Author Topic: First mechanical ever  (Read 1555 times)

Offline Akrax

First mechanical ever
« on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:47:05 »
Hi,
I'm new here and after 2 nights of study ;) I need your ultimate advice.
I'll go for browns and tenkeyless but you prefer QuickFire TK or Filco Majestouch-2?

I read about the hard-to-switch mode for the numpad of the TK that is nearly impracticable for worksheet like use so I think the only thing that makes me undecided is the backlight feature.

So?

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
Re: First mechanical ever
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:51:14 »
Quickfire TK has some weird keys which make it hard to get custom keycaps.

Filco or Quickfire Rapid.  Check out Leopold too.

Offline nden

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 14:15:45 »
Just wait for Ducky shine 3 TKL. It's coming out soon

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 14:16:37 »
Quickfire Rapid is an oft-recommended beginner mechanical.  It really depends on what you need.  If you are really down to either the TK or the Filco, then it should depend on how much you want a tenkey pad.  Let me say, though, that if you expect to get pulled in to the "lifestyle" of GeekHack, then you probably want the Filco (or QFR to save some money).  If you are expecting to just buy one and stay out of the scene, I always mention my personal faves from EK (Realforce, Leopold)

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 14:21:11 »
Filco MJ-2 would be my #1 choice.

Cheaper option, and my #2 choice, would be Leopold FC200R. (even though it's not one of your choices).

Also if you do a lot of spreadsheet work, and feel like you need a numpad, get a separate numpad.

This would be my #1 choice for Cherry MX numpad right now:  Leopold FC210TP, with either blues or browns.  Super value at $45 (USD) at EK.  http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,tenkeypads
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 14:22:28 »
Quickfire Rapid is an oft-recommended beginner mechanical.  It really depends on what you need.  If you are really down to either the TK or the Filco, then it should depend on how much you want a tenkey pad.  Let me say, though, that if you expect to get pulled in to the "lifestyle" of GeekHack, then you probably want the Filco (or QFR to save some money).  If you are expecting to just buy one and stay out of the scene, I always mention my personal faves from EK (Realforce, Leopold)
Yeah whether or not you are gonna stay around the kbd scene is pretty important.  Although I never thought I would stick around lol.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 14:36:00 »
Just wait for Ducky shine 3 TKL. It's coming out soon

I would assume he wants a tenkey on his computer, given that he mentioned the QF TK and spreadsheet work,as well as the filco (not all filco's are TKL)
---
FOr fullsize keyboard, the WASD V2 looks like an excellent choice, especially if you want to customize your keycaps or add your own. It's not backlit though (there aren't many fullsize backlit keyboards)

From the two you listed, either should be excellent, but the filco majestouch 2 is a more popular choice here and it's better supported with community projects (replacement controller, etc.)

Offline Akrax

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 14:50:48 »
I really appreciated your answers, and now I'll place my order for the Filco.
Happy typing :)

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 14:54:25 »
I really appreciated your answers, and now I'll place my order for the Filco.
Happy typing :)

Get a NumPad too!  Either Filco or Leo.  Both are good.  But the Filco will match better!
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.