Author Topic: I messed up the keycap placement  (Read 2147 times)

Offline Mr. R

I messed up the keycap placement
« on: Sun, 18 December 2011, 17:25:44 »
This is really obnoxious, but I was cleaning out my blank key cap keyboard, and when I put it back together, I just realized that the key caps go at slightly different angles. This is really frustrating. I was even thinking about ordering key caps to go with them, but I think I will just have to waste money on getting an entire set of key-caps (or individual ones to ensure that they are all the same angle) that are all the same angles. I really just want to take them and, plop, plop, plop them back into place without worrying. Does anyone else hate the fact that some key caps are angled? I know I should have cleaned it line-by-line, but I was trying to save time. Anyone have any information about figuring out where certain angled key caps should go? I have a Leopold Otaku with Cherry MX Browns.

Also, do WASD keyboards sell key caps that are all the same angle, or is there a different and cheaper place to get key caps? Thank you in advance.
Also want to replace--when I get good with the function key--the keys on the KBC Poker.

Offline Mr. R

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 18 December 2011, 17:31:02 »
Also, I may make a separate thread once I order some key caps, and everything goes well, where I might sell the key caps already on my KBC Power and the blank ones on the Leopold.

Offline Mr. R

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 18 December 2011, 17:44:46 »
Quote from: ripster;473419
I think it's time for a Keycap Wiki.

Or two.

Or three.

You think?
Not sure if trolling.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 18 December 2011, 17:56:24 »
Move the mouse pointer to the Wiki menu at the top of the page. Click it and select "All About Keys".
Most modern keys use different geometries for the different rows. This is generally referred to as a "sculpted profile" and has been around since the Selectic Typewriter.

Offline Mr. R

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 18 December 2011, 18:02:59 »
Okay, this is pretty much what I'm looking for:
http://www.keycapsdirect.com/key-caps.php

Something similar to the DSA or KT Family.

EDIT: I just sent a request for a quote from their website...
Shame that they have more ABS than PBT key caps, but oh well.

Offline zoidbergslo

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 01:39:26 »
If i read this document correct spacebar is only 6 or 8 units long witch is not good for your keyboard. KT family has even less options. Your best bet is all row 3 SA family (order with Round 4 7bit has correct spacebar for these keycaps) or even better learn rows and sorting :P.

WASD has keycaps that are about the same profile as Leopold.
Filco Tenkeyless

Offline cancelx

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 08:31:19 »
You can check under the keycap for a number that represents a row. R1/R2/R3/Rwhatever in corner.
Model M SSK - WASD V1 - CM Storm QFR - Ducky Year of the Rabbit - Realforce 87U - WASD V2 - K-Type