Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3478075 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #1750 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 07:09:34 »
Also would the procedure for doing a detachable cable mod work the same for the USB pass through for USB ports on the keyboard?

I think so? I'm not sure.

And if i do that would there be anything fundamentally different for updating the ports on my Das to USB 3.0?

This question I honestly don't know the answer to.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1751 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 07:27:07 »
AFAIK there would not be any difference in plugging your Das into a 3.0 slot. The two hubs on the keyboard itself are 2.0 so there would be no effect.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #1752 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 07:29:40 »
So it would require a new daughter board then to make the ports 3.0 then?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1753 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 07:32:20 »
I assume it would.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1754 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 07:53:53 »

I'm pretty sure

If your wanting to 'convert' the usb 2 ports on your keyboard to usb 3 nothing is impossible but I would say its impractical. Usb 3 would require using a usb 3 cable, the chipsets are different and the plugs/ports are different, obviously you can plug usb 2/3 into each other but you won't get usb 3 speeds unless the entire usb 'ecosystem' supports 3.

I'm not expert but I'd say this one is near impossible but someone else may know better.

Here is a pic comparing the plugs.

22599-0

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1755 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 08:04:40 »
If your wanting to 'convert' the usb 2 ports on your keyboard to usb 3 nothing is impossible but I would say its impractical. Usb 3 would require using a usb 3 cable, the chipsets are different and the plugs/ports are different, obviously you can plug usb 2/3 into each other but you won't get usb 3 speeds unless the entire usb 'ecosystem' supports 3.

I'm not expert but I'd say this one is near impossible but someone else may know better.

Here is a pic comparing the plugs.

(Attachment Link)

Thanks Ray I knew that the cable would plug into each other.  I have 3.0 front panel headers on my case and on my motherboard.  I just didn't realize that there was this much physical difference between the plugs.  But you did help me out in another question I had that I will ask now.

Does anyone know of a connector that has at least 7 conductors and will fit onto a PCI slot cover?  After seeing this pic I am thinking that I might go with a USB 3.0 if I can find some blank plugs or cheap-ish cables I can sacrifice.  But if anyone knows of one that is easier to work with or easier to get blank male and female connectors it would be very much appreciated. 

Melvang
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1756 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 08:15:50 »
Lights off

Show Image

Can someone do a similar picture on a Ducky Shine 2 or other keyboard with reversed switches (LEDs at the top)? I'm wondering if putting the LED right under the keycap legend makes it readable in the dark, or if the printing just doesn't have enough contrast when backlit.

I don't have a Ducky but I think if I flip the caps upside down I can get the same effect. I don't think it will be that visible. But we'll try it later unless someone beats me to it first.

If he is just wanting a picture of the ducky shine II lit up in the dark I'm sure I can do that....but not until the boss leaves :p

here are a couple super potato pick of my ducky back lighting....sorry I had to do it really quick

22603-0

22601-1

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1757 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 08:16:47 »
Thanks ray4jc. I was going to PM you just to see if you were still doing this ^__^

Offline Goodfella

« Reply #1758 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 11:03:47 »
Any idea where I can get a tool to help remove pcb mounted switches? I have seen several different methods, but it appears that someone, beast maybe?? created a small set of two metal tools that help pop those switches out. If those aren't for sale, what tools would you guys recommend? I plan on swapping out a whole board worth of switches and will be adding some stickers and lube as well, what tools will I need?

Thanks!!
QFR | QFR | QFR | Pure LED

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1759 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 11:06:14 »
Any idea where I can get a tool to help remove pcb mounted switches? I have seen several different methods, but it appears that someone, beast maybe?? created a small set of two metal tools that help pop those switches out. If those aren't for sale, what tools would you guys recommend? I plan on swapping out a whole board worth of switches and will be adding some stickers and lube as well, what tools will I need?

Thanks!!

The_Beast had made a set of switch opening tools. You can try PM'ing him to find them. Otherwise I've heard ppl having success with tweezers. And maybe if you're brave you can try pliers?

Stickers I think you just need fingers.

Lube you'll need something to mix lube in or just a container plus a brush. Check out MMB's MX Lube Guide in the "Making Stuff Together" subforum.

Offline Goodfella

« Reply #1760 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 11:14:21 »
Ah, so it is kinda what I thought it was, just make something work then because that specific tool isn't made/sold yet. Got it.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1761 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 11:15:55 »
There was a R1 already, so it has been sold. And he told me there would be a R2 but he's been busy. Like I said, PM him; he might have extras.

Offline Larken

« Reply #1762 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 11:20:11 »

Thanks!!

You can bend a pair of reverse action tweezers to act as switch tools. This is what they look like.

and this is how you want it to look like after bending (the one on the lower right). The one on the upper left will damage your switch tops.

| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1763 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 11:21:06 »
Those pictures are glorious Larken, I'm going to put them in the OP because this has been asked a few times now. Thanks so much for adding those in ^__^

Offline Larken

« Reply #1764 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 11:22:23 »
Pleasure to be of service, Captain. *salute*.

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Goodfella

« Reply #1765 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 11:27:24 »

Thanks!!

You can bend a pair of reverse action tweezers to act as switch tools. This is what they look like.

Show Image

and this is how you want it to look like after bending (the one on the lower right). The one on the upper left will damage your switch tops.

Show Image

This is great, I am going to swing by cvs on the way home and see if I can find something similar!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1766 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 11:32:00 »
Since, surprisingly, it hasn't been mentioned yet, there's also the tried and true binder clip switch top opener.  Just take the arms from a binder clip and bend them with a pair of pliers or vice grips.  Limmy's KBDMania guide, for reference.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1767 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 11:33:10 »
That's awesome. I've never seen seen or heard of that Nubbinator. Thanks for sharing :D

Offline Larken

« Reply #1768 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 11:35:18 »
@ goodfella, you'd need to bend two pairs of those (to look like the one on the lower right) to use it like how the one from The_Beast. see pic from Jocelyn - http://imageshack.us/a/img138/3729/toolsp.jpg

Just putting it out there in case my picture was misleading.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1769 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 11:37:52 »
Since, surprisingly, it hasn't been mentioned yet, there's also the tried and true binder clip switch top opener.  Just take the arms from a binder clip and bend them with a pair of pliers or vice grips.  Limmy's KBDMania guide, for reference.

since i've got a drawer full of these.....must try :o

Offline Goodfella

« Reply #1770 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 11:40:06 »

Wow, that is really simple. I have 4 of those on my desk as I type this, looks like I know what I will be trying first. Can't wait to post after I get home asking how to put my keyboard back together hahahah

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1771 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 11:40:46 »

Wow, that is really simple. I have 4 of those on my desk as I type this, looks like I know what I will be trying first. Can't wait to post after I get home asking how to put my keyboard back together hahahah

How are you going to type if the board isn't back together? :P

Offline Goodfella

« Reply #1772 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 11:50:53 »

How are you going to type if the board isn't back together? :P

With my mind! and after I give that up I will plug in one of my other keyboards lol

Let me ask you this, are there any other well known pcb mounted switch TKL boards out there? It looks like I will be able to mod the poker pretty easily, but I do prefer a TKL layout, do those exist?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1773 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 11:53:05 »
Let me ask you this, are there any other well known pcb mounted switch TKL boards out there? It looks like I will be able to mod the poker pretty easily, but I do prefer a TKL layout, do those exist?

I'm not sure. I would imagine there are but I believe most TKL boards are Plate Mounted.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #1774 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 15:47:28 »
Sadly. Best bet would be to get a board with a switch plate.
I love Elzy

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1775 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 16:05:14 »
There is the NEO Zelia for a PCB mount TKL. Asides from custom chopped G80-3000 I think those are about it.

Offline pandather

• Formerly gopanthersgo1
  • Hello, I'm Mark.
« Reply #1776 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 16:07:43 »
So I got my QFR with a custom plate... Will it fit in my old ducky case?  I don't like the branding at the back or the rubberized finish...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1777 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 16:08:12 »
So I got my QFR with a custom plate... Will it fit in my old ducky case?  I don't like the branding at the back or the rubberized finish...

What Ducky board did you have?

Offline pandather

• Formerly gopanthersgo1
  • Hello, I'm Mark.
« Reply #1778 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 16:40:29 »

DK9087, it has a space for the DIP switches at the bottom, but I think the top part will fit, as that's what I'm wanting to change. ;)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1779 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 16:56:49 »

DK9087, it has a space for the DIP switches at the bottom, but I think the top part will fit, as that's what I'm wanting to change. ;)

Unsure. I'm going to hesitate a guess of no and the Vulcan guesses no as well. But try it for keyboard science!

Offline pandather

• Formerly gopanthersgo1
  • Hello, I'm Mark.
« Reply #1780 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 17:11:20 »

Unsure. I'm going to hesitate a guess of no and the Vulcan guesses no as well. But try it for keyboard science!
the thing is that I think my ducky still has a warranty... :(

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1781 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 17:30:36 »
What are some non-standard but still somewhat standard sized shift and bottom row modifier keys would like to at least design a keyboard layout using the 2 in the OP of this thread.  But I don't want to create something that would be expensive to get a full set of caps for.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1782 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 17:54:51 »
What are some non-standard but still somewhat standard sized shift and bottom row modifier keys would like to at least design a keyboard layout using the 2 in the OP of this thread.  But I don't want to create something that would be expensive to get a full set of caps for.

Bottom row "shift" mods come in 1.25, 1.75, 2.25, and 2.75 units. Bottom row modifiers come in 1.0, 1.25, and 1.5 units.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #1783 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 17:56:50 »
What is the size of the right shift for a keycool 84?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1784 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 17:57:34 »

Looks like 1.75 to me. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #1785 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 17:58:49 »

Looks like 1.75 to me. :)

cool :)
going to recommend for my friend to go for the keycool over the race..don't you have a keycool? or a noppoo?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1786 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 18:10:45 »

Bottom row "shift" mods come in 1.25, 1.75, 2.25, and 2.75 units. Bottom row modifiers come in 1.0, 1.25, and 1.5 units.

I thought there was a 2.0 and a 1.0 unit Shift key

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1787 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 18:14:19 »

They might exist but I've NEVER seen a replacement cap that had those sizes.

Offline Goodfella

« Reply #1788 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 18:22:52 »
There is the NEO Zelia for a PCB mount TKL. Asides from custom chopped G80-3000 I think those are about it.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=14126998195&ali_trackid=2:mm_14507416_2297358_8935934:1369091959_4k9_695529491&spm=a230z.1.5634029.1.uOVfnX

This looks amazing! Wireless, TKL, mod'able to add LED's, PCB mount for changing switches and low profile...

How can I get my hands on this???

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1789 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 18:23:37 »

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=14126998195&ali_trackid=2:mm_14507416_2297358_8935934:1369091959_4k9_695529491&spm=a230z.1.5634029.1.uOVfnX

This looks amazing! Wireless, TKL, mod'able to add LED's, PCB mount for changing switches and low profile...

How can I get my hands on this???

Find a TaoBao agent? Maybe qtan? I'm not sure who else.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1790 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 18:26:12 »

I didn't think you wanted uncommon or one-off sizes. :|

in memoriam

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1791 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 18:40:00 »

I didn't think you wanted uncommon or one-off sizes. :

No I didn't want on off or that uncommon but thanks for the info.  I did want the sizes that replacement caps are available for.

Offline clockwork

« Reply #1792 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 20:51:58 »
Lights off

Show Image

Can someone do a similar picture on a Ducky Shine 2 or other keyboard with reversed switches (LEDs at the top)? I'm wondering if putting the LED right under the keycap legend makes it readable in the dark, or if the printing just doesn't have enough contrast when backlit.

I don't have a Ducky but I think if I flip the caps upside down I can get the same effect. I don't think it will be that visible. But we'll try it later unless someone beats me to it first.

If he is just wanting a picture of the ducky shine II lit up in the dark I'm sure I can do that....but not until the boss leaves :p

here are a couple super potato pick of my ducky back lighting....sorry I had to do it really quick

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
Thanks for the pics. Unfortunately, I was looking for what a backlit Ducky with non-backlit-compatible (like thick PBT) keycaps looks like if you turn on the backlighting, specifically if the legends are visible at all. CPTBadAss' idea of flipping around the keys on his keyboard would give a nearly identical effect.

Separate question: is there such a thing as a TKL with either a snap-on palm rest or an extended lower edge that serves as one, that isn't custom or otherwise very expensive? I know you can get such a beast in full size, like the CM Trigger, but I haven't seen one yet in TKL.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1793 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 20:54:45 »
Thanks for the pics. Unfortunately, I was looking for what a backlit Ducky with non-backlit-compatible (like thick PBT) keycaps looks like if you turn on the backlighting, specifically if the legends are visible at all. CPTBadAss' idea of flipping around the keys on his keyboard would give a nearly identical effect.

Separate question: is there such a thing as a TKL with either a snap-on palm rest or an extended lower edge that serves as one, that isn't custom or otherwise very expensive? I know you can get such a beast in full size, like the CM Trigger, but I haven't seen one yet in TKL.

I've been a little busy. I'll try and take a pic with the flipped caps soon. And I've never seen a snap on palm rest that is stock. That being said, have you checked out The_Beast's rests? He could hook you up.

Offline clockwork

« Reply #1794 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 21:14:00 »

I've been a little busy. I'll try and take a pic with the flipped caps soon. And I've never seen a snap on palm rest that is stock. That being said, have you checked out The_Beast's rests? He could hook you up.
Before you take the time to do that, I'm going to ask VesperSAINT if he can take a pic, since (per his post in another thread today) he has a Shine II with regular white PBT keycaps already installed.

On the palm rest thing, it isn't for me, but rather my father. He really likes the integral palm rest on his current ancient rubber dome board, but is looking at getting a mechanical, and doesn't need the numeric keypad. I did mention separate palm rests to him, but he doesn't like them for some unexplained reason. I did see The_Beast's very nice work, and while the version that sits under the keyboard would, in my opinion, work fine, I kinda doubt my father wants to go that far immediately.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #1795 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 21:20:27 »
Question someone posted in this thread.

mm, by any chance, is there a similar topre lubrication guide ?:P

Is it a common, or even necessary procedure?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1796 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 21:23:06 »
mm, by any chance, is there a similar topre lubrication guide ?:P

Is it a common, or even necessary procedure?
[/quote]

I've never heard of anyone lubing their Topre switches. But I don't think its necessary. They feel smooth already ^__^

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #1797 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 22:33:26 »
Hash and Bro caps do it, iirc. Ask them.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #1798 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 00:17:36 »
2 quick questions:

1.  I am currently looking at downsizing to a smaller board from a full size and am looking at the KBT race.  It has a 2nd layer function for F-row keys.  Are these accessible during boot to get into bios or select a boot drive?

2.  I am coming from mx blues, and both of the boards I am looking at are mx reds.  I do bottom the crap out of these, and really like the clickyness of the keys.  Is it going to be a dramatic difference going to the reds?
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #1799 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 00:18:44 »
Guys, I searched and lurked for a while now and cannot find the thread with realforce 87U pictures that someone mentioned was available but gave no link in another thread... It's supposed to be in-person pictures so that you can see differences between the white and black model. I tried searching to no avail. Thanks.