Author Topic: FC660M review-ish  (Read 8974 times)

Offline wicked1

FC660M review-ish
« on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 13:49:51 »
Hello,
Been lurking a long time.. Thinking about getting a mechanical KB for years. 
Initially I got a Filco full sized MX brown.  Great keyboard, but the brown switches were a bit too light for me.  It was a little loud, too, so I got o-rings for it, which I did like.

But, I wanted to try a firmer switch.  I got the leopold 660m with the MX Clears and love it!  I have no idea why I bough a full sized board the first time.  I though I'd miss the number pad, but not at all.  I do miss the enter key on the number pad, because I often used it while using the mouse.   Not anything to cause regrets, though.  The arrow keys are a need for me, so this is the perfect small keyboard.

About clear vs brown switches..  I mentioned the browns are too light for me, but it really depends on the type of typing I'm doing, or my mood.  It's easier to be quiet if I type carefully on the browns (as in at night w/ my girlfriend sleeping on the couch next to me).  I can see where the browns could be better for long term relaxed typing as well as skilled fast typing (I'm not that skilled).  The clears are a little too firm when I'm tired and have a lot of typing to do.   They are great though for normal typing and especially good for when I'm banging away typing as fast as possible.  I always bottomed out on the browns, but the clears, not so much.  They get firmer as you go, so it's easy to stop after the bump w/out bottoming out.  No need for the o-rings, either, because I'm not hitting the bottom.

To be honest I mostly joined so I could post a pic of my keycap decision and say thanks for all the advice I have indirectly gotten by reading the forums.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: FC660M review-ish
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 23:25:30 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

"I mostly joined so I could post a pic of my keycap decision" - you'll fit in well around here ;)

Another happy FC660x user.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Steven

• Formerly lowyatguy
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 21:15:03 »
Hello,
Initially I got a Filco full sized MX brown.  Great keyboard, but the brown switches were a bit too light for me.  It was a little loud, too, so I got o-rings for it, which I did like.

But, I wanted to try a firmer switch.  I got the leopold 660m with the MX Clears and love it!  I have no idea why I bough a full sized board the first time.  I though I'd miss the number pad, but not at all.  I do miss the enter key on the number pad, because I often used it while using the mouse.   Not anything to cause regrets, though.  The arrow keys are a need for me, so this is the perfect small keyboard.

About clear vs brown switches..  I mentioned the browns are too light for me, but it really depends on the type of typing I'm doing, or my mood.  It's easier to be quiet if I type carefully on the browns (as in at night w/ my girlfriend sleeping on the couch next to me).  I can see where the browns could be better for long term relaxed typing as well as skilled fast typing (I'm not that skilled).  The clears are a little too firm when I'm tired and have a lot of typing to do.   They are great though for normal typing and especially good for when I'm banging away typing as fast as possible.  I always bottomed out on the browns, but the clears, not so much.  They get firmer as you go, so it's easy to stop after the bump w/out bottoming out.  No need for the o-rings, either, because I'm not hitting the bottom.

To be honest I mostly joined so I could post a pic of my keycap decision and say thanks for all the advice I have indirectly gotten by reading the forums.
I do love my FC660M, the PBT surface is kinda rough and having a good solid feel to type on. Mine is with brown. :D

« Last Edit: Thu, 19 September 2013, 21:20:45 by lowyatguy »
LF: Duck Mini V1 aka Duck Poker Case
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49840.0
-----------------------------------------------------
KMAC Happy | Hammer Poker Titanium & Silver | Leopold FC660M | FILCO TKL White | Ducky 9008S2 Pink | Ducky 9008G2 Pro Dye Sub | Ducky YOTD

Offline Beca

• what am i doing with my life
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 22:48:58 »
Hello,

I do love my FC660M, the PBT surface is kinda rough and having a good solid feel to type on. Mine is with brown. :D

Where did you purchase those colored blanks from? Are they the same keycap height as the default Leopold caps? Looks nice!

Offline Steven

• Formerly lowyatguy
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 02:11:53 »
Hello,

Where did you purchase those colored blanks from? Are they the same keycap height as the default Leopold caps? Looks nice!

They are the keycaps set by Leopold for FC660M and I got them from china ebay www.taobao.com
LF: Duck Mini V1 aka Duck Poker Case
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49840.0
-----------------------------------------------------
KMAC Happy | Hammer Poker Titanium & Silver | Leopold FC660M | FILCO TKL White | Ducky 9008S2 Pink | Ducky 9008G2 Pro Dye Sub | Ducky YOTD

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 11:47:45 »
Considering to order a 660m, and I'd like to get some feedback from you.

What would you recommend to get? gray or black case, blue or brown switches?

On switch I am currently typing on reds, but considering blues. Main activity is writing reports like 9 hours per day. On case color I may order black or gray, I have black and beige original Cherrie sets and purple mods.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 16:20:19 »

On switch I am currently typing on reds, but considering blues. Main activity is writing reports like 9 hours per day. On case color I may order black or gray, I have black and beige original Cherrie sets and purple mods.

Ultimately it is up to you - it is you who will be using the keyboard for months, if not years to come.

Personally for so much typing I would consider whether the noise of blues would annoy anyone around me.  If so, get browns (or reds).  If not, get blues as the clicky feedback is great.

I also believe that purple mods go better with a black case.  YMMV.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 17:31:56 »

Thank you for the feedback and your opinion has reinforced my final decision:

Black case with brown switches. As you said, it is very personal, but feedback of fellow GHrs is always welcome. BTW I found a nice vote report on mechanical keyboards that helped me to decide the switch type:

[size=78%]http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/mechanical_switches.php[/size]

Ultimately it is up to you - it is you who will be using the keyboard for months, if not years to come.

Personally for so much typing I would consider whether the noise of blues would annoy anyone around me.  If so, get browns (or reds).  If not, get blues as the clicky feedback is great.

I also believe that purple mods go better with a black case.  YMMV.