Author Topic: Switching from your main drivers.  (Read 2297 times)

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
Switching from your main drivers.
« on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 17:26:57 »
Basically a two part question.

1.) Do you ever find yourself wanting to switch away from your main drivers and then when you do, you want to go back to the old one within a couple of hours or whatever? (I do this a lot, I've got a Filco TKL and a Keycool 84 that I want to try and use but whenever I do, I just find myself switching back to my Noppoo choc mini, maybe it's the fact that I'm just far too use to the layout of the Choc mini).

2.) What drivers/switches do you find yourself switching away from but coming back too? (if you do come back of course).
你搞砸了

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Switching from your main drivers.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 17:51:04 »
My main drivers are IBM Model F 122-key terminal keyboards.

I have the most pristine specimen in deep storage, and alternate between a "naked" one without a case and a more typical cased one, both with my "ANSI-mod" to approximate a modern layout.

Whenever I get a "new" (almost always used, and usually cleaned and refurbished) (usually something on the order of once a week, although it might be 3 weeks) keyboard, then I rotate it in for somewhere between a couple of hours and a couple of days, and really get a feel for it.

So far, nothing has displaced my true love, but I keep the window of possibility open.

Also, since I usually sell the ones that I don't keep, I feel like I need a good sense of what they are and how to describe them.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 18:18:42 »
I don't have a "main" keyboard, but I do use my filco with reds more often than the other ones. I just like it a little more.

I switch to my QFR blacks and my MJ2 camo often as well
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 19:57:16 »
1) I like to use my HHKB or realforce because why not. But then I miss the number pad.

I also like trying new switches just to see if I like them.

2) I always come back to my fullsize with stock clears.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 21:19:25 »
I keep two keyboards on each desk (home and work). The main ones are an IBM Model M at work and a Leo TKL with Browns at home. At work I currently have a Poker on the side, and when I am feeling like a change I pull it in front of me. At home I keep a 104 ready in case I am going to be needing the extra keys. Currently I have a Ducky with Greens riding shotgun at home.

From time to time I rotate my secondary keyboard so I can try something new.

But I always end up using my Model M and my Leo with Browns after an hour or a day of a change.

- Ron I samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Aer Fixus

• And now, back to lurking...
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 22:21:39 »
My main driver changes depending on mood and I usually stick with it for a day or two at the least until my mood changes significantly enough to motivate me to change out my keyboard.

I alternate between one of my F122s, an Ultra branded Chicony 5181, and an '86 terminal M. And sometimes, when my roommate is sleeping, a cheap dell rubber dome (I'd eventually like to get some sort of quiet chicklet keyboard for this and other times that I need to be quiet, like Skype chats, video game streaming/recording, etc.)

I find I don't like the feel of the newer Model Ms. I can feel a very clear difference between the newer models and the older ones. I was surprised that there was that big of a difference between them...

When my new Teensy comes in, it will be the dedicated Kishsaver converter until the controller replacement is out of beta and released on time.
               SOON: IN PROGRESS:

I lie all the time.... I really don't even like keyboards

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 22:45:27 »
I always want to try boards other than my Realforce, but I end up coming back to it every time. Lately, my LZ Aluminum skin has been getting a bit of love, but I can't let my Realforce take the back seat for more than a few hours.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline aref

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 23:59:12 »
My Realforce 87U/55-gram KB is my preferred keyboard. But I occasionally use my SSK and Unicomp, just for a change in keyboard feel. But if I had to choose one keyboard, it'd be my 87U, which I use about 90% of the time. However, there's always room for 'one more' keyboard.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 February 2014, 08:52:30 by SSKGuy »

Offline morpheus

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 09:56:48 »
In the daytime, I mostly use my HPE 87 Brown and occasionally my Leopold FC660C.

But at night, I bust out my Ducky Shine 3 Brown. It's like having night vision goggles.

Switches that I cannot use anymore are MX Blue, MX Red and Buckling Springs.

For me, the sweet spot seems to be MX Brown, and my Costar HPE 87 is after all my hunting, my favorite daily driver.

I would not have imagined that after spending so much money, that all I really needed was my first mech keyboard, the HPE 87 Brown.

Do I regret buying more keyboards? No, I consider part of the journey of discovery.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 22:19:54 »
6 months.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 21:52:56 »
6 months.

And how often do you post in old threads?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ