Author Topic: 60% Keyboard PCB  (Read 24728 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: 60% Keyboard PCB
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 23:21:57 »
I don't think the original GH60 has support for that layout https://geekhack.org/?topic=34959.0 .
Now that I see it it's very interesting.

For BIOS support you don't have to worry, it works. I have it with TMK and no problems

GH60 should support that layout -- it uses the two outermost key positions from the 1.25-1.25-1.25-6.25-1.25-1.25-1.25-1.25 bottom row, and the innermost key positions from the 1.5-1-1.5-7-1.5-1-1.5 bottom row. 1.5-1 takes up the same physical space as 1.25-1.25, and I believe the logical key positions of the two outermost modifiers are the same regardless of which of those two configurations is used. It's not common, so it's not listed explicitly, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I will give it a try with a GH60 from techkeys, I do not need backlighting and I want my board to be fully compatible with my BIOS, so I will explore that option. One last question: Does the GH60 have support for in switch LEDs? I may want at least the Caps Lock.

It has pads for LEDs. I'm not sure exactly how they are wired up, but if you only want caps lock it should be possible to make things work. I'd need to take a look at the electrical layout of the board to be certain though.

Thank you, your feedback is well appreciated.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 23:36:16 »
I don't think the original GH60 has support for that layout https://geekhack.org/?topic=34959.0 .
Now that I see it it's very interesting.

For BIOS support you don't have to worry, it works. I have it with TMK and no problems

GH60 should support that layout -- it uses the two outermost key positions from the 1.25-1.25-1.25-6.25-1.25-1.25-1.25-1.25 bottom row, and the innermost key positions from the 1.5-1-1.5-7-1.5-1-1.5 bottom row. 1.5-1 takes up the same physical space as 1.25-1.25, and I believe the logical key positions of the two outermost modifiers are the same regardless of which of those two configurations is used. It's not common, so it's not listed explicitly, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I will give it a try with a GH60 from techkeys, I do not need backlighting and I want my board to be fully compatible with my BIOS, so I will explore that option. One last question: Does the GH60 have support for in switch LEDs? I may want at least the Caps Lock.

It has pads for LEDs. I'm not sure exactly how they are wired up, but if you only want caps lock it should be possible to make things work. I'd need to take a look at the electrical layout of the board to be certain though.

Thank you, your feedback is well appreciated.

Just took a quick glance at the layout: the LED pads are intended for use as full matrix backlighting through the use of an expansion module. My best guess is that if you're only wiring a single LED into the matrix (eg. to act as a caps lock indicator), you can just solder a current-limiting resistor between one of the pins on the expansion header and the matrix input. You could also repurpose the WASD backlighting zone that does not require the use of the expansion header, and reposition the LED using jumper wires, either into the caps lock switch or elsewhere on your case.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 01:59:54 »
GH60 supports LED on Caps, WASD, Poker Arrows and Fn, you just have to solder the resistors, there are pads on the PCB for the resistors. These are the normal type 470ohm resistors :

If you look in this picture you can see the resistor pads (for example on WASD they are marked W,A,S,D):
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 June 2016, 02:01:35 by DanielT »
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline hexmonkey

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 11:05:44 »
Since there's good discussion going on here I think a comparison table would be good - corrections, blank fills and missing PCBs appreciated.  Might make a good sticky?

PCB  BacklightingFirmware   UnderglowISORight shift optionsRoHS
B.face (Winkeyless)  Single colour  ps2avrU  1 colour top, RGB bottom  Yes   2.75, 1.75-1 
B.face X2 (Winkeyless)  Single colour  ps2avrU  RGB top & bottom   Yes   2.75, 1.75-1 
FaceW (Sprit)   Single colourps2avrU  Yes (unknown)Yes2.75, 1.75-1   
GH60 (GB)Not yet   EasyAVR / TMK   No   Yes   2.75, 1.75-1, 1-1.75   Yes
GH60 (Techkeys)Not yet   EasyAVR / TMK   No   Yes   2.75, 1.75-1, 1-1.75   Yes
GH60 Satan   Single colour  EasyAVR / TMK   No   Yes   2.75, 1.75-1, 1-1.75   Yes
KC60   Single colour   EasyAVR / TMK   No   No   2.75, 1.75-1, 1-1.75   
NerD60 ver2.0 (Gon)   Single colourNerDy GUI   Single colour on sidesYes2.75, 1.75-1   

QMK supports underglow on KC60:

https://github.com/jackhumbert/qmk_firmware

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 11:13:48 »
It is really hard for me to understand why under lighting could be that important for some, what is the functionality of lighting in a board? besides some visual clues for lock functions?

Offline hexmonkey

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 11:32:33 »
It is really hard for me to understand why under lighting could be that important for some, what is the functionality of lighting in a board? besides some visual clues for lock functions?

"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." - William Morris

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 11:38:19 »
Since there's good discussion going on here I think a comparison table would be good - corrections, blank fills and missing PCBs appreciated.  Might make a good sticky?

PCB  BacklightingFirmware   UnderglowISORight shift optionsRoHS
B.face (Winkeyless)  Single colour  ps2avrU  1 colour top, RGB bottom  Yes   2.75, 1.75-1 
B.face X2 (Winkeyless)  Single colour  ps2avrU  RGB top & bottom   Yes   2.75, 1.75-1 
FaceW (Sprit)   Single colourps2avrU  Yes (unknown)Yes2.75, 1.75-1   
GH60 (GB)Not yet   EasyAVR / TMK   No   Yes   2.75, 1.75-1, 1-1.75   Yes
GH60 (Techkeys)Not yet   EasyAVR / TMK   No   Yes   2.75, 1.75-1, 1-1.75   Yes
GH60 Satan   Single colour  EasyAVR / TMK   No   Yes   2.75, 1.75-1, 1-1.75   Yes
KC60   Single colour   EasyAVR / TMK   No   No   2.75, 1.75-1, 1-1.75   
NerD60 ver2.0 (Gon)   Single colourNerDy GUI   Single colour on sidesYes2.75, 1.75-1   

QMK supports underglow on KC60:

https://github.com/jackhumbert/qmk_firmware

Thanks, I'll fix that :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 11:57:57 »

Show Image

Why isn't every outfit in my closet the same? Why isn't every shirt I own plain and white? What is the functionality of having different colored/patterned shirts or graphic tees? For looks. For fun. It makes life interesting.

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 12:36:09 »
Where does the zeal60 pcb fit in this picture?

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 13:05:31 »

Premium quality pcb, fully programmable with QMK, is only PCB with per-switch RGB LED's at the moment*, ISO compatible,Split backspace compatible, Short R-Shift compatible.

Not sure if it has underglow rgb as well.

*There is some taobao PCBs with RGB per switch but they are not fully programmable and there is lots of unknowns about them at the moment which is why I say this

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 13:16:40 »

Premium quality pcb, fully programmable with QMK, is only PCB with per-switch RGB LED's at the moment*, ISO compatible,Split backspace compatible, Short R-Shift compatible.

*There is some taobao PCBs with RGB per switch but they are not fully programmable and there is lots of unknowns about them at the moment which is why I say this

Does the support for per-switch RGB LEDs worth doubling the price for an sixty PCB?

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 13:20:59 »

Does the support for per-switch RGB LEDs worth doubling the price for an sixty PCB?
All based on the end users opinion I guess.

As someone who doesn't really care for rgb that much I wouldn't be able to justify it, but for some I get it.

Also have to keep in mind it's the first 60 with this feature, anything with new tech in it always has a markup like that associated with it.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 13:38:34 »

All based on the end users opinion I guess.

As someone who doesn't really care for rgb that much I wouldn't be able to justify it, but for some I get it.

Also have to keep in mind it's the first 60 with this feature, anything with new tech in it always has a markup like that associated with it.

I concur with your point of view. Personally, I do not use LEDs, so those features are not relevant for my decisions for purchasing boards nor parts. Extremely high prices are more related with a marketing strategy to send a message of exclusivity, which seems to be the case with Z's products.