geekhack Community > Keyboard Keycaps

KEYCAPS FROM TYPEWRITERS: which typewriters to buy

<< < (2/9) > >>

xantiema:
How about Nakajima Ax160?

OhManIAmWorried:

--- Quote from: xantiema on Sat, 24 June 2017, 14:04:59 ---How about Nakajima Ax160?

--- End quote ---
Sadly, I am not that confident in recognizing keycap standarts, and even if I was, I won't say a thing without closeups of the keys, which I can't find via Google.
All I can tell is that Cherry caps are said to have straight sides, not-that-curved corners and sharp typeface, but those are difficult for me to see.

Findecanor:
There is a wiki page about this. Please cross-check your findings with that one and update it.
But please update it only with typewriters that you have examined in person!

Cherry's (or GMK's) own caps were used on some Triumph-Adler typewriters with Cherry MX or Cherry MY switches - and those can be recognized by being grey, having sharp corners and having Cherry's font.
There are other keycaps with the exact same colour scheme, keycap sizes and font but with rounded corners - and those do not fit Cherry MX. It is often difficult to tell those two types apart just from images (for instance on eBay): you would need an exceptionally sharp image or inspect them in person.

Then there are some keycap sets with completely different shapes and colours that also fit Cherry MX.

OhManIAmWorried:

--- Quote from: Findecanor on Sat, 24 June 2017, 15:30:39 ---There is a wiki page about this. Please cross-check your findings with that one and update it.
But please update it only with typewriters that you have examined in person!

Cherry's (or GMK's) own caps were used on some Triumph-Adler typewriters with Cherry MX or Cherry MY switches - and those can be recognized by being grey, having sharp corners and having Cherry's font.
There are other keycaps with the exact same colour scheme, keycap sizes and font but with rounded corners - and those do not fit Cherry MX. It is often difficult to tell those two types apart just from images (for instance on eBay): you would need an exceptionally sharp image or inspect them in person.

Then there are some keycap sets with completely different shapes and colours that also fit Cherry MX.

--- End quote ---
Wiki page about TA was one of the sources for this post. All the other information is taken from given links and my research (I ask sellers to remove a cap to show me the mounting), which I am constantly making. I can't gurantee that each and every typewriter is in correct category, as my own research is about 5-10% of the list. However, all the rest was not taken from head and post has links to prove those.
Hopefully, I'll find some willing to create a table similar to TA wiki, but for me it has close to no sense, as this list was formed to gather the info in one place.

IMO the way this post is supposed to be used is:
1. Check for each TW on EBay etc.
(After finding the TW mentioned in a list ->)
2. Do a search in google, as there is likely to be a prove, since I had to take my info from somewhere
3*. Use links given in post to read something usefull if needed

I'll try to send some updates when each another seller replies to prove my findings and mark my findings in some way, so no probs with that.

Also, thanks for the info, I've seen all this tips before, and with that many of them I'd sure be glad if someone could operate with them more efficient, then I do  :)).

Troif:
Thanks! I still need to obtain a nice POM OG Cherry keycaps... I already have the HADadapter kit so that would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version