Author Topic: My First So.. eh, Mech Kit  (Read 1906 times)

Offline Jimbodiah

My First So.. eh, Mech Kit
« on: Sat, 08 January 2022, 09:08:03 »
Had to replace my Logitech K-cheapass keyboard as the batteries were sucked dry every 2-3 days after about 4 years of loyal and crusty service. Now I'm an old geezer that grew up in the 70-80s (that is last century for all you young folks) and was remembering the big clunky keyboards of days gone by, with that big juicy DIN-connector. Your mind tricks you into believing that was the best typing experience ever, so I hadz to haz one. Then I saw the prices... yeah.... no.

I noticed mechanical keyboards passing the review of the big youtube channels like LTT and GN and thought that might be an alternative. So I ordered a GMMK 104 key with Gat browns. The chassis looks really nice but that switches and keycaps were a big disappointment right out of the gate. I already knew I would want something like MX/Gat Reds, but seeing as the GMMK came with browns and I was too hesitant to get the barebone coz I iz kb noob. The road to success is paved on failures...

The bottom out noise drove me crazy after a few hours, so even reds would probably not be for me. Enter the dark world of custom kb youtube channels....

After a while I ended up buying a set of Kailh Silent Pink switches and some YMDK Carbon shine-through PBT caps (oem profile). I did the baindaid mod and lubed the stabilizers while I had all the switches out, but did not lube the switches yet as I am still waiting on the 205 to arrive which seems to have gotten lost somewhere. Quite an improvement in sound, less stabilizer noise and the switches in combination with the pbt caps felt really nice and not clacky/hollow at all anymore. Still, it did not feel/sound right, and I was constantly bumping my mouse into the keyboard like it was wider than before somehow.

Seeing as I had just spent $130-140 for all the parts and shipping, I wanted to see if I could get a budget keyboard in a smaller form factor like TKL/75% in order to get rid of the num pad and free up some space for my mouse and not loose a lot of money if the 75% layout was not for me. The Tester 68 kept getting rave reviews as it is a $20 barebone kit which means you can't really go wrong (not expecting high $$$ custom case quality). Yet it would get rid of the F keys and arrows, which I use on a daily basis for work and for gaming, so 65% was not going to happen. Luckily they also have an 84 key 75% version. I'd need some getting used to it, but at $35 for the kb and $20 shipping, it was worth the shot in my opinion. Looking at some reviews on YT it showed that was a beefy rubber insert between the case and the pcb as well as a silicone layer between the pcb and plate to fill up the gaps.

Along with the case and my newly discovered AliExpress account, I ordered some mods parts as listed below as well as a set of Kailh Deepsea switches. These are a variant of the Kailh Silent Box Pinks that has the dampening material integrated into the switch housing rather than into the stem. These are the same noise level, but the Deepseas feel smoother (unlubed/filmed) than the Pinks. I'll be keeping the pinks in my GMMK and will lube/film them when the parts arrive.

Three weeks later and parts are starting to arrive. Got the TET84 keyboard yesterday and went to modding it right away.

Goal: Smooth and Silent

Parts
- Tester 84 chassis/plate/pcb
- Kailh Deepsea 45g silent linears
- Durock Dolphin silent linears
- Durock plate-mount stabilizers
- Ali PBT keycaps, cherry profile
- Ali coiled braided usb cable

Mods
- Extra foam in empty space in the bottom rubber filler
- Thin layer of PU liner between rubber pad and PCB to remove any space (sort of like the tape mod?)
- Poron pads between pcb and switch
- Poron pads under stabilizers (bandaid mod). Stabs are already tightly fitted and wiggle-free
- Stabs were prelubed but could use some more
- Switches lubed/filmed
- Spacebar foam from kbdfans

So right out of the gates this little thing is soooo much nicer sounding than my GMMK. No clacking or rattling from the case when I type and really quiet thud sounds form the keys. The stabilizers need some work to get them quiet, the spacebar is hollow and sounds like it made from a much harder/stiffer material. After lubing/filming, this thing will be a winner in my book. Nice and heavy, won't be sliding across my desk anytime soon. Compact alu bezel with dark grey anodizing that looks really nice. I'm a happy camper already.

Waiting on:
- 4mm o-rings for Walker stab mod

And into the rabbit hole we go...
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 February 2022, 03:19:52 by Jimbodiah »

Offline HungerMechanic

Re: My First So.. eh, Mech Kit
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 January 2022, 11:13:57 »
Yeah, store-bought mechanical keyboards are not the luxury experience that Youtube reviews promise.

There's so much modding and purchasing that goes into a "good" keyboard that it's hard to do things on a budget, since there's a learning curve involved. Hard to set aside a certain amount of time + money when you're just starting out, and then get the desired results.

But budget options are getting better, and you came in at a good time.

I have the Tester68, and it's surprisingly-good. I expected it to just be some auditory disaster, and just use it as a switch tester. But the case isn't too hollow, and could be used for silent switches, esp. with modding.

I put Durock Medium Tactile [L + F Mode Signal] and giant MG profile keycaps on it, and it's actually one of my better keyboards now.

Just goes to show you that with a good enough base, you can mod an affordable keyboard into something decent or better. You did the right thing.

[The Tester boards, KBD67 Lite, Aurora, and MK870 are blowing away the earlier entry-level options, and new NK87 may do the same]

Offline HungerMechanic

Re: My First So.. eh, Mech Kit
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 January 2022, 11:42:33 »
Also, regarding your first post, I had a similar experience.

I ordered a GMMK barebones, because it was on sale and I needed a switch-tester. I knew beforehand that they were noisy boards that needed modding.

Nevertheless, I put some Gateron Browns into it, and was immediately disappointed. Tip: Kailh BOX switches seem to do better in the GMMK, especially the clickies like BOX Jade. But also BOX Brown.

The GMMK has north-facing housings IIRC, so it doesn't do best with Cherry-profile. So if you use decent OEM-profile keycaps on Kailh BOX switches, the GMMK becomes decent-feel. Mine has BOX Browns and Tai Hao keycaps, along with some other tactiles I'm testing, and it's fine that way. Both ABS and PBT Tai Hao keycaps will work fine here. Just have to lube / replace the stabilizers now. You can actually dampen and improve the sound of a GMMK through modding according to some tutorials.