Author Topic: TMK USB to USB keyboard converter  (Read 520246 times)

Offline colomb

Re: USB to USB keyboard converter
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 15:54:07 »
Got the converter yesterday and spent some time programming it today. The TMK keymap editor worked perfectly. Once I had the keymap, I was somewhat confused on how to get it onto the converter. I tried following the directions at the top of this post, but they fail to mention that you need dfu-programmer. Once I figured that out,I didn't realize I had to install the drivers for the atmega. Eventually, with some direction from geniekid, I was able to use Flip to upload the hex file. Is there a thread with more detailed instructions on how to load a hex file to these converters on various operating systems?

Converter is working great with my Novatouch. I may be buying on or two more of these to have around. Thanks!!

colomb

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #101 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 17:04:43 »
USB to USB converter supports TMK keymap editor now!

Show Image

Try it here.
http://www.tmk-kbd.com/tmk_keyboard/editor/usb_usb/

And Space Fn keymap, for example.
http://bit.ly/1OqgvMn
Thanks, Hasu! This is very helpful!

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 17:41:56 »
Got the converter yesterday and spent some time programming it today. The TMK keymap editor worked perfectly. Once I had the keymap, I was somewhat confused on how to get it onto the converter. I tried following the directions at the top of this post, but they fail to mention that you need dfu-programmer. Once I figured that out,I didn't realize I had to install the drivers for the atmega. Eventually, with some direction from geniekid, I was able to use Flip to upload the hex file. Is there a thread with more detailed instructions on how to load a hex file to these converters on various operating systems?

Converter is working great with my Novatouch. I may be buying on or two more of these to have around. Thanks!!

colomb

Glad to hear that it works with Novatouch!

Ah, the first post has too sparse info to program controller. I'll add link to this doc and probably have to improve the instruction.
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/tmk_core/doc/build.md#program-controller

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #103 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 01:40:11 »
i got around to setting up my usb-usb converters from hasu, and they are really great!  i'm primarily using them for space fn, and also to do some simple key remaps which would previously give me lots of grief when doing this via software remap and using remote desktop.

these converters work great with my WASD v2, RF 87, and also my SSK with USB cable out (not sure what's inside, but i don't think it's a programmable controller?). 

however, i wasn't able to get this to work with my GON NerD TKL board.  has anyone managed to get a GON board to work with these converters?  i suspect i'm having similar issues as KHAANNN and njbair posted previously.  when i first plug things in, no keys register at all.  if i toggle NKRO mode using the key combo, then most keys will register, but a couple of keys like Shift and Caps Lock still won't register.  i tried stuff like connecting things in different orders (eg, connect keyboard to converter, then to PC), and also holding down the NKRO toggle keys when plugging in the board.

anyways, wonderful work, hasu!  thanks so much for this extremely useful tool.  i'm also a happy fan of the BT HHKB controller. :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 January 2016, 01:44:56 by naasfu »
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline yangdigi

« Reply #104 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 19:14:03 »
Will usb to usb keyboard controller be able to support mouse? Then we can use it to programme mouse‘s keys for some convenient features as keyboard.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #105 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 03:44:49 »
Got mine today. Thanks, Hasu!
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #106 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 11:50:10 »
Will usb to usb keyboard controller be able to support mouse? Then we can use it to programme mouse‘s keys for some convenient features as keyboard.

My firmware doesn't support mouse but I think it is not so difficult to add mouse support. Problem would be program space is tight.

Offline yangdigi

« Reply #107 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 21:01:26 »
I've built a new USB to USB keyboard converter using Pro Micro 3.3v with mini host shield.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=80421

130866-0
130868-1

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 15:43:46 »
Didn't fully read the thread - is it possible to hook up a teensy for this?

Maybe usb-ps/2 and the ps2-usb adapter would make more sense
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 March 2016, 15:48:30 by tominabox1 »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 15:57:51 »
possible.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #110 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 20:06:20 »
Hey hasu, have you given any more thought to the possibility of adding an optional "boot magic" delay on startup? I would love to be able to set my default Dvorak layer and ctrl/caps switching via EEPROM settings, instead of hard-coding the layout files.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #111 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 23:11:20 »
Unfortunately USB to USB converter takes long time to enumerate/initialize a keyboard, simple delay won't work there. Probably you have to check whether keyboard is ready.

This is still on my TODO list but ...

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #112 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 01:55:42 »
Hey hasu, have you given any more thought to the possibility of adding an optional "boot magic" delay on startup? I would love to be able to set my default Dvorak layer and ctrl/caps switching via EEPROM settings, instead of hard-coding the layout files.

Doesn't switching them with a layer make more sense? - You can overlay a layout with a layer, it seems simpler than boot-level switching to me (tho I might not be understanding your use case, I guess you don't want to get your layers too complicated, and it indeed does get very complicated)

I personally have a windows layer, Fn+X toggles the windows mode for me, it switches the Ctrl/Cmd/Caps/Fn keys

My main problem with this mode is that it's hard to asses which mode the keyboard is in, when I return to OSX, I usually copy stuff with CMD+C, and realise I was using Ctrl+C later on, so I wanted to utilise the caps/num-lock leds for this purpose, in windows mode the num-lock led would be always on, yet at the time there was no way to just turn these leds/modes on or off, they could only be toggled, and toggle usually becomes the wrong parity when you quickly switch things etc.

Anyway, again, slightly-off-topic, it would be great if there was a USB-USB converter with a chip that has more space, I have OSX language macros for example, can't replicate them for windows as I'm afraid I will go out of space, If I have more space, there are lots of things I want to do
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #113 on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 12:21:46 »

Doesn't switching them with a layer make more sense? - You can overlay a layout with a layer, it seems simpler than boot-level switching to me (tho I might not be understanding your use case, I guess you don't want to get your layers too complicated, and it indeed does get very complicated)

I personally have a windows layer, Fn+X toggles the windows mode for me, it switches the Ctrl/Cmd/Caps/Fn keys

My main problem with this mode is that it's hard to asses which mode the keyboard is in, when I return to OSX, I usually copy stuff with CMD+C, and realise I was using Ctrl+C later on, so I wanted to utilise the caps/num-lock leds for this purpose, in windows mode the num-lock led would be always on, yet at the time there was no way to just turn these leds/modes on or off, they could only be toggled, and toggle usually becomes the wrong parity when you quickly switch things etc.

Anyway, again, slightly-off-topic, it would be great if there was a USB-USB converter with a chip that has more space, I have OSX language macros for example, can't replicate them for windows as I'm afraid I will go out of space, If I have more space, there are lots of things I want to do

Boot magic is preferable to layers because TMK has no built-in way to enable layers by default. Even setting the default layer to something other than layer 0 requires boot magic.

I'd like to see boot magic extended with options for enabling any layer in addition to just the default layer. For example, set the default layer to 1 for Dvorak layout, then enable layer 4 which defines SpaceFn, and enable layer 5 to override RGUI with layer tap key functionality.

Having each Fn key defined in its own layer is certainly not memory-efficient, but it's the most user-configurable way to do it.

Kahn, if you want more space you can probably build your own converter using an Arduino Mega or something.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline DreymaR

• Colemak forum guy
    • DreymaR's Big Bag of Kbd Tricks
« Reply #114 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 07:08:08 »
Wow, this is SO COOL!!! Thanks, Jun!

Using the Keymap Editor is a great way of making your first .hex file, truly! But one thing stopped the show a little: The inability to map to modified keys. So I guess I have to start compiling then...

What I'd like would be radio buttons or suchlike in the editor for at least Shift and Ctrl (and possibly Gui) together with a key, so I could for instance map ZXCV to Ctrl+ZXCV in one layer, and similarly some keys to Shift+123456. Or map something to Win/Gui+T. I guess someone would like to have for instance a Ctrl+Shift+Left mapping (select previous word)?

I also have a wish for more modifier types: I use Caps as my "Extend"/Fn key; I'd like to be able to select up to 4 different Extend layers with Caps, LAlt+Caps, RAlt/AltGr+Caps and finally LAlt+RAlt+Caps. Furthermore, Shift with any of those combos could lock the layer. And holding down either Caps or LAlt alone should maintain the layer state! So you don't have to keep pressing the modifier chord while for instance using the NumPad layer.

For that, the TMK code needs tweaking I guess. Time to get cracking...!
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 May 2016, 05:41:29 by DreymaR »
Better burden you cannot carry than man-wisdom much ~ Hávamál

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #115 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 20:16:21 »
Hi DreymaR,
been long long time since your last post, welcome back to GH ;D

Wow, this is SO COOL!!! Thanks, Jun!

Using the Keymap Editor is a great way of making your first .hex file, truly! But one thing stopped the show a little: The inability to map to modified keys. So I guess I have to start compiling then...

What I'd like would be radio buttons or suchlike in the editor for at least Shift and Ctrl (and possibly Gui) together with a key, so I could for instance map ZXCV to Ctrl+ZXCV in one layer, and similarly some keys to Shift+123456. Or map something to Win/Gui+T. I guess someone would like to have for instance a Ctrl+Shift+Left mapping (select previous word)?

I have a plan to extend capability of keymap editor to let users make copmplex actions. But it doesn't happen anytime soon and you will still have to write code to use full functionality.

You can use ACTION_MODS_KEY to implement those modified keys, like 'ACTION_MODS_KEY(MOD_LSFT | MOD_LALT, KC_LEFT)'.
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/tmk_core/doc/keymap.md#212-modified-key

I also have a wish for more modifier types: I use Caps as my "Extend"/Fn key; I'd like to be able to select up to 4 different Extend layers with Caps, LAlt+Caps, RAlt/AltGr+Caps and finally LAlt+RAlt+Caps. Furthermore, Shift with any of those combos could lock the layer. And holding down either Caps or LAlt alone should maintain the layer state! So you don't have to keep pressing the modifier chord while for instance using the NumPad layer.

For that, the TMK code needs tweaking I guess. Time to get cracking...!

TMK keymap system clearly doesn't support function like that and I think it is just optimal to use layout setting on OS for the purpose. But you can sitll implement your own keymap system relatively easily, due to its modularity, at least I intended so.(EDIT)

Perhaps, you can make the "Extend' feature with writing your code in Function action but it won't be trivial work.
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/tmk_core/doc/keymap.md#24-function-action
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 June 2016, 20:19:27 by hasu »

Offline tokyo

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 16:45:19 »
I have a keyboard with trackpad.
With usb converter, the trackpad is not working. (media keys not work either as mentioned by the 1st post)

Any idea how to enable trackpad?   It would be super awesome.

Here is the keyboard:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00K70ZQMA
Microsoft All-in-One Media Keyboard N9Z-00023

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #117 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 21:39:19 »
With usb converter, the trackpad is not working. (media keys not work either as mentioned by the 1st post)

You can write code to support the trackpad, refer to example code of USB Host shield library if you are interested.
https://github.com/felis/USB_Host_Shield_2.0
https://github.com/felis/USB_Host_Shield_2.0/tree/master/examples/HID

« Last Edit: Wed, 08 June 2016, 21:49:33 by hasu »

Offline tokyo

« Reply #118 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 07:54:49 »

You can write code to support the trackpad, refer to example code of USB Host shield library if you are interested.
https://github.com/felis/USB_Host_Shield_2.0
https://github.com/felis/USB_Host_Shield_2.0/tree/master/examples/HID

I guess that is not trivial?    ;D
I am struggling with even C.

Then is there any keyboard with TMK which also includes working keyboard integrated trackpad/trackball/trackpoint?
Sometimes you just need mouse, I wish I didn't.  :(
I am fine with buying a keyboard or kit, switching a chip, soldering is probably over my capability.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #119 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 14:06:14 »
The Hasu USB-USB converter is amazing! Hasu has made it easy by producing the hardware, firmware, and online software (configurator) for configuring layouts and creating the hex file.

I have programmed the converter for a HHKB-like layout. Thus far, I have found that it works on the following keyboards:

+ CM QFS TKL

+ KBP V60MTS-C

+ IBM SSK with Orihalcon's SDL to USB converter cable

Moreover, it works with an Iogear DVI 4-port KVM and powered USB Hub.

It also works on Windows 10 and Linux (Linux Mint 17.3 64-bit Xfce).

Finally, it works with Synergy software between Windows and Linux computers.

At present, I am using the converter in my home office. It is so useful, I have ordered a second one for work, and I am considering a third for travel.

Because I switch keyboards frequently, one concern I have is how well the converter will withstand repeated connections and disconnections. It looks fairly durable, but I am considering putting it into an enclosure with strain-relief cables to panel-mount connectors. Alternatively, KHAANNN suggested using some Pexon coiled USB cables and connecting the keyboard to the coiled cable instead of directly to the converter.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #120 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 14:32:07 »
I also sent a PM to hasu to purchase another :)

I generally regret not making these kind of purchases when the item in question fails, so better safe then sorry

I use mine with this: https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Peripheral-Sharing-Switch-GUS402/dp/B00BD8I2OY?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0 - I only rarely need to re-connect the usb-usb converter, I would say 1/30 of the time - I switch between a windows/osx combo, the converter is always powered from one of the systems

Off topic, I programmed a windows-mode to the converter, switch to this mode by Fn+X, in windows mode caps lock is caps lock, so I can test which mode the keyboard is in by using the caps-lock, if it lights up, the keyboard is in windows mode - I tried using the leds as indicators, for example the unused num-lock led, yet at the time this was not possible, also sometimes the caps-lock led gets stuck from the converter-side of things (tho my firmware version is almost a year-old now, I'm going to update when the layer/modifier dynamics are improved, there are a lot of tmk/qmk discussions that I couldn't follow, just waiting for them to give fruit)
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline tokyo

« Reply #121 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 17:22:39 »
Is there any keyboard with TMK which also includes working keyboard integrated trackpad/trackball/trackpoint?
Sometimes you just need mouse, I wish I didn't.  :(
I am fine with buying a keyboard or kit, switching a chip, but soldering is probably over my capability.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #122 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 18:33:45 »
Hypersphere and KHAANNN, Thanks for the info about KVM.
As for strain-relief extended cables can be useful and cheap while USB panel mount connectors are very expensive and very few in the market. And I also had saw caps-lock LED lost sync with status of PC occasionally during development and I can't remember it was fixed at some point, but try newer firmware downloaded from keymap editor.

tokyo, I don't think keyboard like that exists except for mod.

Offline tokyo

« Reply #123 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 06:12:32 »
tokyo, I don't think keyboard like that exists except for mod.
Thanks Hasu! Any idea which keyboards might be good for a mod (easy mod, my capability is limited)?

Offline tokyo

« Reply #124 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 07:03:45 »
ACTION_LAYER_TAP_KEY problem
when I type fast, I might be pressing 2 keys at the same time, one of them might set on layer.
For example: ACTION_LAYER_TAP_KEY(2, KC_J)
If I type "jack" fast, and pressing "a" before releasing "j", the "j" set on layer 2 instead of sending plain "j".
Is there any way to add a timeout before turning on layer 2?  (TAPPING_TERM not seem to work in this case)
Having this would be awesome because I can fully use all 26 alphbets as layer keys.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #125 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 07:34:23 »
ACTION_LAYER_TAP_KEY problem
when I type fast, I might be pressing 2 keys at the same time, one of them might set on layer.
For example: ACTION_LAYER_TAP_KEY(2, KC_J)
If I type "jack" fast, and pressing "a" before releasing "j", the "j" set on layer 2 instead of sending plain "j".
Is there any way to add a timeout before turning on layer 2?  (TAPPING_TERM not seem to work in this case)
Having this would be awesome because I can fully use all 26 alphbets as layer keys.

it seems like
1) you hold the "j" longer than TAPPING_TERM in the result. so try bigger TAPPING_TERM value.
or
2) you release "a" key before releasing "j", in this case layer 2 is activated.

This tap key rules are optimized for my fingering and speed and not configurable much. If these doesn't work for you, you need your own "dual role key"(tap key) implementation.

anyway, this problem is not related to USB-USB converter probably. You can use this thread for this kind of topic. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41989.0

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #126 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 12:28:58 »
@Hasu: Thus far, I have only used the online configurator to make my hex file. This works okay for some of my keyboards. However, I have run into problems with the CapsLock indicator light on some keyboards -- it behaves in the opposite way to what is expected. That is, the CapsLock LED is on when the CapsLock is off, and conversely, the CapsLock LED is off when the CapsLock is on. What should I do to make the CapsLock indicator LED function correctly with the USB-USB converter? BTW, I have remapped CapsLock to L_Ctrl, and I use Fn+Tab ---> CapsLock.

In addition, on my Realforce 87U, the situation gets very confused with the NumLock and CapsLock LEDs and controls. To avoid major problems, I have had to disable the NumLock using a DIP switch setting. However, I have not explicitly assigned a NumLock key using the online configurator. I might try this, make a new hex file, and reflash the USB-USB converter.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #127 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 18:08:46 »
Hypersphere, the converter has an issue I'm aware on locking indicator state. keyboard loses sync with host locking status at plug-in because with the converter keyboard starts up a little slow like a few seconds and it is not ready when host sends its indicator state. But after the startup, it should be sync'ed to host state if you depress one of locking keys. At least I don't see any problem with my keyboards there. Though some keyboards still can have problem.

I have remapped CapsLock to L_Ctrl, and I use Fn+Tab ---> CapsLock.
It is no problem and should work. Use "Caps Lock", not "Locking Caps Lock" in editor. "Locking Caps Lock" may goes wrong on some OS's.

Uh, I guess 87U NumLock is not an usual key and it works wierd to support its numpad. Yes, disabling its NumLock is safe with the converter.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #128 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 18:17:27 »
@hasu: Thanks for your response. I erased the USB-USB converter, used the online configurator to generate a new hex file, and reflashed the converter. This time, the CapsLock and its indicator LED worked as expected. I also explicitly remapped the Scroll Lock in the nav island to NumLock. Now, the RF87U works as expected with both CapsLock and NumLock. All is well!

Offline DreymaR

• Colemak forum guy
« Reply #129 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 16:22:17 »
HOKAY!!! *phew*

I've made a shell script, keymap files (including additions to keymap_common.h) and a massive topic on USB-2-USB devices in general and yours in particular, over at the Colemak Forum:

https://forum.colemak.com/topic/2158-dreymars-big-bag-of-keyboard-tricks-usb2usb-edition/

@Hasu: Hope you find the time to look at that. Any feedback would be valuable. Also, take a look in my keymap files please. They got fancy. ;-) Maybe, maybe, you might consider adding my stuff or at least some of it to your TMK USB_USB code? [Yeah, I know that this isn't the proper GitHub way and I should do a pull request instead. I'm still a bit GitHub impaired... heh.]
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 July 2016, 04:53:42 by DreymaR »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 21:20:12 »
@Hasu: Hope you find the time to look at that. Any feedback would be valuable. Also, take a look in my keymap files please. They got fancy. ;-) Maybe, maybe, you might consider adding my stuff or at least some of it to your TMK USB_USB code? [Yeah, I know that this isn't the proper GitHub way and I should do a pull request instead. I'm still a bit GitHub impaired... heh.]

Nice writeup!
I'll add a link to your article from wiki or README of USB2USB. thanks.

As for your keymap, in layer5 you can't place modifiers like that unfortunately at the current moment at least. The modifiers can be stuck probably, see this issue.
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/wiki/FAQ-Keymap#modifierlayer-stuck

/* Layer 5: Extend1 (DreymaR)                                                      */
    /* ,----.    ,-------------------. ,-------------------. ,-------------------.
     * |Caps|    |MPly|MPrv|MNxt|MStp| |Mute|VolD|VolU|MSel| |WHom|WSch|MyCm|Calc|
     * `----'    `-------------------' `-------------------' `-------------------'
     * ,-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
     * | ?? | F1 | F2 | F3 | F4 | F5 | F6 | F7 | F8 | F9 | F10| F11| F12|  Pause |
     * |-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
     * |      |Esc |Wh_U|WBak|WFwd|Ms_U|PgUp|Home| Up |End |Del |Esc |Ins |  App |
     * |*Ext1* |Alt |Wh_D|Shft|Ctrl|Ms_D|PgDn|Left|Down|Rght|BSpc|App |WFav|PScr |
     * |     |Wh_L| ^Z | ^X | ^C | ^V |Btn1|Btn2|Btn3|Ms_L|Ms_R|Wh_R|            |
     * |      |     |Ext1 |           Return            |     |     |     |      |
     * `-------------------------------------------------------------------------'     */
    [5] = KEYMAP_AWIDEISO(
              ACL0,ACL1,ACL2,BTN4,BTN5, NO , NO ,WAKE, NO , NO , NO , NO ,
    CAPS,     MPLY,MPRV,MNXT,MSTP,MUTE,VOLD,VOLU,MSEL,WHOM,WSCH,MYCM,CALC,         PSCR,SLCK,PAUS,    VOLD,VOLU,MUTE,PWR ,    HELP,
    FN10, F1 , F2 , F3 , F4 , F5 , F6 , F7 , F8 , F9 ,F10 ,F11 ,F12 ,JYEN,PAUS,    INS ,HOME,PGUP,    NLCK,PSLS,PAST,PMNS,    STOP,AGIN,
    TAB ,ESC ,WH_U,WBAK,WFWD,MS_U,PGUP,HOME, UP ,END ,DEL ,ESC ,INS ,     APP ,    DEL ,END ,PGDN,     P7 , P8 , P9 ,PPLS,    MENU,UNDO,
    FN1 ,LALT,WH_D,LSFT,LCTL,MS_D,PGDN,LEFT,DOWN,RGHT,BSPC,APP ,WFAV,     PSCR,                        P4 , P5 , P6 ,PCMM,    SLCT,COPY,
    LSFT,WH_L,FN17,FN18,FN19,FN20,BTN1,BTN2,BTN3,MS_L,MS_R,WH_R, RO ,     RSFT,          UP ,          P1 , P2 , P3 ,PEQL,    EXEC,PSTE,
    LCTL,LGUI,FN7 ,MHEN,HANJ,     ENT ,     HAEN,HENK,KANA,FN8 ,RGUI,APP ,RCTL,    LEFT,DOWN,RGHT,     P0 ,     PDOT,PENT,    FIND,CUT
    ),    /* <-- Extend1 */

Offline DreymaR

• Colemak forum guy
« Reply #131 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 15:54:45 »
Thanks! ^_^

You mean, the Alt/Shift/Ctrl-on-letter-keys could get stuck? I've experienced some stuck Ctrl states using the program PortableKeyboardLayout on Windows, but not with the USB converter yet. We'll see. Or did you mean the Extend modifiers themselves? [EDIT: Potentially both, I see. Still, this is a very useful function for me so I'll keep it. Consequences be damned for now. ;-) The layer switches are safe as long as I have the same FN# in that position in the other layer, right?]

Your TMK Wiki isn't easy to find, there aren't many links to it that I can see? :-o

Oh, BTW: I found the key codes for MRWD MFFD EJCT in your keycode.h file, but not in your documentation. I'm still missing Brightness Up/Down as well as some weird ones like MediaPause and WWW; are they anywhere to be found? No biggie, though... I don't think I've ever actually needed those two keys.

[EDIT: One suggestion for the modifier state problem could be to make a layer switch key (e.g., ACTION_LAYER_MOMENTARY_CLEANUP) that sends keyup for all of Ctrl/Shift/AltGr(?) on release, so whenever you leave the layer it'll be with a clean modifier state! This'll generally be useful for HHKB/Extend-type mappings.]
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 July 2016, 04:18:24 by DreymaR »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #132 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 12:10:51 »
Added those keycodes in the documentation. Thanks.
I don't think Brightness control keys are defined in USB spec and any OS supports them.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #133 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 12:40:13 »
Thanks! ^_^

You mean, the Alt/Shift/Ctrl-on-letter-keys could get stuck? I've experienced some stuck Ctrl states using the program PortableKeyboardLayout on Windows, but not with the USB converter yet. We'll see. Or did you mean the Extend modifiers themselves? [EDIT: Potentially both, I see. Still, this is a very useful function for me so I'll keep it. Consequences be damned for now. ;-) The layer switches are safe as long as I have the same FN# in that position in the other layer, right?]

Your TMK Wiki isn't easy to find, there aren't many links to it that I can see? :-o

Oh, BTW: I found the key codes for MRWD MFFD EJCT in your keycode.h file, but not in your documentation. I'm still missing Brightness Up/Down as well as some weird ones like MediaPause and WWW; are they anywhere to be found? No biggie, though... I don't think I've ever actually needed those two keys.

[EDIT: One suggestion for the modifier state problem could be to make a layer switch key (e.g., ACTION_LAYER_MOMENTARY_CLEANUP) that sends keyup for all of Ctrl/Shift/AltGr(?) on release, so whenever you leave the layer it'll be with a clean modifier state! This'll generally be useful for HHKB/Extend-type mappings.]

I suffered a bit from the stuck modifiers, now I just press and release modifiers in an orderly fashion :)

If you follow the TMK github project, things are extremely heated there, there are forks with their own solutions and improvements, various discussions and alike - apart from it all, just having a stuck modifier solution would just be great

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #134 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 21:30:42 »
I have a plan to fix the limitation in future release, but you have to accept compromise or workaround until then.

Offline DreymaR

• Colemak forum guy
« Reply #135 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 02:30:31 »
I fiddled with dfu-programmer yesterday and got it to work. Score +1.  ;D

In the help texts it says to use 'dfu-programmer erase --force' before flashing, but the '--force' directive didn't work. Without it, everything runs smoothly.

As I pointed out in the Download/Install post of my USB-2-USB topic, if using a Linux VM it may be necessary to re-capture the device to the VM every time you switch to bootloader mode. Doing that, everything worked fine for me.

FLIP on Windows is still more explicit, but flashing directly on Linux sure is handy. I didn't have to worry about mounting or device IDs at all (Ubuntu VM).
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 August 2016, 07:05:52 by DreymaR »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #136 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 02:11:44 »
Right, dfu-programmer has different behaviour between 0.6.x and 0.7.x. With newer you will have to add the option while 0.6.x can't accept it. Makefile checks its version and decide if the option is needed.

These days I also worked with Virtualbox and bash on windows.
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/wiki/Build-firmware-on-VirtualBox
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/wiki/Bash-On-Ubuntu-On-Windows10

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #137 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 15:56:12 »
Unless I am doing something wrong, it will not work with my Varmilo VA12M. For some dumb reason, when the wrote the firmware for the little switch tester it was written with number row keycodes. I have generated the firmware I want on the Converter, and tested it with my Blackbird. Works fine for Blackbird, but for some reason the converter will not power my VA12M. Much disappoint.
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #138 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 16:04:53 »
Unless I am doing something wrong, it will not work with my Varmilo VA12M. For some dumb reason, when the wrote the firmware for the little switch tester it was written with number row keycodes. I have generated the firmware I want on the Converter, and tested it with my Blackbird. Works fine for Blackbird, but for some reason the converter will not power my VA12M. Much disappoint.

Varmilo specifically had issues with the USB-USB converter, while almost every other keyboard seemed to work, it might be related to that

Edit: Off topic + On topic: Would be nice if MK carried these converters :)

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #139 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 16:22:42 »

Varmilo specifically had issues with the USB-USB converter, while almost every other keyboard seemed to work, it might be related to that

Edit: Off topic + On topic: Would be nice if MK carried these converters :)

hmm...well...we shall see
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #140 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 01:04:47 »
New keymap editor is available now.

- You can edit almost all actions available here( https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/tmk_core/doc/keymap.md ).
- You can use same key mappping on any other converter/keyboards with TMK firmware.
- You can load keymap from firmware file and edit it.

though, its interface is still very rough as always.

Try it here.
http://www.tmk-kbd.com/tmk_keyboard/editor/unimap/?usb_usb
SpaceFn on editor: http://goo.gl/5kvPrl

Offline DreymaR

• Colemak forum guy
« Reply #141 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 10:00:11 »
Coolio! So now I can get what I wanted, by using an ACTION_MODS_KEY with, e.g., '^Z'. That's awesome! I'll update my guide accordingly.

I couldn't use the Browse... button under Base Firmware File, as it's grayed out. I suppose I'd point to a local .hex file. Or do you mean that you could load from the firmware on an attached device in Bootloader mode?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #142 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 16:40:18 »
Coolio! So now I can get what I wanted, by using an ACTION_MODS_KEY with, e.g., '^Z'. That's awesome! I'll update my guide accordingly.

I couldn't use the Browse... button under Base Firmware File, as it's grayed out. I suppose I'd point to a local .hex file. Or do you mean that you could load from the firmware on an attached device in Bootloader mode?

You have to clear URL text box to use file chooser :D I'll improve user interface later.
Note that old firmware is not compatible to this new editor, you can use firmware downloaded from new editor or firmware built with 'make -f Makefile.unimap' on the latest source repository.

Offline Harima

« Reply #143 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 19:45:30 »
Is programming macros possible with this converter? Will the 28kb limitation be a problem?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #144 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 20:15:46 »
Is programming macros possible with this converter? Will the 28kb limitation be a problem?

You can use 5KB at most to define keymap layers and macros. It consumes 256 bytes per layer and a few tens of bytes for simple short macro. That space seems to me enough in most cases but it depens completely on your usage.

Offline Harima

« Reply #145 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 20:26:32 »

You can use 5KB at most to define keymap layers and macros. It consumes 256 bytes per layer and a few tens of bytes for simple short macro. That space seems to me enough in most cases but it depens completely on your usage.

Is there a max character length for macros and are delays possible, such as delay 1ms, 5ms, 10 ms, etc?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #146 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 20:56:59 »

Is there a max character length for macros and are delays possible, such as delay 1ms, 5ms, 10 ms, etc?

No length limt and you can delay any 0-255ms. But in my firmware macro doesn't look anything like fancy application from Logitech. It is C codes actually like this, very rough.
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/keyboard/hhkb/keymap_hasu.c#L219-L239

Offline Harima

« Reply #147 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 21:34:16 »

No length limt and you can delay any 0-255ms. But in my firmware macro doesn't look anything like fancy application from Logitech. It is C codes actually like this, very rough.
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/keyboard/hhkb/keymap_hasu.c#L219-L239

No problem, I'm a quick learner  :)) Last question, can you press keys simultaneously with macros?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #148 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 21:42:56 »

No problem, I'm a quick learner  :)) Last question, can you press keys simultaneously with macros?

No, unfortunately. It is not interruptable and blocks completely other macros and human keystrokes during it runs.

Offline Harima

« Reply #149 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 22:03:12 »

No, unfortunately. It is not interruptable and blocks completely other macros and human keystrokes during it runs.

That's fine. I have a Soarer converter and it does the same. Is that something that cannot be changed in the firmware? Either way, I like what I know now about your converter. OS will detect as 6KRO right? Soarer is NKRO only and it's a problem for me.