Author Topic: ABCD Stright Keyboard concept  (Read 2640 times)

Offline seanpeery

ABCD Stright Keyboard concept
« on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 17:27:48 »
So I've never been a fan of modern keyboard concepts. So I've drawn up a simple ABCD (ab-ka-da) keyboard, however, I have no idea how to turn this into a reality.
I have a basic understanding of how to create electronics, however, I'm lost at how to get a PCB the parts printed and how to assemble them and the keys as well as designing a micro-controller that will translate the keystrokes to a computer.
Attached is one of my concept drawings in FreeCAD labeled Key Board (1mm Spacing).FCStd
It's a really overwhelming task to think about drafting everything together to make a prototype, I half want to just commission someone or a company to build/wire/program it and have a functioning version of it, but I have no idea how to go about that.
Any suggestions on how to put something like this together or any suggestions on a person or company that could?

I've generated a KLE example, however Swillkb's seems to not be able to create the function key positions right. Any idea how to create this in a way that would work for it and get the same design?
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 April 2016, 10:17:41 by seanpeery »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: ABCD Stright Keyboard concept
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 02:14:10 »
I'm on mobile so can't see your design, but the easiest way to make a custom keyboard is to make it on here, run that through Swill's awesome plate converter site (thread in this section) for a known good CAD file you can send off to get cut, then hand wire the switches to a Teensy or similar.

If you're careful it's not as hard as it sounds, though if it's a big board it will get tedious :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 April 2016, 02:59:36 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 02:21:53 »
Take any keyboard. Set up a custom layout, done. You do not even need hardware. Though, if you have, say DSA keycaps, you can rearrange them (and change the layout in software).

Offline seanpeery

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 10:12:33 »
Take any keyboard. Set up a custom layout, done. You do not even need hardware. Though, if you have, say DSA keycaps, you can rearrange them (and change the layout in software).
I included the drawing to show the subtle differences between it and standard keyboards. It's not just the layout, it's the shape, key sizing, number of keys and the fact that it's entirely in metric. Even the Swilly's doesn't understand how to create a key layout for the function keys with the KLE design I created based off my original, Which I'll add to my original post.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 12:21:01 »
You can't have keys that small so not surprised Swill's tool is failing!

Cherry MX have to be 1x1 and Alps/Matias switches can do 1x0.75, but you need room for the keycap to fit over the switch when you press it so the 0.75x0.5 you've got is not going to work.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod