenario you mention is not one you have to worry about

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 12:25:15 »
Not sure if it was mentioned already but the profile is similar to Cherry?
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 September 2015, 12:28:28 by switchnollie »

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #87 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 12:26:01 »
Down for both, patiently waiting for a cherry profile nostalgia set my prayers answered :D

Will this GB have the option to add topre/Mx sliders like the first?
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 12:27:09 »
Down for both, patiently waiting for a cherry profile nostalgia set my prayers answered :D

Will this GB have the option to add topre/Mx sliders like the first?

the gb wont, however i have a very large amount of them arriving to me very soon, so they will be a regular store item

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 12:27:29 »
Not sure if it was mentioned already but the profile is similar to Cherry?

yeah cherry profile

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 13:06:50 »

You can rest easy, as large buys such as imsto/feng/holyoops have been breaking copyrights for years, and they are doing just fine  ^-^

Offline ika

« Reply #91 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 13:17:08 »
There's probably increased concern due to what happened with the Out Of the Vault GB, but that was SP (who is based in the US) being overly cautious and stopping the buy without explicit approval from Bethesda.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 13:19:30 »

You can rest easy, as large buys such as imsto/feng/holyoops have been breaking copyrights for years, and they are doing just fine  ^-^

ha didn't know that holyoops were not licensed to do that.... kind of funny that they risk it given that marvel/disney is probably very hawkish on the merchandise front

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 13:40:08 »
There's probably increased concern due to what happened with the Out Of the Vault GB, but that was SP (who is based in the US) being overly cautious and stopping the buy without explicit approval from Bethesda.

That was definitely due to them being based in the US.  They're actually held accountable to these laws, so they can't mess around with that.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #94 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 13:56:27 »
well jtk is in china, so they cant go after them, so that isnt a reasonable concern
My fears have been pretty much abated by the others in this thread, so I'm not worried about this actually happing, but just for future reference it's not true that being in China protects them. China is a member of WIPO and the Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property, and they also have a specific Memorandum of Understanding with the U.S. regarding the protection of copyrights, so if Coke wanted to sue they technically could, although I agree that there's literally zero chance of that happening.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #95 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 14:00:34 »
I think it's more a case of if Coca Cola bribes higher than the factory owners.

Offline agbockus

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 14:24:35 »
Mad I missed the purple and white, but red is my favorite color...but now I wish I had gotten a white HHKB! Haha I love these sets and thank you, seriously, for all you do!

Offline potatowire

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 14:51:28 »
In for all variants of both sets, but I probably won't buy the space bars. I would definitely buy ones with the CTRL[ALT] logo though!

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 15:02:12 »
As punks said I always loved the nostalgia set but a. It was before my time and b. I'm not head over heels about DCS and SP key thickness. To have something very similar in thick abs and cherry profile is freaking awesome.

@PD your new reaper and the new orange and black set are made for each other  :thumb:
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline SadisticReap

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 16:07:32 »
Really liking the red/white. Also any hint on what we get if we were apart of the first gb?