Author Topic: I have to build a keyboard, but which PCB?  (Read 4272 times)

Offline SKD

• * Vendor
I have to build a keyboard, but which PCB?
« on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 17:16:21 »
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 September 2023, 06:20:47 by SKD »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: I have to build a keyboard, but which PCB?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 18:00:54 »
The official GH60 doesn't have backlighting so that's not an option.

The rest of your requirements are pretty basic and covered by any PCB advertised as backlit and programmable, all except the layer indicator.  You might be able to do it in TMK too but I know you can set an indicator LED to blink the number of times appropriate to the layer in EasyAVR, so you're looking for a board with an ATMega controller chip with a compatible bootloader (not Gon or Winkeyless.kr) so much as I hate to recommend a knock-off the GH60 Satan seems to be your best option.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline SKD

• * Vendor
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 03:33:11 »
Had a quick play with AVR, seems pretty intuitive. I'm absolutely a noob at building keyboards, I see in the menu of AVR there's a build firmware option. What else do I need to flash it to the Satan if I wash rotting that? I might as well prepare all the software stuff now lol.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 04:16:07 »
Built in flashing was added recently for Windows but there's no documentation yet and I use Linux so not sure what's needed.

This post has a process for flashing the Satan, again I've not tried it but it looks good.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline SKD

• * Vendor
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 15:22:06 »
Sweet thank you! I'm going to look into the Satan a bit more.

I've looked through the steps to flash it, seems pretty straight forward. Probably not when I actually get to it lol.

Offline SKD

• * Vendor
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 07:59:53 »
Quick question about the Satan pcb. Can I use cherry rgb switches with SMD LEDs on the Satan pcb? I still want a cherry red board and if my question is possible then I'll have to cancel my zealio order and get rgb cherry reds instead.
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 May 2016, 11:27:09 by SKD »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 11:56:58 »
There are no in switch RGB LED compatible PCBs available for a build yet, neither SMD or through hole. The satan is designed for single colour through hole.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 12:50:38 »
If you're in the US you could always pick up one of the 60% SPRiT PCB's from mechanicalkeyboards.com
They use the PS2AVR firmware (Winkeyless) and the bootmapper client to support remapping.

Offline SKD

• * Vendor
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 14:13:08 »
There are no in switch RGB LED compatible PCBs available for a build yet, neither SMD or through hole. The satan is designed for single colour through hole.

Hmm. What about the NerD 60 Ver2.0? http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/pcbs-and-controllers/113-nerd-60-ver20-pcb.html

That can use SMD LEDs (single colour)? I may have read it wrong somewhere but the RGB cherry switches are just clear housing for LEDs under the switch and they don't actually contain a LED inside?

If you're in the US you could always pick up one of the 60% SPRiT PCB's from mechanicalkeyboards.com
They use the PS2AVR firmware (Winkeyless) and the bootmapper client to support remapping.

I'm in UK, I'll probably have to order from a US site anyway. UK sucks for a lot of things and keyboard PCBs is one of them lol.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 15:58:09 »
The switches may well work, but they aren't RGB switches if they don't come with LEDs - damn marketing departments :))

Aside from Gon's questionable business practices I'm pretty sure you won't get your flashing layer number indicator with his keymapper, but feel free to watch all the video manuals and correct me!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline SKD

• * Vendor
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 16:25:45 »
The switches may well work, but they aren't RGB switches if they don't come with LEDs - damn marketing departments :))

Aside from Gon's questionable business practices I'm pretty sure you won't get your flashing layer number indicator with his keymapper, but feel free to watch all the video manuals and correct me!

Oh, what business practice are we talking about here? I have heard of Gon before but not what he's done that questionable since I'm still pretty new!

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 16:35:07 »

Oh, what business practice are we talking about here? I have heard of Gon before but not what he's done that questionable since I'm still pretty new!

Some people have been waiting 1+ years for their stuff due to his backlog.. the SMD leds you can use are for case lighting on the bottom of the pcb on the gons 60 pcb, not for in switch lighting which I think is what you're talking about.

Offline SKD

• * Vendor
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 18:01:31 »
Oh wow I've never come across that. But was that just for custom jobs or even for people who just ordered a PCB or some other part?

I don't need case lighting so I guess I'm back to the Satan PCB. I really wanted clear top cherry red switches so the in switch LED light spreads more than black top switches :(

Offline SKD

• * Vendor
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 06:39:30 »
Alright. I've ordered the Satan pcb, switches, plate and everything else! I can't wait to start building!!!

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 07:12:29 »
Hey man,

Leandren just ran a GB on the gon 60% pcb's.
You might want to check if he has a few left.

Offline SKD

• * Vendor
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 07:17:57 »
Too late! Satan ordered, no going back. Plus the Satan is cheaper.