Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3507927 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #1700 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 00:03:29 »
I am pretty sure the Poker 2 will come in both backlit and non-backlit variations [...]

Do you game on your Poker, Lastpilot? If so, how do you feel about missing the function row? No big deal?

Question for anybody too.

I couldn't play SC2 on a 60% board since I use the function keys as location bindings. But I've been playing Borderlands 2 on a Pure and it's been fine. I don't miss the function keys at all.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #1701 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 00:05:06 »
Do you game on your Poker, Lastpilot? If so, how do you feel about missing the function row? No big deal?

No need for function row;I don't even use the number row, too far lol. I use qerfzxcv and my side mouse buttons are ctrl/shift giving me 24 combinations.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1702 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 00:07:23 »

Yes, I do game on my Poker. Most of the games I play utilize the number instead of the function row therefore I haven't encountered many problems. The arrow-mode is super helpful.

If I ever do need to use the function row more often I would probably just map the keys to my Naga and be fine with that. I even prefer it when I do have a function row available. But if you don't want to use a Naga, I would probably be more in the market for the KBT Race or one of the Ducky keyboards.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #1703 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 00:15:23 »
If I ever do need to use the function row more often I would probably just map the keys to my Naga and be fine with that. I even prefer it when I do have a function row available..

Not a bad idea. Maybe I'll get one, if I find myself missing the function keys.

Offline F u r u y á

« Reply #1704 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 03:14:29 »
I recently removed my 40A-R o-rings from my poker after having them on for a month. You are correct in that I am using more energy to type because of the increased travel.

So why did I remove them?

The short travel keys were too reminiscent of rubber domes. Over time I began to miss the solid sound and feel of each keypress. The sensation of the MX Switch was lessened in every way by the o-rings. The biggest factor was travel.

When I had the o-rings on, I left my number row untouched [just to see which I would prefer over time] and I found myself often looking forward to hitting those keys. They used more energy, and they decreased my typing speed by a small margin but I found out over time that these trade-offs were well worth it for the feeling of a long-travel typing experience.

When you remove the o-rings it's kind of like typing with an extra layer of air beneath your keys. It may slow you down and it may cause typing to be excessively tiring over long stretches, but just being able to experience the deeper dimensions of each individual keypress gives me some kind of satisfaction.

Just one guy's opinion, of course people have had wildly different experiences with o-rings. Personal preference really.

Nice review. I had a similar experience.

I typed in MX Red with fat O'Rings for more than a year, and it's great in terms of responsiveness. I defintely recommend that for anyone striving for any kind of edge in gaming or fast typing. For those who like heavy switches, maybe MX Black is even better because of the stronger rebound.

A few weeks ago I switched back to a O'Ringless keyboard, and I can attest what you said: the bottom-out feel (bigger travel and sound) makes an intrinsical part of the whole mechanical keyboard feel!
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 May 2013, 03:16:48 by F u r u y á »
Filco 91 | Filco 87* | Filco 105 | PLU 87 | PLU 87 | Cherry 120 | Cherry 120

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #1705 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 06:55:28 »
If I ever do need to use the function row more often I would probably just map the keys to my Naga and be fine with that. I even prefer it when I do have a function row available..

Not a bad idea. Maybe I'll get one, if I find myself missing the function keys.

Okay, bad idea. That s*** is almost as much as the Poker. I guess either deal with it, or get backlit TKL.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1706 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 10:09:45 »
Lol yes it is kind of expensive. And its not perfect either. But it has dem keys. The logitech g600 is a viable alternative that is a little cheaper. :D

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #1707 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 12:24:30 »
Are there differences in feel between monterey whites and real alps whites?
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1708 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 12:30:07 »

There are Monterey white switches? I've never heard of such a thing. And there are both Tactile and Clicky White Alps switches. I'm not really sure what the difference in between the Monterey/XM Alps vs the real Alps stuff other than the fact that they feel different.

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #1709 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 12:42:42 »

There are Monterey white switches? I've never heard of such a thing. And there are both Tactile and Clicky White Alps switches. I'm not really sure what the difference in between the Monterey/XM Alps vs the real Alps stuff other than the fact that they feel different.
I just bought one its not exactly white but its more of an ivory colour. It was a SIIG MiniTouch, really good condition, looked brand new Thats it from deskthority, not the one I bought but they're both in the same condition. I may have over payed at $50, but I doubt it for a compact alps.
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1710 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 13:10:13 »
The price you paid isn't bad. Do the switches say "Alps" on them? That's how you would know if they're real Alps switches or not. Do you have a picture with the caps pulled so we can see the switches?

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #1711 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 13:14:45 »
The price you paid isn't bad. Do the switches say "Alps" on them? That's how you would know if they're real Alps switches or not. Do you have a picture with the caps pulled so we can see the switches?
Oh I know they're not real, SIIG Minitouch never had real alps switches, I just figured if I don't like them I've still got a bad-ass oldschool compact alps clone. Plus, I could put real alps in them later if I find ones that I really like then I'd have a semi custom alps board. I was just wondering how they differed and what they felt like.
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1712 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 13:18:07 »
Ah ok. Well I think they feel pretty similar. The switches in the Filco Zero are Clicky White XM Alps clones and they were a little scratchier than the Clicky White Alps in my Focus FK-2001.

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #1713 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 13:23:27 »
Ah ok. Well I think they feel pretty similar. The switches in the Filco Zero are Clicky White XM Alps clones and they were a little scratchier than the Clicky White Alps in my Focus FK-2001.
I could probably just lube them if they're scratchy, yes?
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1714 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 13:25:38 »

Yeah for sure. I might do the same for my Alps board once I get it all built up.

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #1715 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 13:28:48 »

Yeah for sure. I might do the same for my Alps board once I get it all built up.
Yay :) thanks for all that info CPT, and I'm sorry this question was a bit longer than the average on here... I just didn't think it needed its own thread.
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1716 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 13:29:37 »
No need to apologize. Let us know how you like that Minitouch ^__^

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #1717 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 13:36:46 »
No need to apologize. Let us know how you like that Minitouch ^__^
Definitely! I just now noticed that the CTRL is in a extremely awkward place but, I guess I can get used to that.
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #1718 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 17:29:14 »
Is there a guide to tell alps from alps clones?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1719 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 17:40:56 »
Alps Switches will say ALPS on them like Cherry switches do. Clones won't. Pretty much anything that's relatively new will have clones while things that are older should have Alps switches. My Focus FK-2001 and Dell AT101W have legit Alps switches while the Filco Zero and Ducky 1087 XM have clones.

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #1720 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 18:12:33 »
Question: If the choice is available, should I choose PBT dyesub over double-shot ABS keycaps?
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #1721 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 18:15:01 »
Question: If the choice is available, should I choose PBT dyesub over double-shot ABS keycaps?

lol it's going to depend on the person, but I'd go with PBT dyesub  :p

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1722 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 18:16:46 »

See the OP or click here. You've asked this already too I believe. And it's asked once a page?

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #1723 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 18:24:28 »
One more question (been looking at keyboards too much today my wallet is going to catch on fire)... Fortunately(for my wallet, not me), I cant buy this one.
Whats so special about this keyboard?

Its called the Space-Cadet, and the deskthority wiki says its known as the holy grail of keyboards. But that's all it says, what is so special about this thing, other than the fact that its ****ing gorgeous?
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #1724 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 18:25:52 »
One more question (been looking at keyboards too much today my wallet is going to catch on fire)... Fortunately(for my wallet, not me), I cant buy this one.
Show Image

Its called the Space-Cadet, and the deskthority wiki says its known as the holy grail of keyboards. But that's all it says, what is so special about this thing, other than the fact that its ****ing gorgeous and looks to be hall-effect (please tell me that guess is right)

I'm pretty sure this is a non-mass production keyboard used by NASA. Put those together makes it super rare and I'm sure isn't for sale to the general public
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1725 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 18:31:39 »
Show Image

Its called the Space-Cadet, and the deskthority wiki says its known as the holy grail of keyboards. But that's all it says, what is so special about this thing, other than the fact that its ****ing gorgeous?

Some more info can be found on Wikipedia.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1726 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 20:01:33 »
Rare
Classic styling
Built like a tank
Incredibly complex
A first for several computing concepts
Legendary

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #1727 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 20:15:11 »
Some more info can be found on Wikipedia.

I wonder if Richard Stallman has one stored away, somewhere.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #1728 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 20:21:33 »
Is there any way of removing the caps/scroll lock text cleanly on a Filco MJ2?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #1729 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 20:23:05 »
Remove surrounding keys, pull and wiggle gently with fingers until it comes off.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #1730 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 20:26:52 »
Remove surrounding keys, pull and wiggle gently with fingers until it comes off.

Sorry for the lack of clarification, I meant removing the text beside the LEDs :D.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #1731 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 20:29:33 »
Sorry for the lack of clarification, I meant removing the text beside the LEDs :D.

Various stages of high grit sandpaper, and be very careful?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1732 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 20:41:45 »

Maybe you can find a blank cap or something else that will fit that profile?

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #1733 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 21:40:46 »
For you guys that have done the removable cable mod to fixed cable keyboards where to you get your connectors and is there kind of a how to thread, or a build log from someone doing it?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #1734 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 21:56:31 »

Maybe you can find a blank cap or something else that will fit that profile?

I think they're talking about this:

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1735 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 22:02:42 »
I think you could actually try washing it off with soap, water and careful scrubbing.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1736 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 22:08:08 »
For you guys that have done the removable cable mod to fixed cable keyboards where to you get your connectors and is there kind of a how to thread, or a build log from someone doing it?

You can try this and this. Also I found this one that is a bit old but has fantastic pictures. Just remember to tin the wire.
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 May 2013, 22:11:06 by CPTBadAss »

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #1737 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 22:12:57 »
I think you could actually try washing it off with soap, water and careful scrubbing.

A little acetone could possibly help, maybe...

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1738 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 22:22:05 »
I would never bring acetone in contact with any keyboard.  It dissolves most plastics.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #1739 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 22:22:50 »
Not PBT, young padawan. :P

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1740 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 22:24:58 »
Filco case is definitely susceptible.  I know from experience... my white Filco case was ruined by mere GooGone before it was painted.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #1741 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 22:25:42 »
I'd use an eraser, or perhaps a Magic Eraser, since those are fairly abrasive to plastics.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1742 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 00:43:50 »
Anyone ever done a detachable cable mod on a keyboard that also has a USB pass through?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1743 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 01:38:17 »
I understand the merits of lubricating, but what is the point of stickering?  Does it make switches fit more tightly or some such?
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #1744 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 01:42:37 »
I understand the merits of lubricating, but what is the point of stickering?  Does it make switches fit more tightly or some such?
It is supposed to :
-Make the top of the switches fit more tightly to the bottom of the switches.
-Stop dust getting into the switches.

Some people say they work, others say they're a gimmick. I honestly have no clue but if you're going to lube your switches and spend all that time on your keyboard you might aswell spend 10 bucks on stickers and go all the way.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Larken

« Reply #1745 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 02:49:33 »
It is supposed to :
-Make the top of the switches fit more tightly to the bottom of the switches.
-Stop dust getting into the switches.

Some people say they work, others say they're a gimmick. I honestly have no clue but if you're going to lube your switches and spend all that time on your keyboard you might aswell spend 10 bucks on stickers and go all the way.

very very subtle difference for a lot of work. Slight change in the sound of bottoming out (more subdued, perhaps? or it could be placebo). As for the tightness and dust issue, people have been using their boards for years without this anyway.

but I agree with Photoekq - since you're opening up your switches anyway, might as well go the whole mile. That's what got me to do mine.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1746 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 06:07:17 »

Answer can also be found in the OP ;)
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 May 2013, 06:09:12 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1747 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 06:52:06 »
Would it be possible for someone to email me some files for common CNC parts and I can ask around to some local shops for prices just to see if I can find some decent deals.  PM me for email address.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1748 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 07:04:34 »
Would it be possible for someone to email me some files for common CNC parts and I can ask around to some local shops for prices just to see if I can find some decent deals.  PM me for email address.

Let me see if I can get a plate drawing from The_Beast for you Melvang.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1749 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 07:06:53 »
cool thanx man

Also would the procedure for doing a detachable cable mod work the same for the USB pass through for USB ports on the keyboard?  And if i do that would there be anything fundamentally different for updating the ports on my Das to USB 3.0?