Author Topic: [IC]Bolo Unicorn(Cherry Profile)  (Read 2466 times)

Offline Fannie_w

[IC]Bolo Unicorn(Cherry Profile)
« on: Mon, 10 April 2023, 09:01:27 »
Bolo Unicorn

Hi,everyone!It's long time no see.
Unicorn was designed after GMK Yeeti.
At first I wanted to make colored macarons on the keycaps,and that's how the unicorn was born.
Because the manufacturers have to queue for a long time, but I would like to get the physical key cap faster.
So I found a factory to make the keyset.

Renderings
all kits

zoom65 by wuque studio

more renderings are coming soon...

Shootings
think6.5 by gary studio

vn96 by Dukharo

all kit

information
PBT Dye Sub
Cherry Profile
1.38mm thickness
154 keys

Interest check&video will upload later...

Vendors
TBA
U can contact me on Discord:66Fannie99#8288
Thanks for watching and looking forward to your suggestions ;D

« Last Edit: Mon, 10 April 2023, 09:04:53 by Fannie_w »

Offline Bobatype

• Discord ID: BobaSweatandTears#1659
Re: [IC]Bolo Unicorn(Cherry Profile)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 11 April 2023, 00:26:28 »
Cute pastel rainbow colourway with adorable novelties.
It's great to see photos of the full set sample ahead of time. Especially when it's a newer dyesub PBT manufacturer that the community is unfamiliar with. Are there other sets they have made?
The keycap wall thickness will have some detractors, so perhaps a sound test may help? (Although who knows how much to trust sound test videos).

Is there an estimate for the all-in-one base kit cost?
Seems like you're forcing novelty designs for the enters, arrow keys (including accents), and tsangan bottom row modifiers which is a bold decision.  Is there a total key limit restriction for the packaging or pricing target limit?

There's no basic 40s compatibility which some users would be annoyed about, nor cover for other spacebars, but I presume the target market for this set, is more for the casual consumer that goes for cute sets and keyboards in the beginner/budget range. The geekhack community which skews towards more unique layouts isn't the target demo here.
Maybe one day you can do a more uniform profile with centred legends?

I do think the Enter novelty key should spell 'UNICORN' and not 'UNICON'. I know it's probably a deliberate decision due to the constraints of the keycap size and the scale you want the letters to be at, but do try to find an alternative solution, as it looks a bit odd.
Either a different novelty, or adjust the kerning/scale to fit the R in there too.
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 April 2023, 00:29:55 by bobasweatandtears »

Offline aicyborg

Re: [IC]Bolo Unicorn(Cherry Profile)
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 11 April 2023, 17:39:09 »
Your ISO support is incorrect. You have an R3 key for @' and ~# which are used for ISO-UK, but you don't have 2" and 3£ to complete ISO-UK. Please consider either adding the additional keys to complete, or remove them and only offer terminal ISO (R4 <>, R3 backslash and pipe, ISO enter, 1.25u LShift).

Editing to add that the colours are cute here and I am somewhat interested, only apprehensive because of the unproven manufacturer. As Boba said you should probably fix the "UNICON" novelties, though!
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 April 2023, 17:44:22 by aicyborg »