Author Topic: [IC] Russian/English keycaps on Black (37 key)  (Read 4736 times)

Offline SBunce

[IC] Russian/English keycaps on Black (37 key)
« on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 11:05:06 »
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum, but I have been in touch with Qwerkeys and they advised me to post here. I am the proud owner (!) of a new Majestouch 2 from Filco with blues, and I love it! However, I am unable to type any Russian characters on it yet, as I have purely English UK keycaps.

I was told by Qwerkeys that a 37 key Russian/English set would cost £50 per person, and they would give me mine free if I found 30 other people. However, I don't feel in a position to manage an order myself yet, so would be happy to pay for my keyboard and hand the 'freebie' over to whoever chooses to order it, but I imagine that goes without saying.

I was hoping for something along the lines of black background, UK layout, English keys in the top left in white, with the Russian keys in another colour (say blue or orange) in the bottom right of each key. Of course, as such things must be subject to the democratic process, I shan't be sticking hard and fast to my particular design preference! Forgive the attached image as the keys in question are covered in stickers, but this is roughly what I had in mind: http://keyboardsticker.com/sticker/russian/opaque.gif

Thank you all,

Sam

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: [IC] Russian/English keycaps on Black (37 key)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 11:57:23 »
Or you can get these awesome thick PBT caps with unfading dye-sublimation fonts :)

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43328.0

Not light on black, but worth pointing out!
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline SBunce

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 12:12:45 »
They do look really nice, but I was looking for black keys. Apart from that they're almost perfect, which is a shame!

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 14:29:12 »
I think the difficult part is you want something with a black base. The first thing that comes to mind is double shot abs white on black, but since you want cyrillic with it, that'd have to be pad printed iirc (another difficulty there is pad printing on black). I don't think I've seen a Cherry board with that (people who are more versed in Cherry boards please feel free to chime in).

Your best bet is QWERkeys since they can infill legends on black and do UK ISO qwerty with cyrillic.

I'm sure there are others that share your interest so GL with your IC, welcome to GH and free bump for you sir :D

Offline SBunce

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 14:50:38 »
Cheers eyesmiles! The more I've been reading the more I'm beginning to realise that black base keycaps are far more difficult to come by. For this reason I am leaning towards the set that Photoelectric posted, but I'm wondering:

I own a TKL MJT-2, so if an 88 key option was available, that would definitely be preferable, and is it possible to have it in UK format? I noticed that only a couple of the keycap sets came in the UK layout. Ideally, I'd be more than happy to purchase the white/grey set Photoelectric offered, on the proviso that it could be produced in the UK layout - if I'm forced to buy a 105 key layout as a result, that would be less of a problem, but UK layout with cyrillic is preferable!

Thanks.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 14:52:44 »
ISO layouts are not very popular here.  There was an ISO layout in that group buy, but it got very few orders, and minimum order quantity per kind is 20.  You'd have to source your ISO Enter key elsewhere :(
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline SBunce

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 15:11:47 »
I'm guessing that this thread has turned into something other than IC now then! But I was just wondering, if I did purchase the ANSI set in cyrillic, would I be able to put it onto my MJT2 keyboard without any problems, and then look to source the enter, Alt Gr etc. keys later? Forgive me because I am completely new to this, but can I realistically take an ISO Enter key off and replace it with an ANSI without any problems?

Thanks.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 15:12:57 »
Or you can get these awesome thick PBT caps with unfading dye-sublimation fonts :)

Show Image

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43328.0

Not light on black, but worth pointing out!

This would be awesome, but sad about not having 7x spacebar and 1.5mods...
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 15:50:47 »
You could look around for G80(G81)-3000L**RG -2, it have black POM laser white GB/RU, or if you only care about its ISO the RD (Russian/German) version is lots easier to find. Look like these:
26443-0
I put them on ANSI board, but you get the idea. Can find them cheap on ebay sometimes, like 10EUR.