Author Topic: Help needed with spacebar  (Read 2219 times)

Offline mseaworthy

Help needed with spacebar
« on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 17:02:01 »
Ideas for Bending Spacebar Stabilizer Wire
Wondering if I could get some tips for bending a spacebar stabilizer for an Alps64 with the Hacker layout. Specifically, with the stabilizers I have created with just pliars, they are too loose or so tight they require 10x normal force to actuate the switch.

Currently I have a stabilizer wire that functions with normal actuation force but it is too loose and it knocks against the front lip of my case making a racket.

The cutouts are traditional Alps clips located around the very front of the plate. With this being the Hacker layout, the only spacebar that works is the very rare 6u spacebar in DSA profile from pimpmykeyboards.com. While the center stem is a traditional Alps stem, the mounts connecting to the stabilizer clips are Cherry type connections (not the same as the AEK mounts).

Furthermore, the Cherry clips on the bottom of the spacebar are not located at the far outer sides of the spacebar like most spacebars—they are located about a half inch nearer in toward the center. So the top wings of the wire stabilizer need to return back a little farther.

I have a wire bending jig coming in the mail so hopefully I will be able to make more precise bends in the corners, but I’m looking for any advice for getting that ideal state of stabilizer where it eliminates the wobble but doesn’t require any additional pressure to press. Where are the points of leverage or differentiation? Is that in how deep you make it? Your help is greatly appreciated.

136203-0136205-1136207-3

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Help needed with spacebar
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 17:11:33 »
This would be the semi-professional way to do it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jewellery-making-Wire-Bender-Bending-Rounding-Shaping-Jig-Tool-Craft-/301579965015?hash=item4637911257:g:Tq0AAOSwfcVUD1ga

Without spending money, it is a matter of getting multiple tools including pliers (needle-nosed, lineman's, locking, etc) and just the right spindle to bend the subject around. Those, a vice, and an extra hand or 2 might also be helpful.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline mseaworthy

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 18:32:08 »
Thanks, fohat. I have a jig very similar to that on the way. But I think that a lack of precision is only one of my challenges. I don't know what to tweak to correct a given a certain shortcoming. For example, I need to draw the spacebar up a millimeter or two to keep it from hitting the case. Intuitively it seems I should make the height shorter, but is that the reason some of my stabilizers bind?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 20:10:28 »
I really don't know. I once bought some parts from Mechanical Keyboards.com that worked fine for a Filco or a Ducky, but they were not for a keyboard like yours (whatever that is).
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"