Author Topic: Blue Alps Tour!  (Read 49585 times)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
Re: Blue Alps Tour!
« Reply #200 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 09:51:32 »
Could I also be a part of this?

No, yes, no yes, no yes....added!
Toying with my emotions :confused: :confused:
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #201 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 20:51:49 »
The tour board is on the move once again!  It has been mailed to hashbaz.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #202 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 15:48:15 »
Just got the board and am typing on it now.  Super satisfying click.  Hashbaz approved. :thumb:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #203 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 16:08:39 »
You call that a review Hashbaz?

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #204 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 16:47:56 »
I call it a first impression, son.

Offline calavera

« Reply #205 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 10:31:42 »
Just came in here to say BLUE ALPS MASTER RACE.

Okay, carry on. :)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #206 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 20:30:01 »
all waiting and no blue alps makes hwood a dull boy

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #207 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 20:35:12 »

Sooner or later someone will receive that northgate board with the caps glued to the board and missing all the switches underneath, lulz.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #208 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 20:37:14 »

Sooner or later someone will receive that northgate board with the caps glued to the board and missing all the switches underneath, lulz.

Don't give Hashbaz any ideas before it gets to me! hwood, um...you may receive a non-functioning board, but that's normal.  ;)
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #209 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 20:39:35 »

Don't give Hashbaz any ideas before it gets to me! hwood, um...you may receive a non-functioning board, but that's normal.  ;)

hashbaz might not be happy with me sharing this, but whatever.  He's not even using it!  It's sitting on his couch in his office.  :P

Sorry hash.  huehuehue  xD

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #210 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 20:42:34 »
hashbaz might not be happy with me sharing this, but whatever.  He's not even using it!  It's sitting on his couch in his office.  :P

HASHBAZ!! THE NERVE!

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #211 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 20:46:08 »

Dastardly!

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #212 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 22:15:02 »

So cold Hoff.  Not sure we can be kendama bros anymore.  I actually have been using it, and I have a very obscure reason for why it was not plugged in when you guys came to my desk.  I had to switch back to the KMAC when a coworker came over for a code review since the KRO on this thing is not high enough to handle my window manager properly (i3) and I had to move some windows around to places they are not normally at.

Nuclearsandwich and I actually discussed that at my desk if you had been paying attention

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #213 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 22:20:27 »

So cold Hoff.  Not sure we can be kendama bros anymore.  I actually have been using it, and I have a very obscure reason for why it was not plugged in when you guys came to my desk.  I had to switch back to the KMAC when a coworker came over for a code review since the KRO on this thing is not high enough to handle my window manager properly (i3) and I had to move some windows around to places they are not normally at.

Nuclearsandwich and I actually discussed that at my desk if you had been paying attention

:-[  Oops.  :( 

Well I suppose it's a good thing I was only playfully jabbing then!  Otherwise I would feel like a right *******.  I kind of still do.  :|

You're nice enough to let me tour Pixar and I come back on the forums and accuse you of things.  Not cool, Hoffman.  Not cool.   >:D

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #214 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 22:37:21 »
Dude it's cool ;D

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #215 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 22:43:53 »
Dude it's cool ;D

I know.  ;)  I just did feel bad that I called you out and you had a totally legit reason.   :))

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #216 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 22:46:08 »
I know.  ;)

You just double-trolled me.  Hats off, sir.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #217 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 02:24:12 »
Wow double-trolling? What an *******.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #218 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 02:38:50 »
I thought Omnikeys are NKRO though.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #219 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 08:06:00 »
Wow double-trolling? What an *******.

:-X

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #220 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 08:07:16 »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #221 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 17:03:48 »
Would like to get in on this! I'm in NJ. :thumb:
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #222 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 21:35:51 »

Added!
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #223 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 21:37:58 »

Added!

I think AKIMbO secretly hates blue alps and so wants to keep this board out of his hands for as long as possible.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #224 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 21:41:50 »

Added!

I think AKIMbO secretly hates blue alps and so wants to keep this board out of his hands for as long as possible.

Pretty much...blue alps are the worst switch ever!
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #225 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 20:36:52 »
damnit hash quit hogging the board

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #226 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 14:50:55 »
damnit hash quit hogging the board

Yeah, man! :D
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #227 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 18:14:44 »
Sorry for the lengthy delay everyone.  It's been a combo of technical difficulties and procrastination.  A few weeks ago I tried to plug in the board one last time before sending it on, and noticed that the cable connector on the keyboard had become detached from the housing and was being pushed into the case when I tried to plug the cable into it.  I asked Akimbo what he wanted me to do and offered to open it up and take a look.  He said to do that, and then I didn't do it for a long time.  Again, real life busyness and procrastination on my part.

So I finally opened it up and found that the piece of plastic that holds the cable port in place has cracked pretty badly.  Not quite sure what the best way to fix it is.  Any thoughts?

77084-0  77086-1

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #228 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 18:39:28 »
What kind of cable is it? If it's AT or PS/2, you could use a new PS/2 connector. Apart from that, epoxy might be able to fix it, I would unscrew it from the case to glue it back together though.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #229 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 20:35:28 »

Not quite sure what the best way to fix it is.  Any thoughts?

That whole cable affair is stupid. In reply #157 I showed how to hook up a standard PS/2 cable scavenged from a regular junk keyboard.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #230 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 08:26:01 »
So...

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #231 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 19:16:39 »

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #232 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 21:22:31 »
I made an attempt to fix which failed.  Sending back to Akimbo at his request.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #233 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 15:41:44 »
So did this ever get fixed?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #234 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 20:42:03 »
Akimbo has been kind of inactive lately. My mind is telling me no.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #235 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 20:55:07 »

Are you kidding?

He took a road trip with mean-ass cats and moved to the country music capitol.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #236 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 20:58:52 »

Are you kidding?

He took a road trip with mean-ass cats and moved to the country music capitol.

Did not know this.

Unless I'm too young to get the reference.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #237 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 21:05:42 »
About to hit the road for a 16 hour drive with a backseat full of precariously packed, irreplaceable keyboards (lzgh, ssks, at fs, f122s, kingsavers, zkb2s, etc.) and 2 mean ass cats. It's the creme de la creme of my collection.

Wish me luck and hope the cats don't crap on my early 80s IBMs!

Did not know this.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #238 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 15:29:37 »
Ok, so I'm on tapatalk on my phone so I didn't read the whole thread, but is it too late to sign up?.

Thanks

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #239 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 17:28:27 »
Ok, so I'm on tapatalk on my phone so I didn't read the whole thread, but is it too late to sign up?.

Thanks
Pretty late yeah

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #240 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 23:05:15 »
Haha figured.  Onev day I will try them.  One of the few switches left I want to try that I could see myself using on a daily basis.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #241 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 07:32:09 »
One of the few switches left I want to try that I could see myself using on a daily basis.

The great thing about the specimen on tour is that it is an extremely desirable chassis as well as great switches.

Trying blue Alps in any of their native boards is not likely to be as satisfying or impressive.

Offline klikkyklik

• Klikky Klik
« Reply #242 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 09:07:16 »
I feel quite fortunate, as when I was first starting my keyboard adventures this year, I asked a friend if he knew of any old keyboards lying around at his workplace.  He said he found an Omni Key/102 in their recycle pile and sent me a picture of a blue Alps slider under one of the keycaps.  I about shot out of my chair!  All I paid for was the shipping.

I'm typing on the thing now, as it is in my regular rotation with a Das Keyboard w/MX blues, a K70 with reds, and an AT101W with Alps blacks.

I have to say I do like both the MX blue and the Alps blue.  The MX blue are higher-pitched and have a more tin-like click.  The Alps blues have a more "rounded" / smooth click that seems to integrate a little better with the sound of the keycap bottoming out.  Perhaps it wasn't that way new, but my board is vintage 1988 and has obviously seen some use!  I can't make an objective comparison on my speed or accuracy differences between the two boards, as they are at different levels.  I find that I sometimes mistype on the Omni vs. the Das, but that would be naturally considering the Omni is elevated a few inches higher than it should be (sitting on top of my desk instead of the keyboard drawer).  The board oozes quality, and it is very satisfying to type on with Alps blues.  If I had to choose between the MX blue and the Alps blue, I'd take the Alps.

The Omni Key/102 is built like a tank and I do not foresee parting with it.  This sounds stupid, and of course I'd never take back the experience, but being sent a board with such desirable switches right off the bat kind of let some of the air out of my keyboard pursuit!  Someone mentioned that there are still Topres, so those are my next target, I suppose.

I'm kind of surprised that there weren't more reviews of this board when people received it in Akimbo's tour.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #243 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 13:04:38 »
sooo...

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #244 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 17:56:24 »
Tour's dead hwood34. The cable connection has been busted and I no longer have the time to repair or ship the board.  Sorry!
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #245 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 18:22:42 »
Awww.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #246 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 18:47:30 »
Tour's dead hwood34. The cable connection has been busted and I no longer have the time to repair or ship the board.  Sorry!

You should sell it. The fix is probably easy and the board is outstanding.

Offline Special K

« Reply #247 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 00:27:14 »

You should sell it. The fix is probably easy and the board is outstanding.

+1

I just found this thread and would be very interested to try that board.
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2
IBM Model M 1391401 - 11/13/87

Quote from: ripster
LOL - we're on post #163 of this mega-thread and you've gone from"keyboard n00b" to "keyboard sn0b".  We've done our job.