Author Topic: tiny's keycap crafting log // 30 key challenge [COMPLETED]  (Read 24864 times)

Offline tinymakesthings

• staytuned
    • Check out my stuff here!
tiny's keycap crafting log // 30 key challenge [COMPLETED]
« on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 11:34:45 »
30 Key Challenge:

Key #1
More

Key #2:
More

Key #3
More
Meet Mr. Raffy!

Key #4
More
Inspired by mobbo posting this video...
More

~Baby monkey, baby monkey, riding on a pig, baby monkey~

Key #5
More
I'll admit this chinchilla looks more like a rat than it does a chinchilla... Something about the head/nose shape wasn't quite there... But didn't want to spend too much time (this was already split into 2 days) as I'm trying to move fast and iterate! With that being said, meet Killa the Chinchilla (idk, was the first name that popped in my head)!

Key #6
More

Key #7
More
Gunter's eyes are a little derpy..

Key #8
More

Key #9
More
Lol so I tried to make Pascal from Tangled:

but I didn't try making the color accurate and the detail of his face were hard to implement...
The result is that he kinda looks like an angry .. turtle or something instead :P

Key #10
More
Getting the AT gang together:

And bonus pic of the AT crew together:

Key #11
More
Jake has a lot more detail/depth:

Key #12
More
Eager Beaver with some 'how you doing' eyebrows:

Key #13
More
Really fast (thus, messy) panda, may return to do a cleaner/fixed version:

Key #14
More
Home is where the heart is <3

He's a little bit chubbs, might have to remake a skinnier version so he doesn't bump elbows with his neighbors.

Key #15
More
I branched out a bit to make something a bit less cute.
Inspired by/made after the creature from the popular children's book (and now movie?) Where the Wild Things are

Key #16
More
Most people make faces (understandably so), but where's the love for butts??

Key #17
More

Key #18
More
Porkeypine! :3

Key #19
More
Spam musubkey (based off this cute pic)

Key #20
More

Keys #21-25
More

Key #26
More
Hamburger key!

Key #27
More

It's kinda hard to keep the dust out of the light clay so.. kinda looks like he's got some pubes between his eyes  :eek:

Key #28
More
Tree Trunks

Lookit that widdle bow tie on her tail OuO

Key #29
More
Lumpy Space Princess

Oh my glob. What the stuff are you doing?

Key #30
More
Monkey eating popcorn while watching a 3D movie (Idk, it was a request lol!)

This is my only Topre sculpt!

Original Post:
More
Hello!

I've been meaning to get around to posting for awhile now and never found the courage to do so. But I figured if I never posted them, I would never get feedback/advice on how to improve.

I really like the concept of creating your own designs for keycaps and am inspired by all the artisan keycap makers around here! I still have a lot to do, but I think it will do me (and perhaps others) good to start keeping a log of what I've done.

As a disclaimer, I have no artistic ability (at least not naturally) so my designs are definitely sub par.  I don't draw, paint, or anything like that. I'm wondering what I can do to improve sculpting capabilities but maybe just practice would be good to begin with!

I haven't had the time or resources to try resin casting (I have a lot to read up on for that to happen), but I have make a few prototypes of keycaps. I used Sculpey polymer clay on top of some lightly dyed PBT keycaps (light blue) that I bought secondhand from someone. They had to be PBT because I baked the caps in the oven and I think ABS might have melted.

So I know that there's like a whole category of polymer clay jewelry/keychains/etc. that people make really cute stuff for (you can search it on Etsy), but I was actually wondering how come no one does that for keycaps? I'd imagine the time might take a bit longer than using moulds but you can achieve some pretty nice details, and a lot more colors? Maybe someone experienced in this would know the answer. I think maybe if casting doesn't work out for me, maybe I'd just make personalized clay keycaps instead...

TL;DR - I'm a noob and here are some keycaps made with bake-able polymer clay.

With all that said, here are 3 of my "designs" so far (picture quality is using my phone, sorry):

Snowcap
115965-0
I actually feel like I could make these by hand probably better than casting? The snow cap effect is easily done with the clay and I'm not sure it's even clearly defined enough to make a mold. However, that means the height of it is probably is not as accurate if done by hand every time. Also, since it's white clay, it catches dust and other particles really easily. I was going to try and sand off a thin layer to see if that would make it better.

Keyster Island Cap
115967-1
The name is still.. pending lol. I know I don't have to make a pun in every name, but it's fun! We'll see if I keep this name. As you can see, I tried to do an Easter Island Maoi cap but it didn't turn out.. as good as I wanted it to? The statues have a much longer face length so I think squashing it into a square size sort of makes it not so great. I also had a lot of trouble with his lips.

Tikey
115969-2
Yeah, yeah, I know. There's a lot of something-key's (snackeys, cherokeys, chickeys?) around but I honestly thought of this on my own! I had made this cap for a few months, but never got around to posting it. I'm actually super proud of this one, as it came out to be pretty nice! I don't know if I can make this into a mold or not. And even so, the colors will be limited with casting I think.

Okay, that's it for now! Love to hear your thoughts, suggestions, critiques, anything!

P.S. I don't know if it's needed, but I'm going to reserve a few posts so I can try and keep this log updated at least on the first page so people don't have to go all the way through if they don't want to.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 January 2017, 18:26:34 by tinymakesthings »

Offline tinymakesthings

• staytuned
Re: tiny's keycap crafting log
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 11:35:06 »
Previous Sales:
More

« Last Edit: Wed, 18 January 2017, 18:57:24 by tinymakesthings »

Offline tinymakesthings

• staytuned
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 11:35:31 »
Reserved. Perhaps 2 is enough.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 11:51:44 »
Hello!

I've been meaning to get around to posting for awhile now and never found the courage to do so. But I figured if I never posted them, I would never get feedback/advice on how to improve.

I really like the concept of creating your own designs for keycaps and am inspired by all the artisan keycap makers around here! I still have a lot to do, but I think it will do me (and perhaps others) good to start keeping a log of what I've done.

As a disclaimer, I have no artistic ability (at least not naturally) so my designs are definitely sub par.  I don't draw, paint, or anything like that. I'm wondering what I can do to improve sculpting capabilities but maybe just practice would be good to begin with!

I haven't had the time or resources to try resin casting (I have a lot to read up on for that to happen), but I have make a few prototypes of keycaps. I used Sculpey polymer clay on top of some lightly dyed PBT keycaps (light blue) that I bought secondhand from someone. They had to be PBT because I baked the caps in the oven and I think ABS might have melted.

So I know that there's like a whole category of polymer clay jewelry/keychains/etc. that people make really cute stuff for (you can search it on Etsy), but I was actually wondering how come no one does that for keycaps? I'd imagine the time might take a bit longer than using moulds but you can achieve some pretty nice details, and a lot more colors? Maybe someone experienced in this would know the answer. I think maybe if casting doesn't work out for me, maybe I'd just make personalized clay keycaps instead...

TL;DR - I'm a noob and here are some keycaps made with bake-able polymer clay.

With all that said, here are 3 of my "designs" so far (picture quality is using my phone, sorry):

Snowcap
(Attachment Link)
I actually feel like I could make these by hand probably better than casting? The snow cap effect is easily done with the clay and I'm not sure it's even clearly defined enough to make a mold. However, that means the height of it is probably is not as accurate if done by hand every time. Also, since it's white clay, it catches dust and other particles really easily. I was going to try and sand off a thin layer to see if that would make it better.

Keyster Island Cap
(Attachment Link)
The name is still.. pending lol. I know I don't have to make a pun in every name, but it's fun! We'll see if I keep this name. As you can see, I tried to do an Easter Island Maoi cap but it didn't turn out.. as good as I wanted it to? The statues have a much longer face length so I think squashing it into a square size sort of makes it not so great. I also had a lot of trouble with his lips.

Tikey
(Attachment Link)
Yeah, yeah, I know. There's a lot of something-key's (snackeys, cherokeys, chickeys?) around but I honestly thought of this on my own! I had made this cap for a few months, but never got around to posting it. I'm actually super proud of this one, as it came out to be pretty nice! I don't know if I can make this into a mold or not. And even so, the colors will be limited with casting I think.

Okay, that's it for now! Love to hear your thoughts, suggestions, critiques, anything!

P.S. I don't know if it's needed, but I'm going to reserve a few posts so I can try and keep this log updated at least on the first page so people don't have to go all the way through if they don't want to.

Your sculpting ability is good. But when you start casting you may want to start w/ blanks because there's a lot to learn when you start casting and flat surfaces are easier to deal with.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 07:15:34 »
Not sure on the Keyster Island as, like you said, the cap is too square.

The Tikey looks really colourful but you're not going to be casting that many colours anytime soon, and with the headdress sticking out that much I'm not sure how you'd get the cap out of the mold without breaking something.  Perhaps a 3 part with the top as one, another for the sides and a third for the stem?  You'd get a mold line at the join then though...

For now I'd focus on the snowcap.  I like the idea of sculpting each one as they'd all be unique and there's no need for them to be exactly the same height - perfection isn't always a good thing in art (imagine a forest scene with one tree repeated 500 times...)  If the sanding doesn't work out maybe there's something you can coat it with to keep the dirt off?  No-one likes dirty snow :))

Also I think it would look even better on a grey cap as you'd have more contrast, and maybe SA so you have more height?

I'll be watching for updates :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 12:04:05 »
I actually really like the the Keyster Island cap!  I also feel that the tikey has a lot of potential.  This is just my opinion but maybe if you sculpted the features to look less round and gave the brown a woody texture it would look really good!  Sidenote:  has anybody made clay tops for keycaps like these, baked them separately from the keycap, then glued them on? I wonder how that would work...
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 04:58:54 »
That Snowcap is absolutely beautiful. I would love to see how it looks as a cap. Do you think you could recreate the famous Hokusai woodblock print Red Fuji? I'm sure that would look amazing.

Offline Fiery

• Click Clack Clock and a nice Thock
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 05:08:22 »
I really like this idea and as mentioned previously, doing all of them by hand will give them a unique look and feel. will be watching to see more progress. also I would want a snowcap :3
TP4 fanboy

Offline tinymakesthings

• staytuned
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 16:53:00 »
Apologies for bumping an old thread, but there's been progress (slow... but still there!).

For those that have sort of followed along, I followed up with a snowcap sale back in January-ish. But the snowcap itself was just the start and not the end product. It wasn't up to the standard that I think most people want for a keycap (got some criticism for literally baking clay on a cap to sell, and I totes understand that).

In the meantime, I've played around with some ideas and also have dabbled in a bit of resin casting (I'm so noob that it's not even worthy to post pics of my failure yet). I know I have a long way to go before reaching the likes of the OG artisans around here (and the new ones that have been doing superb jobs).

I know that sculpting is a really important part of the process and as someone who has no artistic background, I feel like the best way to improve is to keep practicing and do lots of it. This is why I'm here today with a new project, the 30 key challenge. Not sure if y'all have seen people doing a 30-day challenge, but it's very similar to that, except I changed it to 30 keys because I didn't want to be caught up in the time constraint in case anything happened (work, personal life, etc). However, I'm going to try and do these as fast as I can, so it might be close to 1-2 days per cap. Or more if I get tired.. I don't know :<

I have a set of white PBT caps that I'm just going to use the polymer clay (I have a sample of the colorful ones) to use on top. This isn't exactly sculpting since usually I'm just like putting pieces of clay to construct a bigger image (instead of carving into the clay) but I'll try sculpting with super sculpey as well as using the polymer clay.

And here's where you guys come in. I need ideas... and lots of them! Can be anything simple like a character from a show or anything crazy like ... a bird sitting on a dragon's back or something. If I like your idea and use it on a cap, I'll give you the opportunity to get the keycap (given that you actually like the end result). Because I'm still experimenting/learning, the quality of these keycaps are probably not the best, and as such, I wouldn't want to charge for them. Sooo as long as you are willing to pay the shipping (~$3 for first class and more if you want priority), I would be willing to send the cap to you :)

I have a couple of ideas in place, and I will try and post pictures when I have finished each cap (so there should be a total of 30 pics by the end of this).

TL;DR - Trying out a 30 key challenge to increase skills in working with clay. Any/all ideas for what to put on a keycap is welcome. If I use your idea and you'd like the end result, I will send it to you if you pay shipping!

I'll start off with what I made for Key #1:

« Last Edit: Sat, 09 April 2016, 19:35:04 by Tinymonkeyt »

Offline DvorakDachshund

Re: tiny's keycap crafting log // 30 key challenge
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 20:12:48 »
Reverse Key; it's like a fingertip poking out of the top of the keycap. Are you touching the key, or is it touching you?  :eek: It would essentially look like you're touching a mirror when you press it.

Black Widow Keycap: Iconic hourglass design perched on top, with the legs hanging down the sides of the key, pincers sticking out.

Offline tinymakesthings

• staytuned
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 18:09:31 »
Reverse Key; it's like a fingertip poking out of the top of the keycap. Are you touching the key, or is it touching you?  :eek: It would essentially look like you're touching a mirror when you press it.

Black Widow Keycap: Iconic hourglass design perched on top, with the legs hanging down the sides of the key, pincers sticking out.

Thanks for your suggestions! Coincidentally, there was actually a black widow in my room this morning and I killed it. I took it as a sign.

In remembrance of her, RIP.

Key #2:

Not sure how the legs will turn out after baking (I hope they don't break off). Certainly this is not really a functional key since you might break off the legs if you push the key o.o
@DvorakDachshund if you're interested in getting it, PM me and we can arrange that! I'm not quite sure if she'll make it through shipping though :/
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 April 2016, 19:35:22 by Tinymonkeyt »

Offline Fiery

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 03:59:03 »
That spider keycap looks really good! And scary (I don't like spiders lol)
TP4 fanboy

Offline tinymakesthings

• staytuned
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 11:20:53 »
Key #3

Meet Mr. Raffy!

Yes, I know that this keycap is not very functional and also fragile. It was an idea someone tossed out on a random reddit thread but I just thought it'd be fun to do! I have a feeling a lot of caps I'll make will not be functional but it's all for practice and I'm not planning on selling them as such.

I realize this might be spammy... so maybe I'll just post once every couple of caps but update my OP regularly :P

That spider keycap looks really good! And scary (I don't like spiders lol)
Yeah I myself was pretty disgusted and creeped out as I was making it hah.

Offline Fiery

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 16:13:00 »
I don't mind the daily posts. I think you should post them as you finish them as I think people will enjoy seeing them. Anyways keep up the good work  :thumb:
TP4 fanboy

Offline tinymakesthings

• staytuned
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 01:53:37 »
Key #4

« Last Edit: Fri, 22 April 2016, 22:32:33 by Tinymonkeyt »

Offline Fiery

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 02:03:00 »
That's awesome! and adorable  :D
TP4 fanboy

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 12:49:17 »
Mmm can we get a chinchilla :D?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HHKB Pro 1| Poker 2(MX Browns)| Leopold FC200R (MX Blue)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yup, that tasted purple" -Lulu

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138889771@N05/

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 16:44:53 »
Really nice attempts! What plastic are those? Fingers crossed it is PBT..
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 17:10:58 »
Key #4
More

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

you're a dream maker, tiny.

a dream maker.
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline Bithor

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 13:50:01 »
That monkey cap is awesome

Offline biocalves

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 13:56:51 »
Looking great! I tried my hand at sculpting some stuff for fun but it turned out to be a disaster. Keep it up.

Offline tinymakesthings

• staytuned
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 11:25:46 »
Yup! They're PBT. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to bake the result which would be raw/moldable clay on a keycap = no bueno.

Looking great! I tried my hand at sculpting some stuff for fun but it turned out to be a disaster. Keep it up.
Thanks! :) The stuff you see here is probably some of my better stuff. There are definitely disasters I'm not showing haha... I've only had a little bit of experience so far, but you should keep trying! Practice really does make perfect, and I'm learning that I'm going to have a lot of failures and duds and mess ups before I make decent stuff.

Key #5
I'll admit this chinchilla looks more like a rat than it does a chinchilla... Something about the head/nose shape wasn't quite there... But didn't want to spend too much time (this was already split into 2 days) as I'm trying to move fast and iterate! With that being said, meet Killa the Chinchilla (idk, was the first name that popped in my head)!

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 11:29:43 »
Yup! They're PBT. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to bake the result which would be raw/moldable clay on a keycap = no bueno.

Thanks! :) The stuff you see here is probably some of my better stuff. There are definitely disasters I'm not showing haha... I've only had a little bit of experience so far, but you should keep trying! Practice really does make perfect, and I'm learning that I'm going to have a lot of failures and duds and mess ups before I make decent stuff.

Key #5
Show Image

Show Image

It's an adorable rodent, that's what it is.  :thumb:

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 11:31:54 »

Key #5
Show Image

Show Image

Let's see a white fox next!  I've considered making one myself but I'm thinking yours would be way more adorable.

Offline DvorakDachshund

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 17:37:42 »
Not sure if the idea is novel or not, but I was thinking about the different sports balls and how they would be a much more widely appealing type of cap. So make the cap look like a soccer ball, volleyball, football, rugby ball, 8-Ball (from pool), etc. I'm not sure how round you could get things and still have the cap be functional, might have to file down the corners or something.

Offline tinymakesthings

• staytuned
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 12:05:54 »
Catching up on some keys:

Key #6

Key #7

Key #8

Let's see a white fox next!  I've considered making one myself but I'm thinking yours would be way more adorable.
Noted!

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 14:14:21 »

Key #6
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Key #7
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Key #8
Show Image

Show Image

Noted!

Second penguin is nice!

Offline biocalves

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 15:43:10 »

Key #6
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Key #7
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Key #8
Show Image

Show Image

Noted!

I need the #8 in my life. Looking good!

How about Lady Rainicorn from Adventure Time for your next piece?
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 April 2016, 16:22:07 by biocalves »

Offline tinymakesthings

• staytuned
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 16:59:51 »
How about Lady Rainicorn from Adventure Time for your next piece?
Haha, it's on my list of AT characters to do already :)

Offline tinymakesthings

• staytuned
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 17:24:22 »
Not sure if the idea is novel or not, but I was thinking about the different sports balls and how they would be a much more widely appealing type of cap. So make the cap look like a soccer ball, volleyball, football, rugby ball, 8-Ball (from pool), etc. I'm not sure how round you could get things and still have the cap be functional, might have to file down the corners or something.
Balls are hard...

.. To create I mean! Because of the easily smushable nature of the clay I'm using. I think it also might create a clearance issue with the neighboring cap? I'll look into it, thanks for the suggestion!

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 17:26:40 »
Balls are hard...

.. To create I mean! Because of the easily smushable nature of the clay I'm using. I think it also might create a clearance issue with the neighboring cap? I'll look into it, thanks for the suggestion!

Offline JT_Sea

• Um hi
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 07:56:16 »
Love the beemo key! Keep up the good work.

Offline tinymakesthings

• staytuned
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 12:50:55 »
Key #9
Lol so I tried to make Pascal from Tangled:

but I didn't try making the color accurate and the detail of his face were hard to implement...
The result is that he kinda looks like an angry .. turtle or something instead :P

Practice makes perfect I suppose!

Offline biocalves

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 18:39:58 »
The right eyeball and the surrounding socket look great!

How about some of the characters from Zootopia? The other half would love to see a Judy Hopps.

Offline tinymakesthings

• staytuned
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 12:12:24 »
Playing catchup:

Key #10
Getting the AT gang together:

Jake has a lot more detail/depth:
Key #11

Key #12
Eager Beaver with some 'how you doing' eyebrows:

Key #13
Really fast (thus, messy) panda, may return to do a cleaner/fixed version:

And bonus pic of the AT crew together:

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 23:00:16 »
The adventure time ones are so adorable, please cast these :D
Didn't notice my personal messages have been disabled for those thinking you have been blocked - to contact please reach out through Facebook messages or support email!
WEB: https://rama.works/
STORE: https://ramaworks.store/
INSTA: @ramaworks
FB: ramaworks

Offline Kenda

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 20:57:32 »
That spider keycap is awesome bro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tinymakesthings

• staytuned
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 13:42:59 »
Updates!
Apologies to the 2 people that are actually following my progress because I haven't updated in a while. I've still been working on things! Just slowly. Life's been a little hectic but I find this artistic endeavor to be a nice break.

With that said, here's something I've been working on:

Sushkeys!!
(I know these can be more specific as sashimkeys aka sashimkeys but that didn't sound as nice as sushkeys)

^I think these are pre-baked

^Baked and glazed (it made it darker so I might have to remedy that by making it lighter before baking)

On a keyboard!

I may have a small sale if people are interested in buying some sushkeys towards the end of my challenge ^_^ I know they're not like.. resin casted but they'll be cheap because it's clay! Not sure if this counts as key #14 or #14-#18 though...

Also, in other related news, I have been kinda working on a resin casted version of a previous baked keycap. Here's a (blurry) sneak preview:

I have a couple of tweaks and adjustments that need to be made so it won't be at the level of quality I want it to be at for awhile. Need to get some proper equipment too :P

Again, thanks for those that have followed along, I have ways to go to hone my skills but hopefully making some progress :)

Offline N3RDLY

• G33k.works
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 13:50:03 »
Updates!
Apologies to the 2 people that are actually following my progress because I haven't updated in a while. I've still been working on things! Just slowly. Life's been a little hectic but I find this artistic endeavor to be a nice break.

Sushkeys!!
(I know these can be more specific as sashimkeys aka sashimkeys but that didn't sound as nice as sushkeys)

Show Image

Show Image

^Baked and glazed (it made it darker so I might have to remedy that by making it lighter before baking)

Show Image

On a keyboard!

I may have a small sale if people are interested in buying some sushkeys towards the end of my challenge ^_^ I know they're not like.. resin casted but they'll be cheap because it's clay! Not sure if this counts as key #14 or #14-#18 though...

Also, in other related news, I have been kinda working on a resin casted version of a previous baked keycap. Here's a (blurry) sneak preview:
Show Image

I have a couple of tweaks and adjustments that need to be made so it won't be at the level of quality I want it to be at for awhile. Need to get some proper equipment too :p

Again, thanks for those that have followed along, I have ways to go to hone my skills but hopefully making some progress :)

Omgooosh these are my favorite of yours to date. These are wonderful. I'd love to see a full series with more options :D

Offline biocalves

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 13:59:29 »
Updates!

Sushkeys!!

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

On a keyboard!

Show Image

I have a couple of tweaks and adjustments that need to be made so it won't be at the level of quality I want it to be at for awhile. Need to get some proper equipment too :P

These are adorable. I was actually practicing making sushi with super sculpey firm myself at home but yours looks way cuter!

Offline linkshine

• * Destiny Supporter
  • If you wanna b my lover, u gotta get w/ my friends
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 14:10:58 »
Ooooooh girl u killin it

*high five

Nice work!

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 14:15:35 »
I may have a small sale if people are interested in buying some sushkeys...

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 14:53:19 »
These are really creative, especially the sushkeys. That eager beaver is definitely looking for a good time. Can't wait to see additional progress!

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 14:27:16 »
Damn boo.
Ill be really impressed if you can cast those sushkeys with the striping and err thang. those would sell like hot cakes.

limited batches.
many varieties.
wait time.

just like real sushi.

Offline tinymakesthings

• staytuned
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 12:12:32 »
Home is where the heart is <3
Key #14

He's a little bit chubbs, might have to remake a skinnier version so he doesn't bump elbows with his neighbors.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 12:55:43 »
Still your tongue and grasp my funds.

Offline shibataken

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 21:23:37 »
Maybe a starship cap!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 21:37:19 »
That black widow keycap is too realistic for me :eek:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tinymakesthings

• staytuned
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 13:04:08 »
Maybe a starship cap!
lol.. oh you... You'll never let me forget I said that huh? Well, it's not a bad idea actually...

That black widow keycap is too realistic for me :eek:
Haha, it creeps me out too.

Key #15
I branched out a bit to make something a bit less cute. Thanks for the suggestion mobbo!
Inspired by/made after the creature from the popular children's book (and now movie?) Where the Wild Things are

Offline JT_Sea

• Um hi
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 14:41:54 »
I've been enjoying watching all these awesome caps come through, but this wild thing is my favorite so far.

Keep up the good work!