Author Topic: PCB with atmega32u4 au "Unknown USB (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"  (Read 4365 times)

Offline bonequatheman

I've been trying to make my own keyboard using the 32u4 but I've run into the error above. Would it be as simple as me messing up the solder on the USB port? I know the solder joints on the 32u4 and other components around it are good and the D+/- are the same length with 2 vias each. I tried using an esp32 I had lying around with https://github.com/lbernstone/ESP_AVRISP and avrdude to try and flash my hex to the 32u4 thinking since its brand new from Digikey it might not have a bootloader but it never got past "avrdude: send: 0 [30]   [20]". I've been using chatgpt to help but its just not cutting it rn. Attached are screenshots from my kicad files I removed my ground plane to see easier. could someone please help? I'm hoping to not have to reorder the PCB but I just want it to work so I will if that's what I messed up.

Offline gptnederlands

Re: PCB with atmega32u4 au "Unknown USB (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 March 2024, 02:25:21 »
I've been trying to make my own keyboard using the 32u4 but I've run into the error above. Would it be as simple as me messing up the solder on the USB port? I know the solder joints on the 32u4 and other components around it are good and the D+/- are the same length with 2 vias each. I tried using an esp32 I had lying around with https://github.com/lbernstone/ESP_AVRISP and avrdude to try and flash my hex to the 32u4 thinking since its brand new from Digikey it might not have a bootloader but it never got past "avrdude: send: 0 [30]   [20]". I've been using chatgpt to help but its just not cutting it rn. Attached are screenshots from my kicad files I removed my ground plane to see easier. could someone please help? I'm hoping to not have to reorder the PCB but I just want it to work so I will if that's what I messed up.
It sounds like you've put in a lot of effort into troubleshooting your PCB issue with the atmega32u4, and it's frustrating to encounter the "Unknown USB (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" error. While solder joints on the USB port could be a potential culprit, it's also worth checking other connections and ensuring that the bootloader is properly flashed. Using an esp32 for flashing is a good approach, but if it's not working, there might be other issues at play. It might be helpful to seek assistance from a hardware expert or a community forum like this one for further guidance. If you've exhausted your options with ChatGPT, getting hands-on help from experienced individuals could provide valuable insights into resolving the issue without having to reorder the PCB. Good luck!