geekhack Community > Input Devices

Modern mouse that uses AA batteries?

<< < (2/6) > >>

tp4tissue:
Logitech G305, arguably second greatest mouse ever.

jamster:
Logitech M221 (silent) does, so I assume a slew of rest of the cheapo Logitechs do as well. I have one in front of me.

I far prefer AA. I can use easily replaceable rechargeables instead of worry about having to replace with lithiums down the line.

(My usual mouse is an MX Anywhere 2S, which is great. Lithium-based, but that's something I am willing to live with for the rest of the mouse.)

_rubik:

--- Quote from: noway on Sun, 26 September 2021, 23:33:12 ---
--- Quote from: _rubik on Sun, 26 September 2021, 15:22:43 ---Just out of curiosity, why the AA battery constraint?

--- End quote ---

Have a whole bunch of Eneloop batteries and chargers already and AA are very easy and free of charge (for me) to replace after they die.  I'll have a look at the G305.  Thanks.

--- End quote ---

Very valid reason. I have a few eneloops kicking around for Gameboys -- pretty solid as far as AAs go

--- Quote from: Leslieann on Mon, 27 September 2021, 03:14:25 ---I wouldn't trust any wireless, especially low end and AA batteries other than Logitech.

--- End quote ---

Can I ask what you mean by trust? You mean from a reliability standpoint or security(?) standpoint?

--- Quote from: Leslieann on Mon, 27 September 2021, 03:14:25 ---All that said..
Get a Logitech Anywhere or Master, yes, they use an internal battery, but it will last over a month on a single charge, and 5 minutes of charge will get you another hour. I get you want to use your batteries, but your kicking yourself in the head by doing so. I liked all of these mice, but I rock a G900 on desktop and Anywhere on laptop. The batteries are just a hassle, get one of these and a magnetic Netdot 10 charging cable to act as a dock and call it done. You will be much happier.

--- End quote ---

Couldn't agree more. I've been using the Logi Master and Ergo for a few years now and have never felt the need to replace them. I have Glorious Model O just for gaming which I hardly use anymore, and even that is bleh in comparison to the master (for productivity work)

jamster:
Slight tangent here- has anyone compared the older MX Anywhere/Master 2S with the Anywhere/Master 3?

The clutched scroll wheel of the 3 appears to be the selling point, but when I've tried demos, they either don't work, or when in the free-spin mode, they generate too much noise (like something is rubbing).

They feel a bit cheaper (to me), the wheel doesn't feel as good, so I am wondering- am I missing something here?

This thread has just made me realise that I should buy another Anywhere 2S as they are on sale now, and I want a backup to my main mouse. It's the best wireless mouse I've owned. Not perfect (BT sucks when connecting to my Thinkpad) but still the best overall.

Leslieann:

--- Quote from: _rubik on Mon, 27 September 2021, 11:36:28 ---Can I ask what you mean by trust? You mean from a reliability standpoint or security(?) standpoint?

--- End quote ---
Everyone else has connection problems, reliability problems, sleep problems etc..
Logitech spends a lot on testing and it shows when their cheapest wireless mice work better than mice costing 6, 7 or 8x as much.

There are exceptions though, Microsoft bluetooth is as good as Logitech bluetooth but I don't think either is as good as the logitech wireless dongle. They just have the tech dialed. My Anywhere 2 has a better connection with the dongle, less miss-clicks, less lag, less interference, etc... The dongle always works, bluetooth, not so much. And this is for any OS, Windows, Mac or Linux.

--- Quote from: jamster on Tue, 28 September 2021, 00:57:04 ---This thread has just made me realise that I should buy another Anywhere 2S as they are on sale now, and I want a backup to my main mouse. It's the best wireless mouse I've owned. Not perfect (BT sucks when connecting to my Thinkpad) but still the best overall.
--- End quote ---
That's a bluetooth problem in general, there's many protocols and many implementations.
Have to remember, bluetooth was intended to be low power and ease of use, lag and reliability took a back seat. It's been improved but it's a rather loose standard whereas Logitech wireless is proprietary and they control all of it so they can ensure it works as intended and doesn't need to be compatible for 200 other manufacturers.  Even HP and Apple have issues with bluetooth, High Sierra had major issues and they never did solve it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version