geekhack Marketplace > Interest Checks

[IC] DvZ's Dirt Cheap Storage Trays

(1/9) > >>

DevilZmods:
Introducing DvZ's Dirt Cheap Keycap Trays

Hi, I'm DevilZmods, an Industrial Design student from Germany and I've been part of the community for almost two years now. Today I want to present my design for an affordable keycap storage tray.

Imgur Album: https://imgur.com/a/hrZ4DIS

Interest Check Form: https://forms.gle/6PmPo5EtTwiJm9cP7

Discuss on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/r5stqr/ic_dvzs_dirt_cheap_storage_trays/

Estimated Price: 15$

With JTK keycap tray availability dwindling and basically no alternative around I've been looking into getting a custom sorting box made. These sorting boxes can be molded in a single operation, thanks to their living hinge design. If you can offset the mold cost, they get very cheap to manufacture.

The Tray will be transparent and stackable with an interior grid to fit an entire basekit plus spacebars, novelties etc.. It will not be as rigid as a Polycarbonate Tray, but very durable nonetheless.

Characteristics:

* Material: Polypropylene Plastic
* Color: Transparent
* Size: 44cm x 26cm x 2.2cm
* Capacity: 22u x 12u, space for ISO Enter keys and one BAE
* Supports all keycap profiles up to SA R1/ MT3 R0
Internal Layout:

State of the Product:

Please Fill out the Interest Check Form.

My design is basically ready to manufacture, only waiting on your feedback.

I already have quotes from a few manufacturers confirming that my price target is reasonable and will land even cheaper if we hit significantly more than 1000 units.

Feedback and To Do:

* Concerns about the wall height making it difficult to pick up caps have been raised with reference to JTK's trays and I will make sure these will do better.
* With the height of the tray, lower profiles like Cherry, DSA or DSS are bound to shuffle around loosely. A Foam insert could be a very economic solution and I'm looking into it.
* Multiple people have mentioned a spot to attach a label which is a fantastic idea and will get stolen by me immediately.
Vendors:

Yes please!

Once I have Interest numbers I will contact the usual suspects, but if you'd like your store to be part of the Groupbuy, reach out to me and we can talk numbers.

I am also looking for Vendors who are willing to stock these. I believe these could be an absolute no-brainer to any enthusiast's keycap order.

Timeframe:

Since the design is already fairly polished, I'd like to move into Group Buy as soon as I have numbers from the Interest Check and was able to secure vendors and agree on a timeline with them.

My quotes claim lead times of 4 weeks, though it's probably safer to assume those could double. I'd estimate another 2 months for sea freight from the factory to individual vendors, so 4 months + national shipping from the end of the Group Buy.

More Renders:

dededecline:
Are these meant to be 1:1 design-wise to JTK Max trays? It'd be great to have a similar design, but one that doesn't squeeze some profiles and also isn't at a height that allows most profiles to fly around easily.

DevilZmods:

--- Quote from: dededecline on Tue, 30 November 2021, 12:43:00 ---Are these meant to be 1:1 design-wise to JTK Max trays? It'd be great to have a similar design, but one that doesn't squeeze some profiles and also isn't at a height that allows most profiles to fly around easily.

--- End quote ---

I suppose it has to be either or, but i'd rather allow all profiles to fit. The ribs will be made tall enough so different rows don't mix, even when shuffled around, but i'm affraid i can't do much more than that. I could see foam inserts being a viable solution, though it will impede visibility of your caps.

MIGHTY CHICKEN:
This looks pretty promising, need a place to put all my mt3

WHAT!?:
I'm finding out quickly that I need a solution like this. I'd be down to by a couple of these... or more.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version